• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is CMR transferring flying to ASA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And yet there are SKYW folks on this board crowing about their W2's. They are not flying more hours than us, they just get paid better. How does the market bear that?

Wait a minute aren't you the guys that keep saying we are "whoring" out the industry with substandard wages?

Explain to me how one alpa carrier can underbid and fly another alpa carrier's planes, isn't this one of the things a union is supposed to stop. All you heard asa pilots saying is how comair guys screwed you on their pay freeze, news to asa: comair payrates are still higher than yours and now you are putting it to comair. How can any union justify this? Please tell me.

Explain this to me......

Why do the CMR CR7s have a Hobbs Meter in them????

Why didn't I try to become an air traffic controller? Gov't job, pension, job security, no underbidding.

Explain this to me......

Why do the CMR CR7s have a Hobbs Meter in them????

It's a maintence thing. Hobbs time goes in the logbook after each flight. I don't know what they use it for.

The Captain generally fills out the logbook, but for some reason the Hobbs Meter is on the right side. Apparently the accepted procedure is to put the last two numbers in the FMS scratch pad (ie "1.2" if the Hobbs says 3211.2). I generally put the last three numbers, for no reason in particular. We once discovered a logbook, in which the numbers had been off by a significant amount ("32111.2" instead of "3211.2"), for about a week due to the fact that only the last two numbers had been transfered. I suspect this happens on a fairly routine basis, and would be totally avoidable if the Hobbs was installed on the left side of the aircraft. But I'm no engineer.

Wait a minute aren't you the guys that keep saying we are "whoring" out the industry with substandard wages?

Maybe some do. I think they are misinformed and misdirected by the company and their BS that they have been putting out. I am concerned with the fact that our parent company seems to apply a double standard when considering "being competitive". Unlike Newman, I like having a Union looking out for me (despite its shortcomings) and I think the 2% is a good investment.

Tell ya what this job is too easy to even be debating the financial thing. Comparing us to doctors and lawyers isn't a good comparison. Both do a lot more work than we do. You have to study hard in school I agree with that. All we do at this point is enjoy the view, program the autopilot and sip diet pepsis all day as we check out chicago from the sky. On average I have days off a month than I work and sometimes drop another day off. I only do 2 day trips or locals out here in chicago and I live close to work. My job is basically like a 9-5 job except I am home a lot more. Some people find a way to get by making only 20 grand a year and they make it work.

Some of you guys are way out in left field and are being overly dramatic about inflation. I am simply trying to point out these are management decisions. It is silly to fight against each other, in fact that is what management wants. No one I know of is on food stamps or needs 5 room mates.

Management Sycophant or Servile Pilot???

Last time I checked captains have not taken a paycut at SkyWest. Last time I checked making $70,000+ per year while not the most luxurious lifestyle is definately livable. That example given was simply false. It would take years for inflation to go up that far before you needed food stamps. It was simply another misinformed statement about SkyWest. Perhaps that could happen in 20 years. In 20 years this will be a different industry and we will be making more money. They are having a hard time filling classes at most places. Wages will have to go up eventually as supply falls. Basically the person was trying to make things seem worse than they really are. I suggest he see a financial advisor immediately to see how expenses work.

You have already set your own pay freeze. I am lucky enough to be at CAL now (lucky for the moment anyway) and as of this second year I am back to my 1998 wages, and those were TWA wages. We have captains here and throughout the industry making the same or less than a Captain with us in 1978!!! Thats' 30 friggin years man!! Literally Captains in the late 70's were making around 130K and we are still at that rate today. What is wrong with this picture, especially in light of managerial salaries and bonuses.

We assume a tremendous chunk of responsibility everytime we go to work. The notion that a 70 seat RJ captain is worth 70k when there are sanititation workers in NYC are making the same rate is ridiculous. Note the management for these regional airlines aren't making significantly less than their 1970 era predecessors. They site their education as one of their reasons, I bet you are educated too and spent a lot of time and money on it.

Don't be so binded by your love of the job as to short change yourself. Large numbers of people like you (and we definately have them here at CAL)
undermine us all at the end when it comes time for contracts. There are too many people desperate to attain and then retain this job at any cost. Crud, we are on the verge of extending our stinking contract for 2 more years which has virtually 'Trans States like' work rules. Trans States says it all doesn't it?

I am not one of these union hall fist bangers, but we have to try and re-assert some leverage for those of us who actually make this profession just that, a profession. I proffered in another post how the McPilot training concept is allowing air carriers to bring in people who otherwise would not be doing this job. We need to stand up, require more from ourselves, and expect more.

Not just for us, but also for those who come after us.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back