• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Interesting Colgan transcript tidbits

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Last September at my Challenger 300 PC at FSI Wilmington, DE, the instructor had us set up the stall profile with the autopilot engaged and then had us turn around in our seats to chat with her "to simulate being distracted" and at stickshaker we had to recover the airplane.
I liked this approach as it seemed like it was more "real world".
I forget if it was at ASA or not but somewhere in my career the term went from PNF (pilot not fliying) to PM (pilot monitoring).
Someone has to fly the airplane!
I hope we can all look at this tragedy and learn from this terrible event.

Cheers- Rum

Last September at my Challenger 300 PC at FSI Wilmington, DE, the instructor had us set up the stall profile with the autopilot engaged and then had us turn around in our seats to chat with her "to simulate being distracted" and at stickshaker we had to recover the airplane.
I liked this approach as it seemed like it was more "real world".
I forget if it was at ASA or not but somewhere in my career the term went from PNF (pilot not fliying) to PM (pilot monitoring).
Someone has to fly the airplane!
I hope we can all look at this tragedy and learn
from this terrible event.

Cheers- Rum
I guarantee the Feds will be all over Colgan's training dept on this. There will be changes to the way stall recovery is taught with regards to the shaker and pusher. Anytime an accident of this magnitude happens, the FAA sets up camp in the training dept. and on the line at those airlines. Colgan deserves everything they get. This is the result of an accident that kills many people. The CVR and FDR animation is very damning. It does not speak well at all for Colgan. As I have said before: Big, big changes on the way at Colgan.

You know nothing about me, you appear to know even less about basic FARs either. What were you saying about character again?

So how many hours of instruction do you have in icing conditions? Snow? How many hours in icing conditions did you have prior to your first paying job? What type of aircraft would you recommend instructors use to take students into known icing conditions? Any FARs you'd like to cover for us that might relate to this issue?

You realize that probably 99.9% of instructors have zero or less than 1 hour of instruction in icing conditions, right? I fall into the 99.9% category, of my 1000 hours instructing, I had exactly zero hours of instruction while in icing conditions.

So again, looking at what she said, where is it so wrong? That's what I'm defending numbnuts. "1900 boy"? What does that have to do with this? Are we comparing planes now? Are you out of high-school? Oh wait, let me qualify myself so that you can feel better, my plane has 2 bathrooms and my seat is up and to the left, is that better?

Oh, and one other edit, my original quote was defending what she was saying about seeing ice for the first time, how you could take that out of context and assume that I was defending the crew's actions is, again, illustrative, of your posting without thinking. Use your brain Hawker boy.

a 'knight' for smacktard.

The crew in this case was simply very weak and should not have been in that cockpit. In way over their heads. A very poor example of professionalism. The facts speak for themselves.

Seems like the bar just keeps getting lower and lower. What next? :)

I dont care how tired, how hungry, how sick, how "whatever excuse you have"......FLY THE PLANE.

These two, and they arent the only two, were (are) way over their heads. Low time. Lack of experience. Lack of understanding. Lack of skills. Lack of "whatever excuse you have"....were in way above their ability. Sadly, they knew it but didnt speak up. The captain needed the pay, the FO was waiting for more experience.

We all remember how "Sully saved the day" in the Hudson. This was not because he was well rested, or had a big lunch, or was feeling good that day.....its because he had the experience to FLY THE PLANE. Sure he was lucky that the river was there, the river was clear of boats, etc...but he knew his job. These two Colgan pilots, didnt understand their jobs.

(disclaimer.....is it easy to screw up? sure it is. Have I ever screwed up? sure I have. Have I ever bent an airplane or killed anyone? Nope)

Be safe out there. AND FLY THE AIRPLANE.

I guarantee the Feds will be all over Colgan's training dept on this. There will be changes to the way stall recovery is taught with regards to the shaker and pusher. Anytime an accident of this magnitude happens, the FAA sets up camp in the training dept. and on the line at those airlines. Colgan deserves everything they get. This is the result of an accident that kills many people. The CVR and FDR animation is very damning. It does not speak well at all for Colgan. As I have said before: Big, big changes on the way at Colgan.

Yeah, there will be changes to how they teach stall recovery. Retracting the flaps? She certainly pulled that one out of her a$$. But I digress. Mark my words there will be NO changes to the crappy pay, fatiguing schedules, flying sick, outsourcing to the lowest bidder, etc. that created this mess to begin with. Too much money is involved.

The captain needed the pay, the FO was waiting for more experience.
And this is what today's passenger is paying for. Don't even think of raising those ticket prices! Those pilots don't need higher pay....they've got the best damned job in the world!

I can't believe i am reading this CRAP... Every one of you have your heads up your ass. What ever happened to we are all in this together? Every one of you have the single letter "I" in the spelling of "team". The airline industry use to be all about being there when one of the brothers goes down, Now its all about how quickly we can criticize and ******************** all over the crew. We, let me spell this again WE all take the same risk's every time WE get into the aircraft. It's good to know that if i screw up my name is going to be dragged through the trenches like you all are dragging this crew.
I only hope this does not ever happen to any of you. Is this what the aviation community is coming to? If it is i want to get the hell out now........

Yeah, there will be changes to how they teach stall recovery. Retracting the flaps? She certainly pulled that one out of her a$$. But I digress. Mark my words there will be NO changes to the crappy pay, fatiguing schedules, flying sick, outsourcing to the lowest bidder, etc. that created this mess to begin with. Too much money is involved.

I agree. No changes to pay and work rules.

I can't believe i am reading this CRAP... Every one of you have your heads up your ass. What ever happened to we are all in this together? Every one of you have the single letter "I" in the spelling of "team". The airline industry use to be all about being there when one of the brothers goes down, Now its all about how quickly we can criticize and ******************** all over the crew. We, let me spell this again WE all take the same risk's every time WE get into the aircraft. It's good to know that if i screw up my name is going to be dragged through the trenches like you all are dragging this crew.
I only hope this does not ever happen to any of you. Is this what the aviation community is coming to? If it is i want to get the hell out now........

Bye, bye. There are THOUSANDS of wannabes lined up to take your place.

Latest resources

Back