• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is NetJets a career place?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A fair amount of Netjets pilots will have to commute in the future and that commute will be more painful and unbearable for them then it will be for an individual with jumpseat privileges. Just tell both sides of the story. The best case scenario for a NJA guy is being presented while the worst case for an airline guy is being presented in the above examples. What about the FedEx or UPS guys who live in base and bid reserve and go one or two months in a row without working and are home with their wife and kids everyday? How about the Major airline guys that live in base and bid day turns or two day trips and have 17 and 18 off? I am truly happy for the HBA guys @ NJA they deserve it for the quality of life and the added time home with their most precious investments their wives and kids. The ones above who are spouting off about not having to commute should just realize that those who come after them will not enjoy the same luxuries that they do. ANd yes I have commuted before so I know what a bit%h it is.

Last edited:
gunfyter said:
Hogprint said:
I think you just hit 214 with the lowest blow he coud take... Don't know how he will recover from being mistaken for h25B... LOL

I don't know this H25B fella but the only unbearable blow that I've ever taken is when the most accomplished team in sports history lost a 3-0 lead in the A.L.C.S. to those thugs in Boston.

I think that it's too soon to say how the Domicile System will turn out. Are they going to be able to attract the experienced pilots that they want? We're already hearing pilots say that it's a show stopper for them. Will they get enough pilots to live in expensive cities for low wages? That's problematic. Will it give them the crew pairing and cost savings they're counting on? That's unknown. Will the pros outweigh the cons? That remains to be seen.

In the meantime, if pilots out there are deciding not to apply because of that restrictive policy, it certainly couldn't hurt to tell NJA that was the deciding factor. My sympathies to all those affected families. I'm sorry that you're having to bear the brunt of what could turn out to be a bad business decision. It certainly wasn't something the pilots wanted.

I'm sorry that you're having to bear the brunt of what could turn out to be a bad business decision. It certainly wasn't something the pilots wanted....NJW

Yet another extremely poor business decision made by our crack management team...Let's think of some others:

- Selling off the core fleet
- Pre-ordered food at the busiest airports for us....the homeless in TEB ate well for a few months becasue of that one.
- Fuel savings program for straight wing planes
- Switching to an inferior uniform provider
- E-Bay and PayPal program (well I guess some people benefitted from this one)
- The 400XP program

Hey, they wanted the Domicile program. I voted for it believing that it would never work long term and the Company would be forced to exercise their options as perscribed in the CBA. Its just too bad we are going to have to pass on alot of really qualified people becasue of it. Let's hope it doesn't take them forever to realize it.

So let's do a quick, unscientific calculation for the heck of it. How long did it take the company
to realize their folly in the above examples you've so astutely provided us, DO-82?

netjetwife said:
I think that it's too soon to say how the Domicile System will turn out. Are they going to be able to attract the experienced pilots that they want? We're already hearing pilots say that it's a show stopper for them. Will they get enough pilots to live in expensive cities for low wages? That's problematic. Will it give them the crew pairing and cost savings they're counting on? That's unknown. Will the pros outweigh the cons? That remains to be seen.

In the meantime, if pilots out there are deciding not to apply because of that restrictive policy, it certainly couldn't hurt to tell NJA that was the deciding factor. My sympathies to all those affected families. I'm sorry that you're having to bear the brunt of what could turn out to be a bad business decision. It certainly wasn't something the pilots wanted.

Just got an email back from NJA HR saying my friend is hardly competitive with 5000 hours and 2 type ratings. New hire starting dates are out to May. So far they don't seem to have a problem with either one yet. Unless they're giving me BS.

I think part of the problem is people wanting to go to NJA (or any other year one position at another company) and expecting everything to be sweetness and light.

It's not. Things at any aviation job with a seniority list won't be "great" for a few years. They probably won't even be good. Too many people are expecting the same QOL as the top 10% of the list when they are in the bottom 10%. Everyone wants to come out of Riddle or Purdue or wherever and step into the left seat of a 747 or GV.

NJA's 7/7 schedule is awsome for a newhire. I've worked 18-20 days of reserve in JFK as a newhire. I've worked 3/3 international. (You don't even get turned around before you have to head back.) And, I've done 5 on/2 off on domestic. All while commuting.

I've worked the panel which sucks regardless of pay. All of this happened before the airlines went into the toilet. It wasn't fun. In fact, it didn't really get fun until I upgraded--11 years after I got hired. Pace yourselves.

From the outside, considering what I've experienced, NJA seems like a decent place to spend your career. Anyplace can suck when the music stops and the upgrades slow. That WILL happen to the darlings of today and you'll be stuck making crappy FO pay with no upgrade in sight. It's a roll of the dice.

At least at NJA you won't be stuck sitting in a crashpad in Queens 20 days a month.TC

as214 said:
A fair amount of Netjets pilots will have to commute in the future and that commute will be more painful and unbearable for them then it will be for an individual with jumpseat privileges. The ones above who are spouting off about not having to commute should just realize that those who come after them will not enjoy the same luxuries that they do.

Not "spouting" anything. Accepting employment at NJA is a choice. The company was adamant about the domicile issue in negotiations. They wanted their poison pill to use in the next round as negotiation fodder. They got it.

Do I like it? No.

Do I think it will hurt the companies chances of attracting the best talent out there. Oh yes.

Do I want to hear about complaints from newhires becasue they now "MUST" commute because they VOLUNTARILY accepted a job here knowing full well what the rules now are? Nope.

Will I seek to get that language eliminated in the next round? Maybe. It all depends on how bad the company hurts itself trying to bait the fishing pole with this particular worm. I think the value to the company in keeping this tidbit is completely SOFT value (negative pilot emotions and employee control) goods instead of HARD value (cash) goods.

I think the company will try to use the HBA/DOM issue as a bargaining chip in the the future and no matter which side winds this particular issue it is clear that one side will definetely lose.\

Accept employment here at your own risk. Sorry about the Domicile issue guys bu the company wouldn't budge. Pilots NOT taking jobs here will speak more volumes than attacking the pilots who work here now.

Latest resources

Back