Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Instrument Checkride this Wed.. dont feel prepared..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I always ask myself two questions...when I am teaching ground (to get a visual perspective) or in the air (the procedures should be there already)...What am I waiting for and what am I going to do when I get there? The answer..5T's Turn Time Twist Throttle Talk, which and what applies. If your there with Idle time and nothing applies you have done a fantastic appch brief or you have missed to oportunity to get ahead of the aircraft.

Just stay calm, maintain your situational awareness, get the big picture but keep calm and relax you know this stuff, Good Luck, hope this helps

1. Use the GPS. It is an available instrument, you are an idiot if you don't. However, be prepared if you fixate on it he will turn it off. I.E. in the hold turn your VOR.

2. In the hold ask for DME legs, I.E. ATC 123MT request 5 DME legs.

3. Sleep at least some the night before and eat breakfast.

Other than that you are probably better prepared for the ground than you could ever imagine. It was really easy.

viper548 said:
ASA oral exam guide
Yea, I used to beat my 10 day instrument students with that oral guide...never had a washout.

QuasarZ said:
I am working on a truncated time table here.. haha.. one day left!
I think you know more than what you give yourself credit for. Relax, you either got it or you don't at this point. Get that sleep the other poster mentioned...free your mind and your ass will follow.

Good luck, have a great ride

Remember, if you forget something,

BFD!

Just look it up, no one has mentioned that, odd. There is no law that says it isn't open book, the oral is almost impossiple to fail.

Know your lost comm procedures down cold! I got killed on my instrument checkride with those. And not just the rote knowledge, be prepared for any kind of scenario he can give you, and how you'd "real world" fly it. Sometimes there's a big difference between saying the rote knowledge, and really understanding how to fly it in the real world.

If your already using the ASA Oral Exam Guide you should be good. Those guides are really thorough and should have you well prepared.

And I agree about the autopilot thing as well. If you have one in your airplane, know it well! I was never allowed to use it during my instrument training, but during the checkride the examiner wanted me to fly an autopilot-coupled ILS approach. I had about 10 seconds to figure that one out. And as funny as it sounds, had I not used Microsoft Flight Sim during much of my IR training, I wouldn't have had a clue how to do it either! But fortunately I had, and I pulled it off with minimal coaching.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, just relax! I know its next to impossible to really do before a checkride, but give yourself some credit, and dont be spending the last day and few hours before the ride cramming your head full of stuff that you already know. It'll only make you less sharp, and stress you out even more!

I always had a rule for myself that on the day of the checkride, I wouldn't touch any books, or do anything that had to do with the checkride (asides from finishing flight plan, and weather when required). You'll go into the ride much more relaxed and fresh that way, and it'll show.

GOOD LUCK!

minitour said:
My instrument oral wasn't all that bad...I had to plan a cross country flight in front of the examiner

I've never had to plan a cross country flight in front of an examiner. For both my Pvt and Inst checkrides, I was told to plan a flight before the checkride and bring the paperwork when meeting the examiner.

KigAir said:
I've never had to plan a cross country flight in front of an examiner. For both my Pvt and Inst checkrides, I was told to plan a flight before the checkride and bring the paperwork when meeting the examiner.

Except for the instrument ride, I was always given advance notice of where to plan the flight to and always had it done. This one was a different kinda situation.

minitour said:
I had to plan a cross country flight in front of the examiner (he called me 10 minutes before and asked me "do you want to do your checkride now?" so ... no time to prep).

He had someone cancel the flight portion of their instrument ride so...away I went.

Quasar

If he didn't give you a cross country to plan already, expect to have to do it for him. Although if you're asking about DUATS, I'm guessing he already gave you that information.

Good luck with the ride!

-mini

And remember, in the oral, answer the question he asks, and STOP. Don't tell him how to build a clock if he asks what time it is.

Latest resources

Back