• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Interesting day

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wouldn't want to be 5 ft from a huge spinning salad-shooter blade when that blade could descend/decelerate into my path, and I would have to rely on the untrained stunt-driver of an 80mph vehicle to keep me out of its path.
He can land gear up, it will give the local mechanic some work.

semperfido said:
.....i would say kudos for thinking outside the box :)

I would say the same. Easy to second guess those involved and place blame upon them, state risk factors were increased, etc, but without being there it shouldn't hold much weight. Some of these responses are comparable to listening to Cnn's Miles O'brien chime in on aircraft accidents/incidents.

The airport will now investigate to see if the impromptu in-flight inspection broke any major rules."Investigating the incident and determining if any action needs to be taken," said Lewis.When the airport is done with their investigation, they will forward their report to the Federal Aviation Authority.

There ain't no rules in an emergency. The more I hear about Epic, the more I like it, too bad it's in Florida, and ain't no way I'm gonna smelt down there for months on end :D

Last edited:
Some Cardinal owners carry a retractable boat hook for this situation. Thats a long shot, but the risk is acceptable in my mind.

But I think using the jeep and risking all those people is just plain careless and reckless operation, pure and simple.

There isn't any excuse for that kind of thing.

Last edited:
"be careful what you say about people you don't know, T-Gates. you weren't there, you have no idea what was going through everyone's head. and thankfully they didn't have you to depend on when trying to get this situation fixed."

"Easy to second guess those involved and place blame upon them, state risk factors were increased, etc, but without being there it shouldn't hold much weight. Some of these responses are comparable to listening to Cnn's Miles O'brien chime in on aircraft accidents/incidents."

If memory serves there was a very long thread on this type of incident a while back but I can't seem to find it.

I'll throw my vote in for this being a pretty dumb idea. What would everyone here be saying if the pilot had misjudged his altitude and pancaked in on top of the Jeep? What would we say if the pilot or Jeep driver misjudged their speed and turned the people in the Jeep into a tossed salad? Idiots.

I don't think anyone would need to "be there" to come to the conclusion that landing an airplane with a bum gear leg on the runway under control is a lot less risky than what these guys did. I'm sure an insurance company would much rather pay out for the damage of a (partial) gear up landing than deal with lawsuits from either the families of the "victims" (I'd use that term loosely in this situation) or the survivors. Yeah, they managed to pull it off this time, but this was still a stupid, stupid thing to do.

"Shamrock" O'Brien

did you guys not see in the video that one of the wheels was down but the other wasn't completely in place? how about landing on one wheel that's locked and spiraling once the opposite wing hit the ground? that could have resulted in death too, just not in the same "tossed salad" way. i don't claim to know what happened b/c i wasn't there, but nothing happened and 2 souls returned safely to earth. i'd say that was pretty good.

It would have resulted in maybe 2 deaths, instead of 2 plus however many were in the Jeep. I'd hazard to say that if the plane was kept under control for as long as possible through the flare and touchdown death would be extremely unlikely.

2 wheel landings have been done before.

737 gear up landing.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back