F-14B/D:

Stick -- Full aft, neutral lateral, harness locked
Both Throttles -- Idle
Rudder -- Opposite turn needle / yaw / spin arrow
If recvoery indicated:
Recover at 17 units AOA, thrust as required
If spinning below 10,000 ft AGL:
Eject -- RIO command eject

In the sim, you have to maintain pro-spin inputs to get inverted. I've tried rudder triplets with full aft stick in the sim and for some reason it goes inverted -- still can't figure that one out. As soon as you start programming the stick aft the jet goes upright and you're back to upright spin procedures. It doesn't always work that way in the actual aircraft:

http://www.history.navy.mil/nan/gramps/Gramps%201990s/1997/nd97/gramps.pdf

Afterwards, you clean your shorts and buy a fifth of scotch for the crew of the helo that picked you out of the water.

CobraKai said:
If I left anything out say something it has been 5 years since I have had to do this.

It's scary how much of the mighty Tweet is still permanently etched in our brains...
The old T-37 Spin boldface was actually 43 words--

Throttles--Idle
Rudder and Ailerons--Neutral
Stick--Abruptly full aft and hold
Rudder--Abruptly apply full Rudder opposite spin direction (opposite turn needle) and hold
Stick--Abruptly full forward one turn after applying rudder
Controls--Neutral after spinning stops and recover from dive

Idle--Reduce Gyroscopic effect of engines
Neutral rudder and ailerons--A starting point for inadvertant spin entries--Neutral rudder is also giving you some dpin desceleration--(Nowhere is it required to neutralize the elevator at this time)
Stick--Abruptly aft--Will initially descelerate an erect spin (***Will also take an inverted spin and turn it into an erect stall--This is where you stop the spin boldface and recover from the stall)
Rudder--After you apply full rudder, some spins actually stop before you get the 1 full turn--Neutralize the controls and recover--(Note** This is where as an IP you'd better be strapped in really tight because if the left seat pilot pushes full forward, you'll be smacking your head against the canopy)
Stick--Abrubtly full forward--Driving airplane into the spin recovery cone--If you do it fast enough, the spin gets really fast, then stops--If you drive too far past the recovery cone, you'll probably smack your helmet off of the canopy and may enter an inverted spin--If you're too casual/slow about it, the spin will accelerate, but actually the nose will not enter the spin recovery cone (check your altimeter and do the recovery again)
Power--As soon as you start to recover from the dive, start adding power to minimize altitude loss (and save energy)

YIKES!!!! I've got to stop now--I'm not a T-37 IP anymore, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back