Inside info on FedEx pilot hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mr Zog said:
Ok. I wasn't gonna get into the military vs civilian arguement. But I have nothing better to do than "stoke the flames " a bit.

Psysicx,

I have to take a little opposition to your comment about "low time" with military pilots. I can't talk for the "fast mover" guys or the squids and jarheads, but for the "toads" the flight time is all about "quality." For example, a local four to five hour sortie would include a formation departure, a tanker air refueling, a receiver air refueling, and about two hours beating up the pattern (usaully get 4 or 5 touch-and-gos). Not to mention vast experience in oceanic crossings, ICAO, cargo operations, wide-body aircraft operations, etc... I am not saying that military is better than civilian. But you can't compare one hour of military time with one hour of civilian time, it is like comparing apple to oranges.

I have great respect for military pilots. Have flown with a lot of them in 121 and 135 ops. But I don't care what you flew in the military, the civilians from a good 121 operator are just as competant and usually have triple the time as their military counterparts when hired. They're also a known quantity. Kalitta, Gemini, Atlas, Polar, World, etc., do just fine with former Beech 1900 pilots.

~~~^~~~ said:
I like Fed Ex's candor. Now those who have what they are looking for know what to stress during the process. However, the one part that leaves me guessing is how being in management is an additional aviation skill.

At my old job, unless you were roomies with a certain individual in management, you could forget about being a check airman, sim evaluator, chief pilot, etc. I really don't see why you would need to have been in one of these positions to have a better chance at an interview. I certainly don't understand how you would be a "risk" if you were "just" a line pilot. I know one person who has been in every single one of these positions. I can almost 100% guarantee that every pilot I know would cringe at the thought of flying in an airplane with the man. A lot of this involves looking great on paper but doesn't really guarantee a safe, professional, proficient pilot.

I didn't want to start a mil vs civ.I was just wondering if it matters if your time comes from AD or reserves/guard?

capt. megadeth said:
... a check airman, sim evaluator, chief pilot, etc. I really don't see why you would need to have been in one of these positions to have a better chance at an interview.

capt mega ... Do you really have no idea how a check airman, sim evaluator or chief pilot position might benefit you professionally? This is sort of pointing out the "OBVIOUS" in my opinion. All demonstrates to me a higher level of competence, a degree of leadership, and a certain "go-getter", enthusiastic, non-complacent attitude. Being an average line slug doesn't set you apart in this difficult hiring environment, wouldn't you agree?

I'm really not interested in a specific bad example of a poor chief pilot etc... just a generalization that someone who has worked a little harder to achieve one of the above positions does set himself/herself apart from the pack. It's a tough hiring environment. From one of your previous posts, I've learned (for example) that you do not have a current FE written ... though you've lamented that no one has called you for an interview in 4 years, etc ... Sounds like a bit of an "entitlement" mentality to me. Why leave any stone unturned (that is within your power/capability) in your effort to obtain a major airline job?

If you want a job at a premier carrier you've got to set yourself apart ... period. Obtain additional ratings, levels of responsibility/supervision, whatever to rise above your competition .... instead of lamenting why you haven't been called for an interview, how long you've been waiting, etc ... I really don't mean to sound like I'm harping on you personally, it's just that sometimes people don't have a clue how hard the military guys fought for upgrades, additional qualifications, additional levels of responsibility all in the hopes of demonstrating to some HR person that they are a "go-getter", enthusiastic, highly qualified, and affable.

I know of numerous military pilots who obtained "masters" degrees (for example) simply to set themselves apart from their major airline wannabee competition. The one common denominator amongst these individuals is their drive to be employed by a major airline. Every active duty military pilot has at least a bachelor degree and many have masters' as well. Yet, I read over and over on these boards and others how a number of wannabees want to know how to take the short cut and get hired without at least a bachelor's degree. My advice: become as qualified as you possibly can afford to ... in terms of time and money, and continue to enhance your resume till you are hired by the company of your dreams ... then, and only then come join the old man/woman bitch club and gripe about the crappy pay and work rules at your former "dream company". <g>

Other than the above statement of yours ... I have sincerely enjoyed your posts and strongly believe you would be a great asset to any airline. I do wish you the best.

BBB

psysicx said:
I didn't want to start a mil vs civ.I was just wondering if it matters if your time comes from AD or reserves/guard?

I imagine it would be the same difference as getting a speeding ticket from an active police officer as a reserve police officer.

Very strange question ...

BBB

sandman2122 said:
I personally sponsored an AA furloughed guy who interviewed with us at FedEx last month. I also have another AA furloughed buddy that interviewed the following day. A third who happened to turn down an interview back in 2000 may even get an interview.....I've also got a NWA furlough bud who's working on getting an appointment with an ACP....

FedEx is considering/interviewing furloughed guys. The door is open, but you need someone willing to sponsor you.

Hey, I resemble one of those remarks!

Still playing the no news is good news game.....

Somethings definately in Megadeaths closet since she is a FEMALE, has had her app in for YEARS, has RECOMMENDATIONS. Have fun at Chicago Express for the few remaining weeks you have. You will NOT be getting a MAJOR job anytime SOON.

Rhoid said:
Somethings definately in Megadeaths closet since she is a FEMALE, has had her app in for YEARS, has RECOMMENDATIONS. Have fun at Chicago Express for the few remaining weeks you have. You will NOT be getting a MAJOR job anytime SOON.

Um, you are just rude.
Really nice to wish ill will on someone's career.

BBB,
I do see your point. The point I was trying to make with my post is that (and maybe the military is different) at a lot of airlines, you can be the biggest "go getter" and a great leader, but if you are not friends with the right people, you will never be a check airman, instructor, etc. I have seen a good number of people get into these positions when it was obvious that there were others much more capable and/or qualified. Also, my other point is that others look good on paper but there are many things that don't go on a resume that would make someone stand out amongst a check airman, instructor, etc. That being said, I know it is tough right now and I don't feel entitled to anything but I have seen people with less qualifications than me get interviews which makes me slightly frustrated.

Oh and Rhoid, I am working on getting that felony expunged from my record. Ya think that's what's holding me back? :rolleyes:

capt.

Is it possible that you are not the best judge of character, ability, skill, qualifications, personality, etc. as compared to those deciding on who gets the instructor/ca jobs?

Latest resources

Back