• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Is on demand cargo dead?

• Yes

Votes: 95 28.0%
  • No

Votes: 53 15.6%
  • It is slow, but will come back eventually.

Votes: 191 56.3%

• Total voters
Ironically Atlas, Gemini, Polar, and others all were born during very tough times when the leasing companies became stuck with 747's. The put them to work when they could not lease them as did the other companies with DC10F's etc.

Ironically Atlas, Gemini, Polar, and others all were born during very tough times when the leasing companies became stuck with 747's. The put them to work when they could not lease them as did the other companies with DC10F's etc.

Polar wasn't born as a leasing company, it was a start up by a bunch of ex-Tiger guys in 93.

This guy in an MU2 is extremely unbusy. Not dead, but let's say "in critical condition and time to call the next of kin."

True dat. This MU-2 guy has seen his loads drop off by about 55% in the past 4 weeks and is hearing the couriers say "Run is gonna be cancelled" more times than he ever has.

I am just curious, do the Japanese and German automakers employ you guys for just in time delivery?

I've flown for most of the Japanese auto makers, VW, BMW, Kenworth, Caterpillar and Peterbilt. The majority of my flying is usually GM or Ford though.

As for updated equipment. On-demand freight will be the last to get it. We only run cheap stuff. You probably couldn't trade every part 135 freighter that passed through YIP in 2008 for one 747-400. It has to be an airplane that has absolutely no or few other uses. I thought ERJ 135s might find there way to freight, but then people started turning them into half price Legacys. I've also never seen a Brasilia with a big door so it might not be feasible to do it to a ERJ 135.

Last edited:
Brasilia has a big door in the back!

TransMach

Heyas,

I don't know if this is on-topic, but along with AIR-21 putting the kibosh on the check haulers, it seems like a whole segment of the business is really in a twist.

Along with that, the no one is making piston twins anymore, and those Barons and 310s are going to be used up at some point.

In about 2 years or so, it's going to be a real bear for anyone to get piston multi time.

Nu

I thought they were still making seminoles... Not that it would be a check hauler or anything more than a trainer.

True dat. This MU-2 guy has seen his loads drop off by about 55% in the past 4 weeks and is hearing the couriers say "Run is gonna be cancelled" more times than he ever has.

Mine went a couple of weeks ago. We lost another one at that time, yet another goes Jan. 1st. However, the Fed in all of its weird, infinite wisdom, is threatening to bring them all back, but not until February. Puzzle that one out for me.

Heyas,

I don't know if this is on-topic, but along with AIR-21 putting the kibosh on the check haulers, it seems like a whole segment of the business is really in a twist.

Along with that, the no one is making piston twins anymore, and those Barons and 310s are going to be used up at some point.

In about 2 years or so, it's going to be a real bear for anyone to get piston multi time.

Nu

Ahhh, but the mighty 402, with the spar mod, will soldier on forever!!

Hung

Lawn-chairs and straps for seats, engine plugs for first class, cargo net for business and I guess you will just have to ******************** in the tool bag. Not much room for a lav with the cargo setup! Sounds first class to me!

Latest resources

Back