Is NetJets a career place?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wankel7 said:
Lets see I do 135 charter....I work 240 days a year....rest starts 15 after the plane lands....we rock out at the super 8 and dream of a hilton...and commute to work.

Clearly, I don't see how your deal is better than mine;)

Wankel

You too? Which one, the older or younger?

as214 said:
Too much bullsh*t and intellectual dishonesty on this thread.

Hey As214, I am not sure why you are implying bullshit and dishonesty here, I have given a pretty accurate account of MY days at NJA. Do you work here also? Would you like to explain why you have a problem with my data?

And no Gunfighter, I am not in the X. Had the ability a few years ago and decided not to for the obvious reasons. It's a cool plane but I was looking for QOL.

Here's the tour I just returned from:

Day1: Airline only, go to hotel (started at 0445L today), 10.5 hours rest
Day2: 3 legs, 9 hours duty, 13 hours rest
Day3: 4 legs, 10.5 hours duty, 14.25 rest
Day4: 1 leg, 10 hours duty, 11 hours rest
Day5: 5 legs, 14 hours duty, 12 hours rest
Day6: 4 legs, 12.25 hours duty, 16 hours rest
Day7: 4 legs, 12.5 hours duty (7.2 hours flight today---the most in one day this tour) and then ferry to my home base and in my house at 2000L.

For the year 2005 I was on duty (including training) for 161 days. I only had 2 weeks vacation last year. I used some sick days to knock out one tour. Of the 161 days I did not fly for 43 of them (training, airline only, etc.). This has me flying the line for 118 days or 9.83 days per month. Pretty close to my example above.

Hey, even if you guys want to figure all 161 of my work days into the discussion, that is still only 13.4 days per month for ALL of my obligations away from home. That works out to about 16.6 days off and actually at home each month.

Again, lets remember that many of the airline folks that may only work 11 or 12 days per month are still doing some travel on THEIR time. Not me.

Last edited:
Why would you call dishonesty here? If you worked at NJA you'd know this is true, and if you don't, you have no frame of reference. Does it make you feel better to convince yourself that there are no companies out there that have a pretty good deal? We fought a long battle for this and work our butts off for these well earned bennies.

Others at NJA do work more, but in my case it's by choice. I'm reserve schedule and in my 6th year. To date two months for '06-I'm averaging 13k/month salary, not including perdiem. Because I live in one of the big 5 bases, I fly on first and last day more than most, and average lots of hours flying the X. Flew 58.5 block hours in Feb, which is not unusual. They are using me the whole 18 days allowed in the CBA as well.

The work rules and benefits are a huge deal for me. If I'm tired, if my crewmate is tired, we're done with an automatic 14 hrs rest-more if requested with no stigs attached. One benny I haven't seen posted is full medical/dental/vision coverage continues after retirement at no expense after 20 yrs service, prorated after 10 yrs service. That's huge. Lots of others as well that have been listed in other threads. Yea, this is my home till retirement. Took a lot of years to be able to say that too.

The question really is two parts.

Is Netjets a career place because of the longevity and stability of the company?
or
Is Netjets a career place because of the schedule, quality of life and pay?

Using a very direct comparison to FedEx because that's what we are really comparing this company too. The legacy carriers are dead and aren't hiring. You can go overseas to work and that has it's benefits, or go to a LCC like Southwest but for my perspective I have to compare it to a move up in the ladder.

Although a good corporate job would to me be considered a step up in a career movement but not in long term stability. Who really has any stability these days? A corp operator might go to a frax for the price but then realize that familiarity is gone and go back to their own flight department. I've seen it happen.

Is the financials of NJ something that will make a long term career. Jesus I don't know. I do know the company is willing to step over millions to pick up pennies. A prime example is the crew food, fuel savings, training cuts, the list goes on. Yet they have no problem ferrying a plane from HPN-SFO to do a leg to OAK. So any savings we just saved the company is thrown out the window by inefeciant scheduling, full price at FSI and a variety of others.

When people ask me how NJ is doing I have to give them a shrug. I have a half assed report that says we lost or gained money but we're hiring, getting more planes, and flying are buts off even harder, yet the waste continues.

So is NJ a career place in terms of company stability. Maybe thats the best answer I can give you. I think more people are getting wraped up with the union stuff than really should happen but thats another topic for another day.

In regards to a career place for the day to day work stuff.. Maybe It depends what you like and what is important to you. For me it's time off and time to spend with my family. Like my dad says NJ is a great part time job. It is but it is also in such true infancy that companies like FedEx and UPS have answered to their stock holders. They have played the game. They have their own issues. MOAB is a common word around this house right now.

A personal choice for me. Yes the QOL of life is worth it. I do like it here but lately i've taken a step back and watch attitude. (those of you that know me know it's not my style) I'm waiting for the dust to settle.

Off to have a beer.

Fozzy said:
dang, not even 1700 yet. :beer: Wish I was you.

Fozzy and ass214 what is your problem? do you not believe the Netjets pilots?

It is the truth. Heck my last tour was easier than the one in the post. I worked for the airlines and will never go back. you two need to step into reality. every pilot should have a contract this good.

HDude,

What are you talking about? You must be confused, or maybe I posted while under the influence and don't remember. :confused:
Regardless, I am a NJA pilot. Sucks some days, great others. That about sums that up.

Hawker dude said:
Fozzy and ass214 what is your problem? do you not believe the Netjets pilots?

It is the truth. Heck my last tour was easier than the one in the post. I worked for the airlines and will never go back. you two need to step into reality. every pilot should have a contract this good.

Stop with the name calling playboy. You obviously have no sense of that reality that you are spouting off about. FedEx and UPS now those are good contracts. Those are careers, Netjets is a job. Let me guess you either worked for a regional or you were furloughed from a major airline. Why do Major airline pilots not voluntarily leave their companies for NJA unless they are furloughed? I've seen many leave NJA for airlines though. Tell yourself whatever makes you feel good and allows you to sleep well at night.

Fozzy said:
HDude,

What are you talking about? You must be confused, or maybe I posted while under the influence and don't remember. :confused:
Regardless, I am a NJA pilot. Sucks some days, great others. That about sums that up.

Sorry dude, I just saw that you were agreeing with ass214. so I assumed you were with him.

Latest resources

Back