Interesting passengers...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skydiverdriver

I was sitting on a taxiway because of an ATC ground hold recently, and a frequent flyer in the back called our parent company, in a state far, far away, and asked them about the delay. The frequent flyer department told him that we couldn't possibly be delayed, as they had no notice of any delays. So, I wonder what the passenger thought then? Did he think we were lying? I guess we just wanted to sit there and delay all of those people and miss my only meal break for the day just because? Perhaps the passenger thought he could have some influence on the government employee that stopped us, by calling the airline he was flying on? Did he think we could now go, because our company said there was no delay?

I understand when you are sitting in the back of a plane and want to get to the destination, that you think there is something you can do. I suppose if it was the airline's fault that we were delayed, a call might help, but what would cause that? And why would we tell them it was an ATC delay if that were not the case? I think people expect everyone else to be disingenuous with them, and nobody takes anyone's word anymore. I'm not sure why this is, but it makes me wish I still flew cargo.

I also think that giving passengers alcohol without any food to go with it is a recipe for increasing problems. And they are worried about US drinking!!

skydiverdriver said:

I think people expect everyone else to be disingenuous with them, and nobody takes anyone's word anymore. I'm not sure why this is, but it makes me wish I still flew cargo.

Skydiverdriver,

Actually, what people expect is that other people are just like them. They break their word regularly, so they expect you to break yours; they lie, so they expect others to lie to them; they steal, so they expect others to steal from them; they cheat, so they expect to be cheated; they have no integrity, so they expect others to be equally lacking; they have no morals, so they expect others to be immoral; they can be bought for a few pieces of silver, so they expect others to be for sale; they'll take your seniority if given the chance, so they suspect you of trying to take theirs, etc., etc.

Sorry, I'm a cynic who sees things as they are, rather than as they ought to be. He who is himself a dog sees you as just another dog. Thus the expression "dog-eat-dog".

Regards,

Yes, I agree that people do expect others to act the way they do. I guess I just don't understand why they think we would lie to them about a delay. What would we have to gain from that? Do they actually think the controllers would allow us to sit on a taxiway for an hour for no reason? I just don't understand how people think, I guess. Thanks for the effort.

The problem is that people (in general) don't think, and when they do think they often don't think it though.

Surplus

"Actually, what people expect is that other people are just like them. They break their word regularly, so they expect you to break yours; they lie, so they expect others to lie to them; they steal, so they expect others to steal from them; they cheat, so they expect to be cheated; they have no integrity, so they expect others to be equally lacking; they have no morals, so they expect others to be immoral; they can be bought for a few pieces of silver, so they expect others to be for sale; they'll take your seniority if given the chance, so they suspect you of trying to take theirs, etc., etc. "

You are one of the most versed individuals that I know of. Not only are you an expert on contracts and unions, but you also know quite abit about the Clinton administration. Keep up the good work! (P.S. Just a little humor! I do enjoy your posts).
;)

I always get a laugh when we have a delay on the taxiway and I hear about passengers whining that the weather at our destination is fine. Afterall, they did just talk to their wife before we left the gate and she said the weather at destination X was just fine!
It doesn't matter if there is a Force 5 hurricane enroute, the weather at the destination is fine, so lets just go! And that wife looking out the window (who surely knows all about IFR mins, max crosswinds, etc ) is as good a weather forecaster as the NWS.

skydiverdriver said:
...a frequent flyer in the back called our parent company, in a state far, far away, and asked them about the delay.

What was he doing on a cell phone after you blocked out, anyway?

If you're going to ground hold for some length of time, I suspect the CA will let the PAX use their cell phones to notify people at the destination, and appease them so they can talk to their "honeys." That happened to me when a DAL Express 737 blew a main on landing at MCO. Not much navigating to mess with on the ground, eh?

What gets me is that you try to relax the rules a bit to "ease the pain" and you get stabbed in the back for doing so. Kinda makes you bitter next time the same situation presents itself. If only there was a "cockpit channel" like on UAL where pax can listen in on ATC chatter and, given a little intelligence on their part, they just might see the big picture and realize the flight crew is just as stuck as they are!

The drinking thing's got me, too. After doing my share of non-revving and getting to sit up in the comfy seats once in a while, you see certain types of pax that just swill the liquor and start to get obnoxious at the littlest inconveniences. I wonder just how diminished their survival skills would be in case of an emergency. Things that make you go "Hmmmm!" (never really was an Arsenio fan, though)

Last edited:
Hovernut said:
If you're going to ground hold for some length of time, I suspect the CA will let the PAX use their cell phones to notify people at the destination, and appease them so they can talk to their "honeys."
Actually, I've done that on several occasions. Laptop computers, too. Why piss the people off any more than you have to, right? Let 'em play a few rounds of Microsoft Solitaire.

The drinking thing's got me, too.
I have never understood the logic of locking people inside an aluminum pipe, telling them they're going to be two hours late getting wherever...and then passing out free booze! That's a recipe for "air-rage," isn't it?

(Although, I think making people strip down to their boxers, unpack and repack all their bags, and drink their own breast milk is a recipe for air-rage, too.)

Re: Surplus

Tim47SIP said:

You are one of the most versed individuals that I know of. Not only are you an expert on contracts and unions, but you also know quite abit about the Clinton administration. Keep up the good work! (P.S. Just a little humor! I do enjoy your posts).
;)

Tim,

Hmmmm. I get your pun and take it with a smile and grain of salt?

On the labor end I'm not really an "expert" but I have spent more than 30 years dealing with IFALPA and USALPA and airline related labor issues. That includes at least 15 yrs as a negotiator. Even though I'm somewhat "slow", with that much time on the line you learn quite a few things by osmosis.

Although not a registered Democrat (independent) I voted for Clinton both times and think he did a pretty good job as President. While I think his sexual adventures were unwise, when I was a boy my father taught me that men don't "kiss and tell" so I really don't blame Clinton for not taking the Jerry Springer route to satisfy the prurient interests of the media or the Republicans (themselves the greatest hypocrites known to man).

Interestingly, American Presidents have a history of extra-marital affairs and assorted budoir exploits both in and out of the White House, among them Jefferson, Roosevelt, Eisenhower, Kennedy, to name just a few. Strangely, none "enjoyed" the publicity or criticism so generously afforded to Clinton's acceptance of fringe benefits offered by the "ladies" of his acquaintance.

No doubt I'll be flamed for saying that, but that's OK. Here's some more fuel for the fire. I didn't vote for the current occupant of the White House and regret his appointment to the Presidency by the courts. While no lover of Mr. Gore, I see the Bush "victory" as little more than a well engineered bloodless coup.

I see GWB as a relatively harmless buffoon himself, and his associates (with one exception) as down right dangerous. He was not elected by a majority of the American people and, being a Floridian, I know he was also not elected by a majority of the people of Florida. Unless I'm mistaken, he is the first President in our history "elected" by one vote cast by the minority party. I accept him, because I must accept the decision of the court and nothing more.

There's a lot about labor unions that I don't like, but there's a lot more that I dislike about Republicans and their corporate alliances. Their alleged morality may be sexually pure, but is rife with far worse.

See how weird I am? Do you know any other airline pilots that don't vote Republican?

Surplus1

PS. I enjoy you posts as well and welcome your comments and your critique.

Fly Safe.

Latest resources

Back