Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is being a pilot at a regional like being Tom Cruise in Top Gun?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I dont know about flying like in top gun, but I would not mind doing a low approach with Kelly Mcgillis!!! Go Mav!

Axel said:
I flew a King Air for a corporation for $45k/year. Left to fly for a regional. Good move.
sounds like more $ in the king air. Why leave for a regional that is probably 1/2 the pay. Also PIC in the King Air must be better (more valuable flight time) than right seat regional? Curious as to your decision, I may have to make a similar decision one day soon. -Best

jehtplane said:
Good for him. Do you work at a regional? How do you know what it is like? Does he have 401K, Per Diem, premium pay, junior assignment pay, rescheduling pay, union protection, seniority list, pass benefits etc etc.......

I would take the 45K.

401K: Invest

Per Diem: Everyone has Per Diem

junior assignment pay: Means your QOL sucks and your being screwed by scheduling

rescheduling pay: See above

Union Protection: Joke

Seniority List: Long time to upgrade

Pass benefits: buy a ticket for $59

Any other inputs?

Last edited:
Redmeat said:
I would take the 45K.

junior assignment pay: Means your QOL sucks and your being screwed by scheduling

Any other inputs?

really, you can fly to europe first class for 59 bucks, let me know what airline that is!

jehtplane said:
really, you can fly to europe first class for 59 bucks, let me know what airline that is!

Yeah, try pass traveling to Europe and back with your spouse, and see what happens when you get on and she doesn't. Do you leave her in Europe? (maybe)

Redmeat said:
Yeah, try pass traveling to Europe and back with your spouse, and see what happens when you get on and she doesn't. Do you leave her in Europe? (maybe)

I guess your jaded with bad luck.

It's just like top gun. Just the other day, I turned to my F.O. (Maverick) and said "You still have the number for that truck driving school we saw on TV?" He turned back and said "I don't like you cause your dangerous." That's right... I am dangerous.

Redmeat said:
I would take the 45K.

Any other inputs?

1. It makes a difference (which you can admittedly make up for if you're making more money) if you can invest in your 401k in such a way as it reduces your taxable income. Don't know that you can do that on your own.

2. My per diem is better than when I worked at a 135 company.

3. If you're junior anywhere, even at a small 135 company, it's likely you'll be screwed by scheduling. This industry is as much a lifestlye as it is a job, like it or not.

4. See #3.

5. At least I have some kind of protection. How's it work at a charter/135/part 91/etc place when the boss takes a dislike to you due to a personality conflict or just playing favorites? What's your protection there? Company wants me to do something outside the contract, well I have an alternative or at least some recourse.

6. Seniority list: Your quality of life improves as you're at the company longer. You get the chance to upgrade when you're number's up, not when your chief pilot decides based on politics/buddy system/nepotism/etc. Slow upgrade can be anywhere, not just at a regional, just depends on your company's health, attrition and expansion.

7. Pass benefits are great. My family and I can travel very cheaply as long as we're saavy about flying standby. I can jumpseat for free. How many $59 tickets are there? A lot less than you think, and for not a lot of routes, and bought well in advance etc.

Not everything's great, not everything's better, but in my case the positives greatly outweigh the negatives.

Latest resources

Back