Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is being a pilot at a regional like being Tom Cruise in Top Gun?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
illeagle said:
sounds like more $ in the king air. Why leave for a regional that is probably 1/2 the pay. Also PIC in the King Air must be better (more valuable flight time) than right seat regional? Curious as to your decision, I may have to make a similar decision one day soon. -Best

QOL. There are some good corporate jobs; this was not one of them. Time-building was not an issue. The short term pay cut hurt like heck- tightened my belt and plowed on through, happy to have a life again. It was more than a fair exchange. I'm making more now than I ever would have there. I would still like to end up at a major, but considering my age, the state of the industry and the fact that expenses always rise to meet income it will take a miracle or two for that to work out.

Contentment lies in the ability to tailor decisions to the situation and the ability to adapt as those situations change.

Too bad Top Gun edited out the hours of straight and level cruise and rigorous checklist usage. But otherwise, its right on.

JehtPlane,
You gotta be a new regional pilot... Come on, 45k to start on a Corp. Jet. That sooooo much bets flying for a regional airline. I work for a US Airways Express company and non-rev sucks. Ticket are soooo cheap, that my wife and I buy space positive tickets when we travel.
Put your boots, and Ray-Bans up... Regional flying is weak!!!!!! I would jump on a chance for a nice corp. Job!!!!
401k, Preminum Pay, etc. etc!!!! Put the kool Aid down young man... Geeez you gotta be new to this game!!!

WSurf said:
I work for a US Airways Express company and non-rev sucks. Ticket are soooo cheap, that my wife and I buy space positive tickets when we travel.
What the Sam Hell are you talking about??? Just got back from St. Maarten 2 days ago, paid $40 dues to taxes. 115 seats open going down, 165 coming back. US Travel Pass is free!!! There was a time it cost $180/ year. United used to charge a percentage for each leg.You can wear jeans in the back, khakis for first. UAL all non rev'ers had to be dressed business like for coach, a tie for first. You check availabilty and list on the website or by the phone. As far a buying your tickets...sure you do!

jehtplane said:
I guess your jaded with bad luck.
Were you trying to say, "I guess your Jihad was bad luck."?

Axel said:
Contentment lies in the ability to tailor decisions to the situation and the ability to adapt as those situations change.
Very well said. One of the best quotes that I have ever read on here.

UnstableAviator said:
Too bad Top Gun edited out the hours of straight and level cruise and rigorous checklist usage. But otherwise, its right on.

:laugh:

airludy said:
That must be what its like....I mean everyone is willing to work for beans there must be something great about it.

I was in ground school at my most recent airline with a real cool guy that flew charter. Now not just king airs & crap. He flew fast lears and a BBJ out of BUR. Rock stars, actors, all kinds of sh!t. Sounds good huh! All true.

Well I must admit we got into a little argument about whose job sucked more. His charter job or my regional job. He easily won that argument.... & I worked for satan himself over at mesa. But you are so green to aviation you probably have no idea what I am talking about. This post wasnt for you then. Ever try selling cars?

I used to fly corporate before moving onto a small regional. Had a chance to do a 121 charter the other day and it brought back memories of the worst part of corporate flying - waiting around the FBO for the perpetually late passengers.

Can't sit back and relax, can't get a bite to eat, can't watch a movie, can't do anything but sit there and be ready to go at a moments notice. Flying corporate once, I missed lunch and dinner because for six hours the passengers were "just a few minutes away". Didn't want to run out to grab something, didn't want to order something, and the company didn't want to order crew meals all becuase the passengers would be there in a "few minutes" and wanted us ready to go. Two hours of waiting the other day killed any desire to return to that side of aviation because in my experience waiting was the norm, not the exception. In 121, if the passengers are not there on time, tough, they get left behind.

One other benefit to airlines - even the most crappy regionals - not having to clean up someone elses sh!t. Doing lavs was such a nasty job.

Latest resources

Back