Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tug Driver

I can't keep a girlfriend
Are all controllers required to know english? What kind of training does a United pilot get before flying a trip to Japan or China?

Just wondering

nik

Are all controllers required to know english?
Yes, ICAO requires it. Maybe they could require speaking without an accent too. :) Sometimes they are very difficult to understand.

Tug Driver said:
Are all controllers required to know english?

Yes. English is the official language of international aviation, per the ICAO treaty. Sometimes or most times, accents can be a problem but it you pay attention, listen carefully and don't use slang, it works.

What kind of training does a United pilot get before flying a trip to Japan or China?

Just wondering

nik

I don't work for UAL so I can't answer that specifically. They will have some type of training but I don't know just what it is at United.

IMHO, the female Taiwanese controllers are the hardest to understand.

Know kidding! I was doing a hono to hong kong last month and I think I had to ask her to " say again" six times just to figure out she was telling us to procced via our fight plan route. The russians can be tough to understand also. " I SAID 600 METERS!!!!!!!!!!!!":eek:
PurpleTail said:
IMHO, the female Taiwanese controllers are the hardest to understand.

I have heard local languages spoken to local aircraft in China and Russia.

Their english is actually not bad (chinese and russian).

Absolute worst in my book?

female japanese controllers...they are by far the WORST on the planet!

When you're cruising down Japan, and a female controller tells you to get ready to copy down a re-route...guys, just do yourself a favor and leave the cockpit..Let someone else handle that pain. LOL.

Some one told me a story a while back of an NWA B747 trying to pick up a clearance at NRT and a female controller just reads it out at Mach 2. The NWA pilot came back and say something to the effect..."ok,we know how fast you can say it, now let's hear how slow you can do it"

Trijet

Last edited:
The Saudi's are the worst. Reroute, fugedaboutit.

The tokyo girls like to give a re route to kix from the nopac when there landing 06. If you don't already know it it can take several tries to get it right. I got in the habit of marking it on the area chart for the next crew so they would not have to struggle if it was there first time to kix.

One thing to add, yes, the ICAO international language is English, but many countries like Russia,China,India,etc.... only are required to speak English or have an english speaking Person during the day, at night that rule does not apply, especially during the late hours, most charts, notams etc. will display the hours that English will be available

Something to keep in mind

Latest resources

Back