Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

J32driver

Strokin it...
Dumb question of the day award goes to me...

You are being trained as a First Officer in an airplane that requires 2 crewmembers. Should you log "SIC" and "dual received", or just "Dual Received"?

My guess... both SIC and DUAL... because the IOE Checkairman is not single pilot typed. Anyone know if my thinking is correct.

It's SIC. To be dual, the Check Airman would have to sign off your logbook, which nobody does. You aren't even told to bring your logbook with you.

SIC. You are current and qualified by virtue of your valid 121.441 checkride. This is for the airplane.

The IOE is a requirement of the operation under part 121. You are not receiving instruction, only supervision. You could fly part 91 legs all day long without completing IOE. Some regionals have done this.

Rule of thumb: log based on the airplane, not the activity. Sure you "can" log PIC in the right seat as a typed-rated sole manipulator but if your name isn't on the relaese, you shouldn't. You "can" log SIC time in a BE-200 under 135 if your ops specs require it, but you shouldn't.

IOE by definition is a revenue operation. Your ops specs would prohibit single pilot operations even if the aircraft manufacturer didn't already--making a single-pilot type moot. There is no dual to be received because you are "current and qualified" as you must be as a required crewmember. Your "training" at this point is company specific on company paperwork--not a function of certification or qualification that would need to be indicated in your logbook.

How about this one. I just got typed and am doing my PIC IOE. The captain giving the IOE is the one listed as the PIC in all the paperwork. Do I just log SIC until my IOE is completed.

rk772 said:
How about this one. I just got typed and am doing my PIC IOE. The captain giving the IOE is the one listed as the PIC in all the paperwork. Do I just log SIC until my IOE is completed.

Thats what I did.

Yes you log SIC until IOE is complete. The check airman is the PIC since he is the one signing for the aircraft. Only one person can log PIC.

rk772 said:
Tell him to throw a hood on....

Latest resources

Back