Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dueguard1

ROTT MAN 4 LIFE!!!
Can any military pilots chime in on this ..................had a student ask me what would be the recovery technique for an inverted spin?

In the Tweet, we used to just let go, it would revert to a "normal" spin and then you could recover. In the Phantom you just punched

dueguard1 said:
Can any military pilots chime in on this ..................had a student ask me what would be the recovery technique for an inverted spin?

In your average straight-wing airplane, stick forward, opposite rudder.
If you are not sure of which rudder to use, press on a pedal and if nothing happens, try the other one.

It takes some work to get into an inverted spin. Many times the control imputs of the pilot are what holds it there. Depending on the configuration of the tail, the rudder can be useless in the inverted position. One of the key factors is to get air over the rudder. Any power could cause the aircraft to stay "flat" reducing the relative wind over the tail. So the first thing is to reduce the power to idle, next the recovery described above works pretty well.

Idle - Neutral - Aft - spinning left - needle left - right full rudder -stick steadily foward until spinning stops - recover from the dive

The idle is for power, Neutralize the rudders to get rid of the yaw input that put you into the spin. Move the stick aft, this is supposed to get you out of the inverted part of the spin. Check the spin direction, in this example a left spin, visually and with the turn needle (if you have one). Full oposite rudder. Stick foward to break the stall. Recover from the dive. Just remember to let out the rudder input when the spin stops or you can get two for the price of one.

letting go of the controls should also work in making the spin come back to right side up.

If I left anything out say something it has been 5 years since I have had to do this.

CobraKai said:
Idle - Neutral - Aft - spinning left - needle left - right full rudder -stick steadily foward until spinning stops - recover from the dive

If that doesn't work, try:

handgrips-raise/trigger-sqeeze/canopy/visor/mask/seat kit/LPU (if applicable)/4-line modification/steer into the wind/feet-knees-face :D

CobraKai said:

The idle is for power, Neutralize the rudders to get rid of the yaw input that put you into the spin. Move the stick aft, this is supposed to get you out of the inverted part of the spin. Check the spin direction, in this example a left spin, visually and with the turn needle (if you have one). Full oposite rudder. Stick foward to break the stall. Recover from the dive. Just remember to let out the rudder input when the spin stops or you can get two for the price of one.

letting go of the controls should also work in making the spin come back to right side up.

If I left anything out say something it has been 5 years since I have had to do this.

It's been longer for than that for me but I would add: first NEUTRALIZE - ANALYZE. Neutralize flight controls, reduce power to idle then analyze the situation to ensure that you are not in post stall gyrations before you start putting in pro-spin inputs. Cross checking the turn needle is imperative, it should be pegged if you are in a spin. Best of luck!

Recovery from a fully developed inverted spin in the T-34C:
full opposite rudder
stick neutral

Latest resources

Back