Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is a pilot worth anything without a degree?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bubbers44 said:
I just retired from a major without a college degree and so did half of my friends. So making over 200K per year does not require a college degree. And getting over a million lump sum did not require a college degree for me and half my friends. Those who insist it does are not dealing with reality.

yeah...you would not even be able to apply anywhere but jetusa nowadays...and a million lumpsum....big deal...i almost have that now and i have 23 years to go....enjoy that retirement..are u going back to college?

Tution Reimbursement anyone

USA Jet has an employee tution reimbursement progrm, many of our pilots use it for both the BA/BS and Masters. It goes along with proving the CASS program for our pilots, it one of things you do to make it the best place possible to work in its segment of the industry. BTW bubbers ignore G200 and Capt Mark they are both kids in their thirties and have a ways to go to have any hindsite. BTW (2) G-200 how is the CASS program woking at your place.

Last edited:
Let me give you the background on the college degree thing. I do not judge a man by his degree, where he lives, or what he does for a living. I judge a man on the content of his character. I find the college degrees only crowd here, a bit arrogant, a smacking of if you do not have a degree you are not as good as me. I know too many people who are successful and fine men who do not have a degrees, I know many people with degrees who will never make any impact upon anything. I know too many pilots without degrees who I consider some of the most successful people I know I admire them and the lives they have built. So I bait, about the non-importance of the college degree in this business. I think this sets off the college degree only crowd because it distorts their view of what they have done. Secondarily my pilot heroes did not have college degrees and they performed feats that would test the metal of anyone. They flew in WWII, George Bush I in the Pacific, the 10,000’s of B-17 and B-24 pilots in Europe, and the C-46 pilots over the hump in China. I meet these guys on the air show circuit, they come to see the C-47 and B-17, and I ask them about their adventures during the war. I am in awe of what they did. How can anyone say these guys without degrees were not as good as today’s degreed pilots?

Well I guess one thing for sure is that a degree does not teach class! G200 and CaptMark, you guys are such studs! You get on these boards and spout off your opinions so matter of factly! People have reasons for not going to college, maybe money, kids or others.

CapMark, why did you ignore my comment? Hired a FedEx at 25 with no Military, come on like you did'nt know someone, maybe Daddy?

You guys both should be proud of your positions in life, very impressive, but come on guys why the need to make others feel like crap? Your wife looking for something you don't have? Maybe you think you can find it here!

For me I have no degree and love my life! I will never be CaptMark at Fed Ex but so what, not my type of flying. I don't even like this career, its full of hassel, disapointment, backstabbing and greed to name a few.

To each his own!

BTW, CaptMark how have you been at Fed Ex for 11 yrs and only have 8000 hours? Wait, Must have been the degree!

Last edited:
sluminginpit said:
BTW, CaptMark how have you been at Fed Ex for 11 yrs and only have 8000 hours? Wait, Must have been the degree!

well fyi..fedex pilots only average about 250 to 350 hours a year...does that explain it...and a degree was a requirement to get hired..so back to the original question...get your degree if u have the means and good luck!...and i am so happy..living the dream...just responding to comments..no big deal...i hope u guys are all happy doing what u r doing...if you feel bad..sorry....u should have gotten that degree...and class...u r right..don't have any..just a dirtbag trash hauler who was ridiculed for wanting to work at fedex some years ago....enjoy the rest of your weekend...it is a beautiful night in socal on my 3 day layover..time for a cigar...

Last edited:
bubbers44 said:
I just retired from a major without a college degree and so did half of my friends. So making over 200K per year does not require a college degree. And getting over a million lump sum did not require a college degree for me and half my friends. Those who insist it does are not dealing with reality.
I hear what you're saying bubbers, but on the same token...if I was to grab a just ready to retire mainline guy and asked them about the job market and how to apply, they wouldn't have a clue.

It doesn't mean they are dumb, it just means they are far removed from the reality that most of us upward looking technicians face today. It's the same with any career. Ask any Police or Fire department employee that possesses the rank of Sgt or above how to get a job in their field and they'll have to get a google to answer your question.

A-300 CAP 293:34
F/O 3797:48

there is 10 and 1/2 years on the bus...i year on the panel of the 72

do some research..we get paid credit hours..not block..we get paid around 1000 hours a year credit and only block around 250-350...great work rules...

sluminginpit said:
How do you only fly 250-330 hrs per year and make 200k? At 11 yrs your pay is $198 per hour, must be nice per diem.
He requested that he be paid in dimes?

No reason to research, don't care, can't get hired there without the degree! Not that I would want to.

Still no answer on how you got hired at 25, with no military?

Latest resources

Back