• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Interesting Colgan transcript tidbits

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can't believe i am reading this CRAP... Every one of you have your heads up your ass. What ever happened to we are all in this together? Every one of you have the single letter "I" in the spelling of "team". The airline industry use to be all about being there when one of the brothers goes down, Now its all about how quickly we can criticize and ******************** all over the crew. We, let me spell this again WE all take the same risk's every time WE get into the aircraft. It's good to know that if i screw up my name is going to be dragged through the trenches like you all are dragging this crew.
I only hope this does not ever happen to any of you. Is this what the aviation community is coming to? If it is i want to get the hell out now........

WTF are you talking about? If you hand me an aircraft with a jacked up logbook I'll chase you down the concourse to give you the opportunity to fix it. Misread your schedule and come out to the aircraft late I'll cover for you. If you have a contract question I'll spend hours looking for the answer for you. I'll pass along accurate pireps to make your day safer and easier. I'll smile at you in the terminal. I'll go to outlandish lengths to get a jumspeater on. That's teamwork.

Kill 50 people by personally defining all that is wrong with this industry? Make a mockery of my profession? Make me and my colleagues look like fools? I'll hang you out to dry. Plan on it.

I can't believe i am reading this CRAP... Every one of you have your heads up your ass. What ever happened to we are all in this together? Every one of you have the single letter "I" in the spelling of "team". The airline industry use to be all about being there when one of the brothers goes down, Now its all about how quickly we can criticize and ******************** all over the crew. We, let me spell this again WE all take the same risk's every time WE get into the aircraft. It's good to know that if i screw up my name is going to be dragged through the trenches like you all are dragging this crew.
I only hope this does not ever happen to any of you. Is this what the aviation community is coming to? If it is i want to get the hell out now........

Would you feel comfortable with your family flying with this crew?

Listen man. These "fellow" pilots didn't have an altitude or heading deviation, they KILLED lots and lots and lots of men woman and children. This was PREVENTABLE at every basic level. Stop shifting blame everywhere else. It's okay to say that the pilots should not have been allowed in that cockpit. The focus must be on preventing low time, inexperienced pilots in the flight deck. Not to mention, stop the BS chatting while flying an ILS at night, in the winter, with moderate icing conditions.

Not to mention, stop the BS chatting while flying an ILS at night, in the winter, with moderate icing conditions.

I disagree with this statement... after having reread the CVR multiple times, they put their game faces on as they began the approach phase. Notice on the There was a bit of chatter prior, but it was almost all about the icing conditions they were experiencing.

The question now is, can Colgan survive this? CAL could just pull the plug and who's going to want to codeshare with Colgan?

Last edited:
The question is now is can Colgan survive this? CAL could just pull the plug and who's going to want to codeshare with Colgan?
Great question. I believe Colgan will survive this disaster. Although it will be rough for a while. The fallout from the Comair Lexington crash lasted a long time. Comair is still around for the time being.
Colgan might be able to weather the storm. We'll see.

Since Colgan is now owned by Pinnacle it wouldn't surprise me if they fully absorb the brand name as a P.R. ploy. No more Colgan, only Pinnacle. No change in flying.

Just a thought though. Something akin to the ValuJet / Airtran deal.

Last September at my Challenger 300 PC at FSI Wilmington, DE, the instructor had us set up the stall profile with the autopilot engaged and then had us turn around in our seats to chat with her "to simulate being distracted" and at stickshaker we had to recover the airplane.
I liked this approach as it seemed like it was more "real world".
I forget if it was at ASA or not but somewhere in my career the term went from PNF (pilot not fliying) to PM (pilot monitoring).
Someone has to fly the airplane!
I hope we can all look at this tragedy and learn from this terrible event.

Cheers- Rum

I agree, and for jets you should do one at the service ceiling and see how many thousand feet it take to recovery. Once you get behind the curve at alt. with min thrust availibile from the engines from being at 40,000 + feet, it can take awhile to get the speed back.

Since Colgan is now owned by Pinnacle it wouldn't surprise me if they fully absorb the brand name as a P.R. ploy. No more Colgan, only Pinnacle. No change in flying.

Just a thought though. Something akin to the ValuJet / Airtran deal.

I would bet my ATP on it..

Would you feel comfortable with your family flying with this crew?

No, I wouldn't, but I generally avoid most regional flights because of the lack of experience up front. But, and this is important, I DON'T BLAME MY FELLOW PILOTS, I BLAME MANAGEMENT AND THE SYSTEM!!!!! This crew wasn't at fault for not having the proper experience. Management and the FAA told them that they were perfectly qualified to fly this airplane in this environment. If the FAA had proper minimums for flying Part 121, then this couldn't have happened. If management had cared more about finding qualified applicants, even if meant paying more to get them, then this wouldn't have happened. If management and the FAA would provide schedules that don't induce fatigue, then this wouldn't have happened. If management hadn't intimidated this FO into not calling in sick, then this wouldn't have happened. Seeing a trend here?

Many things contribute to an accident. Just placing blame on the pilots does no good. The inexperienced pilots were placed in this situation by negligent managers and government bureaucrats that care more about protecting commerce than customers. Focus on the true culprits, not the pilots that paid for their inexperience with their own lives.

Latest resources

Back