• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is CMR transferring flying to ASA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Explain to me how one alpa carrier can underbid and fly another alpa carrier's planes, isn't this one of the things a union is supposed to stop. All you heard asa pilots saying is how comair guys screwed you on their pay freeze, news to asa: comair payrates are still higher than yours and now you are putting it to comair. How can any union justify this? Please tell me.
1st. thats one of the biggest problems with alpa, in my opinion. Hopefully the new alpa pres. will be able to steer this ship in the right direction and each alpa group can pull in the same direction for once in a couple generations.

2nd. you're talking about completely different points in time and very different circumstances. comiar's initial pay freeze for A/c brought our earlier negotiations to a stall on payrates (not that our cnc/mec was in ANY hurry to get anything done, they weren't). Now its coming back to bite them in the butt. Depends on who you ask/believe but, alledgedly ASA offered (maybe off the record) alpa comair +1% or so and the mec/cnc turned thier nose up looking for that "rainmaker" contract. Now thats bitting alpa in the butt.

just my obvservation.

The reason for the Hobbes is because Comair didn't want to invest in ACARS to follow Mx schedules and they surely didn't want to rely on pilot off and on times. The Hobbes was used as a cheap alternative to ACARS and the system was in place well before the new MDC's in the aircraft, so the Hobbes meters were grandfathered in.

Deleted - Hello Newman did something FDJ and the General could not get done, he inspired me to find a way to simply block his stupid posts.

I think the Asparteme from the Diet Colas has resulted in a tumor....

Last edited:
Tell ya what this job is too easy to even be debating the financial thing. Comparing us to doctors and lawyers isn't a good comparison. Both do a lot more work than we do. You have to study hard in school I agree with that. All we do at this point is enjoy the view, program the autopilot and sip diet pepsis all day as we check out chicago from the sky. On average I have days off a month than I work and sometimes drop another day off. I only do 2 day trips or locals out here in chicago and I live close to work. My job is basically like a 9-5 job except I am home a lot more. Some people find a way to get by making only 20 grand a year and they make it work.

Some of you guys are way out in left field and are being overly dramatic about inflation. I am simply trying to point out these are management decisions. It is silly to fight against each other, in fact that is what management wants. No one I know of is on food stamps or needs 5 room mates.

Hey Newwoosy, explain to me how anyone living on the West Coast with a family to support can make only 20 grand a year and "make it work"??? Elementary school teachers get off much more time than we do, are home every night, and average over $68,000 in this area...and their medical, dental, and vision are all paid by the district with only a $10 co-pay until age 65 where medicare takes over(regardless of when they retire). Oh, and the district contributes 8.25% of their gross pay to a real pension plan!!!They currently top out at $79,900 and in addition get up to a $3500 stipend. They just turned down an offer of a 9% increase this year and a 3% over that the following year. Their starting pay is double the 20,000 you rave about and they don't think thats enough!

Last edited:
Hey Newwoosy, explain to me how anyone living on the West Coast with a family to support can make only 20 grand a year and "make it work"??? Elementary school teachers get off much more time than we do, are home every night, and average over $68,000 in this area...and their medical, dental, and vision are all paid by the district with only a $10 co-pay until age 65 where medicare takes over(regardless of when they retire). Oh, and the district contributes 8.25% of their gross pay to a real pension plan!!!They currently top out at $79,900 and in addition get up to a $3500 stipend. They just turned down an offer of a 9% increase this year and a 3% over that the following year. Their starting pay is double the 20,000 you rave about and they don't think thats enough!
sounds like you wish you'd been a teacher.

On a related note, those same teachers are not working for a private organization and they're not restrained by govermental "roadblocks" like most others are. They are sucking up our tax money and doing a horrible job teaching children. But at least they're paid well.

sounds like you wish you'd been a teacher.

On a related note, those same teachers are not working for a private organization and they're not restrained by govermental "roadblocks" like most others are. They are sucking up our tax money and doing a horrible job teaching children. But at least they're paid well.

No, I wish pilots would realize that we are professionals and not keep buying the BS when we're told that we need to keep taking pay and benefit cuts, and or no COLA so the company can grow! Meanwhile the company continues to pull in huge profits every year, including each and every quarter since 9/11!!!
P.S. I knew some knob would make a statement like yours... Is it really to much for us to expect to at least keep up with the cost of living when we work for a company that is making enormous profits(profits that we helped them earn, and were used to purchase another airline, increasing overall earnings even more)????

Last edited:
Everyone is missing the big picture. Why are we competing with each other for flying within a brand. If ALPA was a true union, we wouldn't be competing with one another. However, ALPA isn't a true union, and we are competing with one another. We can point fingers and call each other names all day long, but it won't stop the competition. Only a true national union can do that, and I don't see that happening. Until that happens, we will compete for flying - plain and simple.

JoeMerchant,

Everyone is missing the big picture. Why are we competing with each other for flying within a brand. If ALPA was a true union, we wouldn't be competing with one another. However, ALPA isn't a true union, and we are competing with one another. We can point fingers and call each other names all day long, but it won't stop the competition. Only a true national union can do that, and I don't see that happening. Until that happens, we will compete for flying - plain and simple.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I have asked my self that same question multiple times. ALPA is not a real union.

My wife, a heavy equipment operating engineer, is union. She is currently doing recurrent training with the union. The first day of class, 2 weeks ago, the class was given the example of airline pilot unions and commercial truckers unions of what a union should not be. No kidding! That's pretty darn sad!

For example, if a laborer (lowest on the foodchain, it's the flagger guy that sticks up his flag for you to slow down or stop at road construction projects, gets paid $21.00/hr starting out, 401K, pension plan, vison, dental, medical, no co-payments) union is on strike, my wife’s union will refuse to do the job and forbids a union member to cross somebody else’s picket line. Even though my wife does a totally different job then a laborer and belongs to a totally different union!

In airline terms, if a Flight Attendant union is on strike, Pilots shouldn't not cross the FA's picket line and refuse to fly. That's the way my wife’s union sees it. It has worked out well for her union. I will never ever surpass her in terms of wages flying for CMR, even as a Captain. Being unionized and having this philosophy has made her union members some of the most well paid, professional and safest in the world.

Maybe airline unions shouldn't take the same drastic measurement as my wife's union does, but dang, within the same "brand", we should not compete with one another. If we do, then why the he!! do we pay union fees?

Last edited:

Blah blah blah! Joey's back, yawn.

STRIKE ASA !

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back