Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is being a pilot at a regional like being Tom Cruise in Top Gun?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CapnVegetto said:
You can be the laziest, most pathetic, worthless excuse of a copilot at an airline, but when your number's up.......there you go.
Not necessarily. That person would be lucky to have made it through the hiring process, but if he did, the "system" would catch up to him before to long. I know that some have slipped through the cracks, but I have faith in Karma.

FL000 said:
Not necessarily. That person would be lucky to have made it through the hiring process, but if he did, the "system" would catch up to him before to long. I know that some have slipped through the cracks, but I have faith in Karma.

Then how do you explain all the Riddle FO's? PFT guys?

CapnVegetto said:
Then how do you explain all the Riddle FO's? PFT guys?
I've met many more tools flying corporate than I have met at my airline. Thats not to say that all corporate pilots are tools, but most of the ones I have met don't seem to work so well in a crew environment.

SkyBoy1981 said:
I've met many more tools flying corporate than I have met at my airline. Thats not to say that all corporate pilots are tools, but most of the ones I have met don't seem to work so well in a crew environment.

I've met quite a few douchebags also. The guys I met at the airlines were decent guys, but very incompetent pilots. Of course, this was at the regional level. You and I just might've had a run of bad luck.

It is a blast at first. Then the schedule, pay and no life or control over your life really sucks.

Flying a jet is only fun for a while then it becomes a job. I know it is hard for new pilots to see this but it will happen.

Flying is fun, the airlines turn it into no fun!!!

CapnVegetto said:
1. 6. Seniority list & union. Designed specifically to protect the dumbest most inept motherf-ckers there. You get hired, don't wreck or kill anybody for about 2 to 4 years, you upgrade. You could be the dumbest, stupidest, $hittiest pilot at the company, but your ability has no bearing on it......your number is up, so you upgrade. Meanwhile, every other business in the universe promotes based on ability. ALPA guys love to spout off about the 'chief pilots' buddies' and crap like that, but I don't see a problem anywhere else. Works fine at CitationShares. Works fine where my father has worked for 30 years.

Just my $.02.

6. So every non airline captain should be a captain? And if you really believe that every business promotes based on ability, you really don't know much about the real world!

CapnVegetto said:
I've met quite a few douchebags also. The guys I met at the airlines were decent guys, but very incompetent pilots. Of course, this was at the regional level. You and I just might've had a run of bad luck.

Yep, you are more ignorant than I originally thought!

At my old corp. job we moped floors, cleaned hangers, $hitters, aircraft, painted floors, did plumbing, worked on budget stuff, hired people and fired people. I had recently heard that the guys now have to detail the boots after a 14-16 hr duty day and vacuum out the inside of the aircraft.

Spend all day at places like HYS, SLN, GLD, K71, MCK, GCK, PTS, PTT, and if you’re lucky you can go to ICT and have a computer to log on with or a couch to sleep on.

Have a company paid cell phone so we can call when we want especially after you got in at 2am from flying and they call you at 8am to tell you about a flight in 2 weeks.

I could go on and on but I want to watch football. If you have a good corp. job keep it. But remember this, sometimes a good flight gets departments downsize. This just happened to a friend of mine. He had a decent schedule 4 on 3 off. The on he was away from home and the off he sometimes had to go into the office.

jehtplane said:
6. So every non airline captain should be a captain? And if you really believe that every business promotes based on ability, you really don't know much about the real world!

I've been out in the real world for a while now kid. And nowhere in my entire post did I use the word EVERY. As a matter of fact, I remember using an example of how jackoffs slip through the system EVERYWHERE, not just airlines or corporate.

I guess the ability to read isn't a part of your regional's hiring prerequisites.

Latest resources

Back