Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is a pilot worth anything without a degree?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Looking at the spelling on this thread it appears quite a few should go back and finish high school. College can't hurt but it doesn't really matter much for a pilot. Build the time and figure out how to get some jet time.

pilotyip said:
If you fly because you like to, and would be happy making $100K per year which puts you in the upper 5% of wage earners in the US, probably the top 1% in the world then a college degree is not necessary.

Let's put it this way....without my college degree i would not be making over 200k/yr flying an airbus....it's that simple.....but i could use my degree for other career endevours if i had to or would like to...

So What

Capt Mark I assume you have been at FedEx around 20 years, you were hired at age 25. So you are in your mid 40's say 45 as a guess. I have no idea what your degree is in, but you have not used your college degree in 20 years. There are very few employers out there will find you attractive with or without a degree. Not unless you want to become airline managment. BTW Good for you that are so sure of your place in the food chain, but who are you define if a person making $100K/yr is happy or not.

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
Capt Mark I assume you have been at FedEx around 20 years, you were hired at age 25. So you are in your mid 40's say 45 as a guess. I have no idea what your degree is in, but you have not used your college degree in 20 years. There are very few employers out there will find you attractive with or without a degree. Not unless you want to become airline managment. BTW Good for you that are so sure of your place in the food chain, but who are you define if a person making $100K/yr is happy or not.

u assumed wrong...i am 36....been at fdx over 11 years...never said you were not happy..but you would be happier if they paid u more...

Last edited:
sluminginpit said:
G200 just curious what you would do if you lost your flying job? What is your degree in? Do you think you would be able to find a job easily becasue of your degree?

He has a degree from Riddle in Aeronautical Science. Don't let him fool you into thinking he has options outside of aviation. Without a medical, him and his useless degree would be mixing paint at the local Home Depot. "Can I get that in a semi-gloss, flyboy?"

Last edited:
fromunda, stop dealing in reality this is a pilot board. BTW Capt Mark there a lot of places overseas where I could make a lot more money, compared to that I am very happy right here if you don't mind.

pilotyip said:
fromunda, stop dealing in reality this is a pilot board. BTW Capt Mark there a lot of places overseas where I could make a lot more money, compared to that I am very happy right here if you don't mind.

i don't mind...congrats on your happiness...and fromunda...my bud has an air science degree from humpty-diddle and he is an investment banker on wall street making 7 figures...he was the smart one...

Good for you making 200k a year, if that makes you happy thats all that matters. Still is not the key to happiness.

G200 now that I know your from Riddle explains your arrogance.

For all those who think you need a degree for money/happiness, I close on one of my project houses on Monday, my profit will be $41,500, owned it for 7 months. That makes me happy!!!!!!!!!!!! And all without a degree, criminal!

Lets do the math, 90k salary, 41k real estate = 131k w/o degree this year in income! How much do I really need, since this won't include wifes income (48k) total of 179k per year, almost enough to pay for Riddle. How much did you make this year G200? Not so dumb looking to you now huh!

People take different paths in life, none are right none are wrong, people have reasons for their choices.

PS G200 Think I could get one of those Cobalts, Id have to trade my Master Craft though.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back