• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is Skywest ALPA drive dead?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In a 24-hour period, more than 20 ALPA pilots contacted approximately 1,200 SkyWest pilots as part of a new outreach program.

Through this initiative, the Association will use pilots throughout ALPA’s vast system to establish an ALPA-wide Pilot-to-Pilot® committee to work on our current SkyWest organizing campaign, as well as other organizing campaigns in the near future.

“ALPA wants to help SkyWest pilots secure a stable and prosperous job, now and in the future,” said ALPA’s president, Capt. John Prater. “That’s true for the high percentage of SkyWest pilots who will go on to work at ALPA carriers, and for the SkyWest pilots who will be at SkyWest for their careers.”

Each pilot has an important role to play in the future of this Association as ALPA’s ambassadors. You are ALPA, and you, better than any newsletter or website, can talk about what it means to be a part of this effective union. If you are interested in participating in this outreach program, please e-mail Ron Rindfleisch, from ALPA’s Communications Department, at Ron.Rindfleisch at alpa.org.

I will have to treat those phone calls like I treat any other telemarketing call. tell them I am on the do not call list and if they call me again then they will be hearing from the FCC. If I wanted to talk to them I would get in touch with them. Leave us alone, you bore most of us

HelloNewman said:
As long as I don't have to pay dues if it gets voted in then I don't really care one way or the other, as long as the former non members don't have to pay dues unless they want to.

So you are willing to ride on the coattails of an ALPA-represented pilot group advancing your pay & workrules, but are unwilling to pay the 1.95% for their services? YGBSM.

So you are willing to ride on the coattails of an ALPA-represented pilot group advancing your pay & workrules, but are unwilling to pay the 1.95% for their services? YGBSM.

Well Said

The skywest guys will never buck up and pay their dues.

when I'm convinced that ALPA will improve my QOL by:

-raising my pay
-positioning my company to sustain it's current position and competitively compete for future opportunities

then I'll vote for it.

for now, I'll enjoy earning more than my counterparts at other regionals, working at a company that is thriving, and working with folks who appreciate what we have here.

the ALPA drive is well intentioned and I respect those who think that things would improve with them on property. The numbers coming in say that their message is not convincing, however, and the former ALPA folks send a stronger message.

the final straw, for me, is the hateful attitudes of so many on this board (thanks for the PM airtime! adds credence to my opinions) and our internal forums who support ALPA. I don't want that attitude officially instilled into our company culture with the inherent adversarial construct that is ALPA.

-raising my pay
-positioning my company to sustain it's current position and competitively compete for future opportunities

then I'll vote for it.

SKYNATION,

This philosophy is very flawed for two reasons.

1)The reason you get what you get is because the unionized companies faught so hard for it. If it wasn't for ALPA, wages, QOL, etc would be much different across the board for everyone.

2)The other reason why you have what you have is because they give you just enough to quell the union fire. Alpa conducted an unofficial pole and found the it was almost 50 50 for/against unionization...The company is laughing histerically at this. They have given just enough to keep the union off property...but not to much to make everyone content.

In short, you and your skywest counterparts reep the benefits of the unions, whether you have it or not. You sit and ride the coatails while talking about how it doesn't do anyone anygood...you need to wake up to reality. You may not be a union member, or pay dues, but you ARE seeing the benefits of the union...so enjoy the coatail ride.

-raising my pay

then I'll vote for it.

You seemed very concerned about yourself. What about the rest of us?

for now, I'll enjoy earning more than my counterparts at other regionals, working at a company that is thriving, and working with folks who appreciate what we have here.

You enjoy what you have because your pay, QOL, etc is based upon union contracts.

the ALPA drive is well intentioned and I respect those who think that things would improve with them on property. The numbers coming in say that their message is not convincing, however, and the former ALPA folks send a stronger message.

Keep in mind the World is not Skywest or St. George. National and International issues have arrived. Sure life is good now, but how long do you think it will be? Historically, no airline has been in such good times for any amount time.

Your unrepresented pilot group will have no chance against the impacts of the next 5-10 years.

Why do you think Skywest is doing well now? As a regional that feeds major airlines, is it Skywests superior management or the strings that are pulled from Elk Grove and Atlanta?

the final straw, for me, is the hateful attitudes of so many on this board (thanks for the PM airtime! adds credence to my opinions) and our internal forums who support ALPA. I don't want that attitude officially instilled into our company culture with the inherent adversarial construct that is ALPA.

You have a valid point with your last paragraph. Communication should be positive and respectful.

Your sig line of unionfacts..... If you try and find out who supports unionfacts.org you have no luck. Rick Berman runs the website. He has worked against Mother Against Drunk Dirving to raise the BAC limit, all so social drinkers can drive home after a few.....

Unionfacts.org is simply an anti union website. It is spin data so people formed biased attitudes about unions. It is hardly facts. Use your free will.

Last edited:
If ALPA does not get on the SkyWest property, they only have ALPA to blame. Even though ALPA would be good for the SkyWest pilots in particular and the industry in general, ALPA has failed in their representational duty to regional pilots as they repeatedly sold us down the river by promoting mainline interests above other members who they owed a fair duty of representation to.

Further, ALPA should aggressively use scope and the power of their contractual negotiating to strip airlines like SkyWest of their flying. ALPA should not play nice. ALPA should play to be effective.

If ALPA would use their seat at the table to draw a line that included ALPA members, the SkyWest pilots would sign up so they too could sit at the table.

If you have them by the short hairs, their hearts and minds will follow. Instead, ALPA has been trying to sell something the SkyWest pilots don't yet need.

I'd be willing to bet that HelloNewman and Skynation will be on the organizing committee for the union drive in '09. It happens every time. Some new guys come in thinking SkyWest is utopia and after awhile their eyes get opened. Next thing you know they're screaming "we need a union!". Only problem is that some other new guys have come in and taken their place and before you know it another union drive is dead. Maybe someday this idiotic cycle will cease, but I'm not holding my breath.

Latest resources

Back