• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Interviewing with a beard (CFI)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've had a goat at a flight school. Ironically, after I got hired a few more guys grew goatees b/c they thought they were banned.

On the other hand, I wasn't too hard up for a job at that point. When I started applying for 135/121 gigs, I shaved it off...

You can probably get away with it at a flight school. However, don't.

Foreign pilots often have beards. It's not at all uncommon for pilots in european and middle eastern countries to sport facial hair. However, in the US, it's not.

You're probably new, starting out, and young. All sporting a goatee does for you is make you look immature. There are a lot of ways to do yourself a disservice in your demeanor as an instructor; you've probably already been given examples during your reading and training of things that can work against you, such as wearing cowboy boots, profanity with a student, etc. Wearing a goatee does something similiar.

When I see an instructor with a goatee, right or wrong, I think "punk." Merely because you can get away with something doesn't mean you should. A cleancut look, or at least a very conservative one (moustache, okay; beard, not okay) will serve you well, and conveys a message that you're serious about your job. Beards, long hair, short pants with white shirts and epaulets portray a message about you that says "could be doing this, or working at burger king...don't care."

Likewise, the use of language such as "dude" in your conversation reduces who you're perceived to be. Looking, acting, talking like a fourteen year old creates an image that's hard to shake, and does you no favors at all.

I worked for a company that hired some foreign pilots. Among them was a gentleman from Europe who really wanted the job, but absolutely refused to shave his beard. He was told to shave it in the interview, and he refused. He didn't get the job. I put him up at my place while he was in town interviewing, and listened to his tirade...do they want a pilot or a fashion model? They wanted a pilot, but they also wanted someone who looked like a pilot and acted like a pilot.

If I walk into a flight school, I'm looking for someone to assist me who doesn't look like a kid. Someone who doesn't act like a kid. I don't care if they can remember Reagan, but I don't want to see earrings, goatees, or hear "dude." I want someone who acts like an adult. If you want my business as an instructor or a flight school owner, you'll take note of that. A savvy flight school owner does, too...and that's who will be doing your interviewing, and that's for whom you'll be working. That guy, of course, and the student...someone like me.

Lose the beard.

To he$$ with these guys..........keep the beard! Flight schools now, need you way more than you need them these days. Now just don't go whizzin on the chief pilots forehead in the interview and you should be aaaaight! Good Luck.

To he$$ with these guys..........keep the beard! Flight schools now, need you way more than you need them these days. Now just don't go whizzin on the chief pilots forehead in the interview and you should be aaaaight! Good Luck.

Truly professional sounding advice that fits the image of a teenager with a goatee, earring, and a penchant for saying "dude" too much.

When it comes to the answer to this question you have to know a little about where you are interviewing. If it is PanAm, DCA, Westwind, American Flyers type place I would say you have to shave it. If it is the local FBO that teaches people flying for pleasure I would say its not a big deal.

When it comes to part 61 ma and pa flight schools it takes all kinds of people to teach all kinds of people. Not everyone is in this to become a airline pilot ya know.

You have to "Get in where you fit in." If they don't hire you because of the goat then you probably wouldn't be a good match for that company. I honestly believe that you don't find your path in this career, it finds you.

AvBug makes some good points, but he is one type of customer that that you might be selling to. There are all types of consumers out there when it comes to people getting their private license.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back