Interview lunch went well I think

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Throttlebender said:
**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** Gear Guy! You make me feel really lazy!!! That's fast man.
Don't sweat it man. I was just in the right place at the right time. It's surely not because I'm some super-pilot or anything. I feel blessed to have gotten the experience I have in a short time. I could not have done it without the help of my fellow aviators. Corporate is all who you know, and when you know them. It will happen....just keep plugging along and the right job will open up. BTW, I don't care what job you get, we'll still complain. Can I get an Amen?

Guys,

Don't worry about insurance or time. Everyone hears the stories of low time pilots getting hired. It happens. It happened to me. I was hired as a C560 Fo with 979 hours. I flew my azz off and upgraded 10 months later. six months after that I was typed in the X at 1800 hours. At 4300 hours I got hired by a major and I'm now back in the right seat only this time it's an A320.
This is not one of those stories that happened 30 years ago. I started flying professionally 5 years ago.
Insurance companies have waivers and allow competent operators to make that call.
Good Luck and don't worry about the GIV ride, they are just looking for basic skills.

Throttle,

Just to satisfy my curiosity, was this GIV operator based at an airport in central ohio?

low time

This is not corporate, but I am an F/O on a 727 flying night cargo, hired at 550 hrs, upgrading this summer with ATP mins and 1000 hrs in the right seat, never had a problem with low time, all about who you know and how u fit in. Got a job offer for pt 91 Hawker 800XP F/O, turned it down due to low pay. I agree with the others, I am living proof that you can be hired with no time. Good Luck! If you want it bad enough you can have it!

Right Place Right time

ThrottleBender,

Good for you! Luck was on your side!

Enjoy the G IV and try not to be too behind.... :)

Throttlebender,
Good luck with your job prospect! Like you mentioned before, alot of finding a good 91 corporate job is networking and being there at the right time and place.
With 3000 hrs, ATP and some jet time you should have no problems.

I recently had a part 135 checkride in a Challenger 604 at F.S. For the ride, I was paired with a young 650 hr F.S. intern as my copilot. I was a little concerned when I was informed of this fact. I was actually surprised when the guy did an excellent job for me. The guy knew the a/c systems, checklists, SOPs, and callouts. I made it a point to tell him what a great job he did and wish him a good career in the future.

(THIS IS THE PART WHERE I'LL CATCH HECK)
Now that being said, there is no way a 1000 hr pilot should be in the right seat of a professionally flown GV corporate jet in my opinion! Most large F-500 departments will hire only co-captians for an a/c. If a 91/135 company is hiring such a lowtime pilot for such a position......they are more concerned about saving money then passenger safety in my opinion.
I previously mentioned that my F.S. intern copilot did a great job in the 604 sim. But there is no way I would put my family on an a/c with him as a crew. (This is a litmus test for me.) When it comes down to it, there is not the level of experience and decision making skills to be considered a profesional flight crew. What if the PIC was incapicitated, there was an emergency, and the weather was down.

OK, let me have it! Am I right or wrong?
SCT

PS- Don't compare military pilots to what we are doing. It's apples and oranges.

SCT,

I do agree. There is a big difference between the simulated world of the box and the real thing. There is no replacement for the real world experience. But, if it was you that had that lucky break in the early stages of your career you wouldn't think twice of it. As I am one who paid my dues in this profession I have no objection for others who did skip along. As long they are not cocky about it. Yes, I would think twice about an low time co-pilot in a G-IV but wouldn't blame him for obtaining his position. Think about.... Who does the hiring in a flight department?

Only my 2 cents.....

:)

In general I would agree. There is NO substitute for experience. However, there are those people out there that have a "cool head". You know, those that you can just tell stay calm dury crisis. That's who I want as a second crew member. It doesn't matter if they have 500 or 5000 hrs. It's if you know they can take care of business when necessary. Now, the trick is to be able to regonize them when they come along. I've run across some real bone heads and also across some really impressive people. Have a base line but also be smart enough to see talent and maturity.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back