• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is SWA still calling for Interviews?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TipTank, I totally feel your pain. I took well over 18 credits per term while flying the line full time. I got so burned out, I quit with only three classes left.

A question for those in the know...

I recently had a naturally occuring "event" which signficantly damaged my airplane, but ended happily with a safe landing. As a result of this I have to say yes to one of the "have you ever" questions. I fully explain it in the block provided, but does it weigh against me regardless?

Not at all, I had a PA-24-250 once in my life and the engine quit on me at night. Landed it safely on a hiway. It went on my official record but SWA loved the story because of what I made of it. Some things are beyond our control, what you make of the situation is what SWA really cares about.

bake

sat74 said:
I know someone who was a RJ FO, knew no one @ SWA, had no type, got called for Sept 2001 interview, interview cancelled due to 9/11, then when they started calling again they reinstated the type requirement to interview. After some time went by, they dropped that requirement, he got the type, is a captain now with plenty of time, and still cannot get called!

WTF?

Hindsight is 20/20. But if this person had done the research they would have known to go get the type. The type schools were going gangbusters Dec 2001 to the end of 2002. Higher power tripled their class sizes. The competition for a SWA interview got intense starting in 2002.

For those of you that did get the call, did any of you have any speeding tickets? Did they question you about it in the interview? Did you get hired?

I'm just another of the many pilots patiently waiting to hear the phone ring. And yes, I did put all (4) of my speeding tickets on the application and no, I have not gotten a call. Stats are:

Total: 5045
Turbine PIC: 2800 (all turbo-prop 135)
B-737 type
4 year degree
No FAA actions
Instructor pilot at 135 (no checkairman or chief pilot)
current job as FO for 121 turbojet outfit.

I'm pretty hopefull the call will come soon.

Thanks to everyone for all of the input and news.

sat74 said:
I know someone who was a RJ FO, knew no one @ SWA, had no type, got called for Sept 2001 interview, interview cancelled due to 9/11, then when they started calling again they reinstated the type requirement to interview. After some time went by, they dropped that requirement, he got the type, is a captain now with plenty of time, and still cannot get called!

WTF?

WN never changed the type requirement to interview post 9/11. That's an old wive's tale.

Metro-mia I had 3 speeding tickets, my buddy had 5 we both got hired. Even though it was on our applications they never mentioned it in the interview.

miles otoole said:
WN never changed the type requirement to interview post 9/11. That's an old wive's tale.

I agree with Miles but I will add additional info.

The people department did change interview policy. Instead of "everyone who meets the mins will get an interview" policy they changed it to "who is most competitive". This was before they went to the computerized system.

You could still get an interview without type after 9/11 but those with it started getting called much sooner after applying than those without. I know for a fact those with non-type applications waited a year or more and those with type waited 2-5 months.

Hope this history channel moment was helpful.

Last edited:
JetFumes...

JetFumes said:
Yes, they are still calling. Just got the call to interview. 5250 total, 2200 Turbine PIC, 121. Three types (737 included) Checkairman experience. College degree.. I think they like the checkairman thing. Anything that shows you get more involved in your comany than just being a regular line guy gets their attention, I'm guessing. Also, update your application every week or so. I didn't get the call until after I had been doing that.

What day did you get the call to interview and what days did they offer for interview dates?

Thanks in advance and congrats!

Latest resources

Back