Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Instrument Checkride this Wed.. dont feel prepared..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
QuasarZ said:
Couple questions... Any tips on doing a full approach partial panel? And any tips on doing a dme arc? I only have done a DME arc a few times.. so I am hoping that I do not have to do it.

Also, I have only done one auto-pilot couled approach and I asked my instructor if I would have to do one and she said "NO." Which I find hard to belive... I think that she needs to get a new PTS.. no auto pilot approach but some steep turns and stalls..?? I dunno..
but any tips on how to set up the autopilto approach?
Thanks

Here's how I flew it:

I flew a DME arc approach with my Garmin 430 and Sandel showing me the line, so I had it easy, but if you don't have that, slowly fly the DME. If your distance starts to shrink, turn out 10 degrees and hold that for a moment. If it starts to increase, turn in 10 degrees and hold it for a moment. Don't chase it and over-correct....you've got a mile.

I was taught to think in terms of 10 degree increments. Turn 10 and hold it...turn 10 and hold it...turn 10 and hold it....

As far as the auto-pilot...I used mine. Why wouldn't you use everything at your disposal?

However, I flew the heading bug, rather than tried to couple it (mine at the time wasn't the easiest AP to work with anyway) when I was under a heavy workload and the DE was trying to distract me with questions, etc.

Here's what I remember from my instrument checkride from 3 years ago. The oral lasted a hour. The DE looked at my 8710 and logbook, 15 minutes. I gave him my flight plan that I did the previous night he filed it away. We talked about how long ATC would hold a flight plan before canceling it. We talked about the requirements for filing an alternate. He told me a story about flying through a squall line during his corporate days. We talked about AWOS. He briefed the flight portion of the checkride.
For the flight I filed to go to a Class C airport 20 miles north. I did 1 precision and 1 non-precision approach. Both involved radar vectors to the final approach course. Returned to our home airport. I performed a vor approach where he covered the AI. Once again via radar vectors. The flight portion did take some time because we being vectored around with the big boys(737's/757's). ATC was not happy handling a warrior.

jesus, this thread has me nervous as hell!!! i take my instrument and CFI-I written on thursday, end-of-course prog (4 hours!!!) on sunday, and if i pass, checkride mon or tues (hopefully). don't forget to add GGGGSCAR for the IFR-required list to go with ATOMATOFLAMES:
Gyroscopic heading indicator
Gyroscopic rate-of-turn indicator
Gyroscopic pitch and bank indicator
Generator or alternator
Slip/skid indicator
Clock w/ working seconds hand
Altimeter (sensitive -- meaning needs to be adjustable EX: kollsman widow)
Radios

that's in 91.205

good luck on wednesday!!! let us know how it goes!!! i'll keep y'all informed about my instrument adventures as well.

cforst513 said:
...don't forget to add GGGGSCAR for the IFR-required list to go with ATOMATOFLAMES:
Gyroscopic heading indicator
Gyroscopic rate-of-turn indicator
Gyroscopic pitch and bank indicator
Generator or alternator
Slip/skid indicator
Clock w/ working seconds hand
Altimeter (sensitive -- meaning needs to be adjustable EX: kollsman widow)
Radios

GGGGSCAR is new on me.

I always heard GRABCARD
Generator
Rate of turn indicator
Attitude indicator
Ball
Clock
Altimeter (Sensitive)
Radios necessary (VOR, ADF, whatever)
Directional Gyro

Either or...good luck on your checkride(s) cfrost...I'm sure you will both be fine.

-mini

QuasarZ said:
Also, I have only done one auto-pilot couled approach and I asked my instructor if I would have to do one and she said "NO." Which I find hard to belive... I think that she needs to get a new PTS.. no auto pilot approach but some steep turns and stalls..?? I dunno..
but any tips on how to set up the autopilto approach?
Thanks

Page 15 of the PTS (emphasis added): The applicant is expected to utilize an autopilot and/or flight management system (FMS), if properly installed, during the instrument practical test to assist in the management of the aircraft. The examiner is expected to test the applicant's knowledge of the systems that are installed and operative during the oral and flight portions of the practical test. The applicant will be required to demonstrate the use of the autopilot and/or FMS during one of the nonprecision approaches.

Sorry I cannot give you any tips on the autopilot approaches, have not been lucky enough to have flow a plane with autopilot. In my case that is a luxury.

Good luck on your checkride, I am sure you will do fine. Just enjoy the flight and treat it as another lesson, both of you learning from each other!

minitour said:
GGGGSCAR is new on me.

I always heard GRABCARD
Generator
Rate of turn indicator
Attitude indicator
Ball
Clock
Altimeter (Sensitive)
Directional Gyro

Either or...good luck on your checkride(s) cfrost...I'm sure you will both be fine.

-mini
Here we do GrRABCARDD, the last d is for DME above Fl240

minitour said:
GGGGSCAR is new on me.

I always heard GRABCARD
Generator
Rate of turn indicator
Attitude indicator
Ball
Clock
Altimeter (Sensitive)
Directional Gyro

-mini
my way is easy to remember -- 4 g's in a car

plus it helps you remember them word for word from the FARs

The applicant will be required to demonstrate the use of the autopilot and/or FMS during one of the nonprecision approaches.

My DE didn't make me do a coupled approach. The plane had an AP.

Good luck. Just stay calm and relax. Fly like you know how to fly and talk about stuff you know about.

Well it is today.. and we will see how things go! BUt a couple questions...
What is the safe airpsace while holding?
And lets say you are on approach to runway 32 and they say circle south runway 14. Do I make my left turn south there and go all the way around the airport or to I veer right a bit so I am on a downwind to 14 then turn left for base to final which is the south part of it.

So, did you pass?

Now that it's over, I can tell you...if you don't feel prepared, why are you doing the checkride? I can't imagine going into an appointment with an examiner without the confidence that I know my stuff.

Latest resources

Back