Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Interesting Article about SWA from Motley Fool....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry General, I re-read you post.

Your saying your happy about increased payrates in 2015, and that your not losing profit sharing until later and your selling that as a win? With more larger RJ's?

The 50s weren't profitable, and you guys let that leverage go and Anderson is laughing all the way to the bank. You GAVE him the out with the larger RJ replacements.

LEVERAGE LOST GENERAL. Never to return. You guys were completely played. Some of your own pilots came on here and GOT IT. You didn't.

Clint,

The larger widebodies, 744, 777, 764, A330, already pay more per hour than your 737s. By 2015, the 757/767 will also. You will still be negotiating then most likely.

The 50 seaters were still on lease well past 2015. That is what you fail to understand. They would have had to keep them and fix them up, because the regionals would not have just given them up. Instead, the get 1 larger RJ and turn in 3 old ones, which actually is a great deal for us. Over 140 fewer RJs total will be gone after this 3 year contract is over. Also, had the RJs stayed, there would have been too much capacity out there to add your 88 717s. It was a great deal, just like the 4 moldy quesadillas you ordered last night at the hotel bar in LBB. Your belch signals I'm correct, again.

So, the leverage was used, and mainline growth created. Someday you and your empty chair will figure that out.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Clint,

The larger widebodies, 744, 777, 764, A330, already pay more per hour than your 737s. By 2015, the 757/767 will also. You will still be negotiating then most likely.

The 50 seaters were still on lease well past 2015. That is what you fail to understand. They would have had to keep them and fix them up, because the regionals would not have just given them up. Instead, the get 1 larger RJ and turn in 3 old ones, which actually is a great deal for us. Over 140 fewer RJs total will be gone after this 3 year contract is over. Also, had the RJs stayed, there would have been too much capacity out there to add your 88 717s. It was a great deal, just like the 4 moldy quesadillas you ordered last night at the hotel bar in LBB. Your belch signals I'm correct, again.

So, the leverage was used, and mainline growth created. Someday you and your empty chair will figure that out.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Wait a minute General. I think I might see a glimmer of hope here.

Yes Delta would a have been on the hook for several million dollars on engine overhauls. But you guys said 'hey, don't worry about that for a few bucks extra per hour, you can trade those in for larger, new RJs.' Don't worry about that engine cost, we got you covered. Anderson is laughing is @ss off. You guys turned out to be stooges. Some got it, you didn't.

You keep harping on the -700 deferals, you do realize those will be now be more efficent 800 Maxs right? Probably 3 time for effecient than those old DC-9s, and the MDs most likely. Oh, and good luck with those 717 engine failures....your gonna need it. And enjoy the extra sim cost that goes along with it too. How many sim types is that now? ELEVEN?

Holy return on investment Batman. That sounds like trouble when you add in the un-funded pensions!

Last edited:
Wait a minute General. I think I might see a glimmer of hope here.

Yes Delta would a have been on the hook for several million dollars on engine overhauls. But you guys said 'hey, don't worry about that for a few bucks extra per hour, you can trade those in for larger, new RJs.' Don't worry about that engine cost, we got you covered. Anderson is laughing is @ss off. You guys turned out to be stooges. Some got it, you didn't.

You keep harping on the -700 deferals, you do realize those will be now be more efficent 800 Maxs right? Probably 3 time for effecient than those old DC-9s, and the MDs most likely. Oh, and good luck with those 717 engine failures....your gonna need it. And enjoy the extra sim cost that goes along with it too. How many sim types is that now? ELEVEN?

Holy return on investment Batman. That sounds like trouble when you add in the un-funded pensions!

You're right, there was savings in engine overhauls, but more that 300 50 seaters were on the hook well past 2015. The thing with 50 seaters, they go in and out of style depending on the price of oil. High oil, they are bad, low oil they are the best thing ever. Well, this agreement quickly gets rid of them, and caps 50, 70, and 76 seaters, plus ensures at least 88 717s that would not have been here had the 50 seaters stayed. That is a fact Clint. So, we get rid of 50 seaters sooner, over 140 fewer total RJs, and gain 88 717s from you, with 25 more possibly coming from the AZ desert if DL wants them (supposedly has first right of refusal for them with Boeing). So we grow, RJs shrink in total clearing ramps and airspace, and your company will help pay for all of that. Thanks! Yes, RJ engine overhauls not paid for, but 300 plus 50 seaters gone for good. Deal!

Do we have 11 types now? You know we do more than domestic flying, right? Certain routes around the world need certain planes. I bet the sims were thrown in the deal though, and $2.5 billion last year in ancillary revenue will easily pay for it all. Would SWA ever charge for bags? Your fat old Capt in the commercials says........wait for it......"SWA would NEVER do that....." (even though AT does....?). And if DL keeps making that much PER YEAR in ancillary revenue (UAL made $5.2 billon last year), the pension problem will be paid for.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
HAHA, a 39 hour 6 day? You've got to be kidding me. Keep it up General, tell me more.

And for the record....that sounds like it sucks. Glad you enjoy a six friggen day trip.

Yeah it doesn't sound great. I like my 30hr 3day trips with about 14hrs of those 30 on rest watching TV, napping, reading, etc. One leg each way, mostly daylight flying and it's possible to basically stay on my home time zone if I want to. That's assuming I don't bid reserve and fly a trip or two every couple of months.

Really is tragic.

Latest resources

Back