Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, theese threads will never end! There should be a section for RJDC, PFT, Boxers or briefs............

No one will ever agree.....

:rolleyes:

N9103M said:
Man, theese threads will never end! There should be a section for RJDC, PFT, Boxers or briefs............

No one will ever agree.....

:rolleyes:

You're right. I like your avatar :)

Still sounds kinda cruddy to me. People with 800TT are not getting calls for airline jobs. But in this case it seems that you "dropped a check" at Gulfstream which gave you this chance at Pinnacle. Most people are not getting this chance as much as you try to justify that you got in just like everyone else.

Im not bashing anyone here, im just saying it sucks big time that people are paying for right seats when they hit 300 hours and are rewarded with preferential treatmeant at a good airline. I just dont see the logic, when there are plenty of people who have been working hard, and paying dues, and arent even getting a single phone call, while people such as this are getting into RJs. Life sucks i guess.

Think of it from a management standpoint.

If they hire 200 pilots that are willing to pay for their own training (regardless of whether they wash out or not), it just saved the airline $2m (using $10k as the cost of training).

The bottom line on the financial statement is all management cares about or needs to care about. Their responsibility is to the shareholders, not to anyone else.

I can't see myself paying $10k for a job with 300 TT. But if I got to what some of the CFIs at my school are at now, 2000 TT and with no job in sight, I would probably be ready to crack.

Vik said:
I can't see myself paying $10k for a job with 300 TT. But if I got to what some of the CFIs at my school are at now, 2000 TT and with no job in sight, I would probably be ready to crack.

And THAT is exactly why there was PFT, because there were people willing to pay for it... I CFI'ed until I had over 2,400 hours... No way was I going to pay someone for a job!

It comes down to pride. Im willing to wait the extra years until i get hired on so i dont have to mumble where i got my start at.

Falcon Capt,

I guess everyones situation might be different. If I were 30, and was still making $15k/yr or less as a CFI, that $10k I spent towards training might double my income.

I'm 23 now and I can easily say I wouldn't PFT. If I had started flying later in life and say I am 30, 2,000 TT, finished 3yrs+ of CFIing, I might not have that same attitude.

Some CFIs have a wife and kids to feed. I can't imagine having to support a family on CFI wages especially in SoCal where I am.

Sorry Dear, we just have to go on food stamps and sell the kids 'cause I just spent all of our money on this neato program to get directly into the right seat of a B1900.

Pride v. selling your soul

KingAirer said:
It comes down to pride. Im willing to wait the extra years until i get hired on so i dont have to mumble where i got my start at.
(emphasis added)

That's it, exactly. Or, worse yet, how you got your start.

Don't worry so much about the instructing hours piling up without a regional, etc. hiring you. Very few regionals are hiring. You just can't stop flying altogether because you've hit the "too many hours instructing" threshold in your career. None of it won't matter once hiring starts up again. Also, consider that you are working as a pilot when so many more are not working.

Vik said:
Some CFIs have a wife and kids to feed. I can't imagine having to support a family on CFI wages especially in SoCal where I am.

Ok, Riddle me this.... If you are so hard up for money to feed the wife and kids, why would you take $10,000 (that you probably don't have because you are broke from being a CFI) and spend it all at once to increase your income from $15k to $22k? That extra $7k per year will only be about $5k per year take home pay. So now it takes you 2 years to recoup your investment...

Don't you think given 2 years time you would find a better job anyhow?

When I was flight instructing back in the early 90's there were guys (NOT from my school) who were doing PFT... and eneded up making $17k or so... I CFI'ed for an extra 6-9 months and got a charter job making $31k... Their Captains at the PFT airlines weren't even making that... and upgrades were 2-3 years min.

It just isn't worth it, and if you need the income sooo bad, you can't afford the PFT...

I agree with KingAirer... The decisions you make can (and will) follow you for a very long time in your career... Don't do something dumb early on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back