• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is NetJets a career place?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is Netjets a career option? That depends on your options. I'd say without question, the pay and benefits are capable of sustaning a reasonable QOL during your working years. The flying is interesting, the equipment is about as good as it gets, and you get to fly to some great places. I've been out of fractional flying for a couple years now, but I'd say with the improved contract that Netjets just landed, it's an even better place to be. BUT!!!

I don't care if you work for WN, UPS, FedEx,or Netjets. The future is uncertain. So we'll throw that factor out.

You'll never know if you like it and want to stay until you do it. I flew (though Swift) Netjets and Flight Options trips for four years. Loved it for about three of those years. But the extranious B.S. you have to put up with in fractional flying makes you want to put the gun barrel to your head! (probably better now with the new contract). The moral in the whole industry was exceptionally low. A few years back though, next to know one had any options so we were stuck. Things have opened up a little these days, and now there are some options. (I'm not going to count 121 regionals because we all know, 95% of those jobs aren't the best of career choices).

I left Swift, (making better money, working a better schedule, and having better benefits than Options and Netjets) to go to AWA. (see my "future uncertain" comment). I now have a MUCH better schedule, have MUCH better benefits and my QOL is 400% better than it was before. I do make about 20k less than I was though. But fortunately I was in a financial postition to do it and It was without question, the best move I've ever made. I've been flying professionally for 12 years now and finally, I'm getting paid to be a pilot. If it lasts, the money will come. (at a rate higher than any fractional will pay for much less work). Thanks to the advice I got from three friends who use to fly fractional and went majors, I did the same. Without their advice, I'd probably still be an angry fractional pilot.

I'm not bashing the fractionals at all. I'm just deffending those of us who left fractional flying to go to a Major. (haven't run into one who said it was a bad choice) If you truely love it, its a great career path. But don't give up other career choices. Ya, you fly to interesting places and you get to fly Liz Hurley, but trust me, the novalty wears of quick. The whole "in 121 flying you fly to the same ole places" is a worn out cliche. If you love TEB, MMU, HPN, SJC, MDW, PBI and VNY, the fractionals are for you.

Good luck.

xcrew said:
What was his estimate for upgrade and progression when "HE" got hired at AA?

I'll bet it was much longer than five years. But even as a F/O at AA, I'll bet it was at a pay rate much much larger than what he is making at Netjets. xcrew, I think you missed the point.

I have heard stories (and they could be just that) that some fractional pilots (in this case former NJA pilots) have left for greener pastures at JetBlue, Frontier and CAL and have regretted their decision.

JetBlue, in particular, was signalled out as a "disappointment" by a few of these former-frax individuals for a variety of reasons (I am sure discussed on other forums). Sure, you can't make everyone happy and no place is perfect by any stretch. I just know that expectations were not met in these specific cases and these people were upset about their decisions.

Not saying JetBlue or any of these places wouldn't be great to work at, but has anyone heard stories of fractional pilots leaving for the "big time" majors and then regretting their move and wanting to return? Would NJA accept a returning pilot who left previoiusly for a 121 job? Maybe the grass isn't always greener... I sure know my 121 regional job is far from perfect.

johnsonrod said:
I have heard stories (and they could be just that) that some fractional pilots (in this case former NJA pilots) have left for greener pastures at JetBlue, Frontier and CAL and have regretted their decision.

JetBlue, in particular, was signalled out as a "disappointment" by a few of these former-frax individuals for a variety of reasons (I am sure discussed on other forums). Sure, you can't make everyone happy and no place is perfect by any stretch. I just know that expectations were not met in these specific cases and these people were upset about their decisions.

Not saying JetBlue or any of these places wouldn't be great to work at, but has anyone heard stories of fractional pilots leaving for the "big time" majors and then regretting their move and wanting to return? Would NJA accept a returning pilot who left previoiusly for a 121 job? Maybe the grass isn't always greener... I sure know my 121 regional job is far from perfect.

NJA has taken people back who left for a 121 company.

johnsonrod said:
but has anyone heard stories of fractional pilots leaving for the "big time" majors and then regretting their move and wanting to return? quote]

I'm sure any pilot that left to go to a major then got furloughed probably regreted their decision to some degree. You just never now. Leaving any flying job for another is a gamble. Some times you win, some you loose.

One pilot's "BS" may be another's "variety" that makes the job interesting. Certainly, frac flying is different. The definition of what is better--frac or 121--is personal preference. They both should offer professional compensation, a QOL, and long-term career viability so that the final decision rests where it should--on the actual differences between the two.

No one has a crystal ball and any career move is a big decision. All anyone can do is take a good look before they leap. I wish you all a good landing. NJW

xrated said:
Is Netjets a career option? That depends on your options. I'd say without question, the pay and benefits are capable of sustaning a reasonable QOL during your working years. The flying is interesting, the equipment is about as good as it gets, and you get to fly to some great places. I've been out of fractional flying for a couple years now, but I'd say with the improved contract that Netjets just landed, it's an even better place to be. BUT!!!

I don't care if you work for WN, UPS, FedEx,or Netjets. The future is uncertain. So we'll throw that factor out.

You'll never know if you like it and want to stay until you do it. I flew (though Swift) Netjets and Flight Options trips for four years. Loved it for about three of those years. But the extranious B.S. you have to put up with in fractional flying makes you want to put the gun barrel to your head! (probably better now with the new contract). The moral in the whole industry was exceptionally low. A few years back though, next to know one had any options so we were stuck. Things have opened up a little these days, and now there are some options. (I'm not going to count 121 regionals because we all know, 95% of those jobs aren't the best of career choices).

I left Swift, (making better money, working a better schedule, and having better benefits than Options and Netjets) to go to AWA. (see my "future uncertain" comment). I now have a MUCH better schedule, have MUCH better benefits and my QOL is 400% better than it was before. I do make about 20k less than I was though. But fortunately I was in a financial postition to do it and It was without question, the best move I've ever made. I've been flying professionally for 12 years now and finally, I'm getting paid to be a pilot. If it lasts, the money will come. (at a rate higher than any fractional will pay for much less work). Thanks to the advice I got from three friends who use to fly fractional and went majors, I did the same. Without their advice, I'd probably still be an angry fractional pilot.

I'm not bashing the fractionals at all. I'm just deffending those of us who left fractional flying to go to a Major. (haven't run into one who said it was a bad choice) If you truely love it, its a great career path. But don't give up other career choices. Ya, you fly to interesting places and you get to fly Liz Hurley, but trust me, the novalty wears of quick. The whole "in 121 flying you fly to the same ole places" is a worn out cliche. If you love TEB, MMU, HPN, SJC, MDW, PBI and VNY, the fractionals are for you.

Good luck.

AWA, is that US Airways? if so, did you look at airlinepilotpay.com? the netjets pay scale and benefits aren't too bad. Plus at Netjets you only work half of the year.

Hawker dude said:
AWA, is that US Airways? if so, did you look at airlinepilotpay.com? the netjets pay scale and benefits aren't too bad. Plus at Netjets you only work half of the year.

Only work half the year? Let's see 7 on, 7 off with 14 hours of duty per day . 14*7=98 hours per tour times 2=196 hours of duty per month. A forty hour work-week=160 hours per month. You aren't off half of the month. The guy above has flown both he is saying which is better and he sounds pretty convincing. Even in their current state a major airline guy with accrued seniority will get 17-18 days off per month. Apples to oranges.

Hawker dude said:

I'm working under the AWA contract. I never said the netjets pay scale was bad, especially after the new contract. Though pay is close, with the exception of "base" first year pay, the airline pays better. And trust me, I work A LOT less than I did doing the 6&4, 7&7, and 8&7 schedules I use too. (plus, right out of the gate, I had three weeks of vacation). On reserve, I "work" much less than half the year. I was gone 5 days in the month of Feb. While at work, the flying is much more productive, more efficient and therefore much less fatiguing than that of the fractionals. Benefits are comprable, but still better at the airline. (I do miss the hotel points).

Not trying to start a pi$$ing match. The original poster asked if Netjets was a career choice. He also mentioned that he only wanted to make one more move. (Don't we all). Looking back at my experience, if I were to limit myself to one more move, I'd hold out for the airlines.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back