Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is a pilot worth anything without a degree?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
capt M and 1013, I know too many non-degreed pilots making the $100K number, some in their 20's. They appear happy, if they are happy, then others may find happiness following the same path to such places as AirTran, JetBlue and SWA. Airlines that do not let the degree stand in the way of hiring the right pilot. Go to school if you want, but do not judge someone who elects to pursue a different path.

CaptainMark said:
i would say most pilots out there are not even making 100k a year....i hope it changes because that is a disgrace to the profession...my lawnboy makes 100k cutting yards...
He's in the SOD business? Damb, who would have knowed SOD would have turned out to be the career of the future?

Is there an ab initio training program for that type of thing?

1013dot25hPa said:
I just realize that I'm a total looser reading those 8 pages at this time of night, discussing absolutely nothing. And now I even feel compelled to give my 2 cents worth in this thread. Sad indeed.:bawling: Just can't help my self.

you know you had fun reading 8 pages of this crap...don't lie..and on top of all that u write the longest entry and the one that summed it all up...nice job!

...Okay, I'll admit it, I did have fun! :laugh:

PilotYip, you are still not getting it. Nobody is saying that you can not be happy without a college degree or that you can not make $100K+ as a pilot in your 20's without that degree.

All we are saying is give peace a chance ;). But seriously, all we are saying is that some doors will be closed to a person without that stupid degree. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less.

Do whatever, but it is not stupid.

If person wants a degree they should by all means get a degree. If a person does not want a degree, then they should also be supported in their decision to go about a different career pursuit. However it seems on this board the only path one can pursue without being told how stupid they are, is the college only route. To get a degree run up big debt and only do it to check a box on 1 out of 100 applications seems counter productive to me. But then I am old fashioned and do not care if anyone has a degree or not.

Last edited:
Give Peace a Chance?

BTW 1013 Prime Minister Chamberlain gave peace a chance and killed 50M people

Ready2Fly said:
If you get a job at a regional with a flowthru, you don't need a degree to get on with a major.

Ready2Fly is TheGuat, Rhoid, IHaveAPension, LucyFurr, E170GuppyKiller, TheGuppyKiller, GuppyKiller, The MissingLink, ABXpert, UPSer, RJDC, OUT, 410Dude, BR549, FreightNazi....etc...etc...

Latest resources

Back