Inside info on FedEx pilot hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My Take:

Fed EX requires a sponsor as a way to both include thier current employees in the process and prescreen the applicant pool.

Having done both Mil and Civ flying, I think Mil flying is MUCH more conducive to networking and developing friendships that would lead someone to walk in a buds resume on a day off.

Civilian pt 121 flying is a job, and in the airlines, esp airlines with PBS, (since you fly with someone different almost every trip), there is really no time during a four day trip to really get to know someone unless its in a negative way. So if you are a regional Captain with a buttload of hours, but have no sponsor, you may be stuck cold calling someone you flew with years ago.

And its kind of hard to appear enthusiastic in your recomendation, esp. with the stipualtions laid down by the CP, (you don't want to attach your name to the one guy who fails out of training) for some you know of, but really don't know that well.

This opinion is worth what you paid for it.

rumor has it ...... the fedex acps are getting a little annoyed at the military pilots. A majority of Fedex military pilots show up for training, get paid $2000 a month before taxes, can't afford to feed the wife and kids, and then disappear back to their previous military jobs to make more money until 2nd year pay or upgrade.

If you were a bean counter, Who would you rather hire? civilian or military?

:)

Tomnsolo said:
rumor has it ...... the fedex acps are getting a little annoyed at the military pilots. A majority of Fedex military pilots show up for training, get paid $2000 a month before taxes, can't afford to feed the wife and kids, and then disappear back to their previous military jobs to make more money until 2nd year pay or upgrade.

If you were a bean counter, Who would you rather hire? civilian or military?

:)

Another ridiculous rumor. Just like that post a few pages before claiming FedEx was going to have people sign training contracts.

I am sure there were a few isolated cases with reservists taking MIL Leave over the holidays that got a few ACPs irked. Next thing you know someone is claiming that FedEx is "annoyed" will all military pilots. FedEx has always been very fair in dealing with reserve committments. I am sure it will continue.

Enough with the rumors. FedEx uses a panel of ACPs, and each backgound is represented (ie Navy, Air Force, Civilian, etc.) They all give inputs to those that have gotten the "green light" for an interview. Do the military pilots have a better network than the civilian pilots? Yes. Refer to Waldens post. He hits the nail on the head. The individuals I walk into the ACP I have know for years, have flown with on numerous occassions, have been on 30-60 deployments with, know there family, and most importantly have seen them on a daily basis at work for years. That is not the case on the civilian side. I know, I have a good friend interviewing with Fedex in a few weeks whose sole background in civilian. That is his biggest complaint.

And as a bean counter, I am sure they are more interested in hiring individuals they feel certain will complete training. I would hire the most qualified applicant (military or civilian).

Last edited:
Heck, I will jump head first into the military vs. civilian arguement.

A different viewpoint concerning flying in the reserves during your first years at FedEx (I did). This latest bid brings a situation to light. There will be a great deal of second officers who have been on the panel for 2 or 3 years (due to limited hiring and seat progression) who will be going to the MD-11 or A-300 right seat (the MD-11 arguably one of the more difficult training programs). If you are on the civilian side, you may never have flown an aircraft larger than 125,000 pounds. And now you probably have not flown a plane for the past 3 years. Are you going to be a bit rusty when you start training? Someone who flys in the reserves, at least has had the opportunity to remain somewhat current (and in the case of my old reserve unit is flying a plane very similar to the one he will be training in). They may have a slight advantage when in comes to the start of training? Something to ponder.

It really doesn't matter. Civilian or Military, everyone who meets the requirements is qualified. It is just getting in that is the problem.

Last edited:
bluefin said:
Considered a risk= furloughed or not a checkairman, that's pretty harsh. I thought Fedex was ALPA? If so how come no help from ALPA on putting fellow brothers and sisters back in the cockpit?

I find this especially interesting for two reasons:

1) I have heard so much grief from pilots on this board that AirTran will only consider pilots with previous 121 PIC and/or Milspec equivalent- imagine if we said now they also had to have been Check Airman . . . . holy cow!

2) Not interviewing furloughed pilots is a real slap, especially to the thousands of pilots that are giving Fedex guys a ride to work. My carrier has less to offer than Fedex from a total compensation standpoint, but we hire plenty of furloughed guys and gals, and it certainly isn't because we have a shortage of applicants! We hire pilots who meet the requirements and express an enthusiasm about working here. Too bad that Fedex can;t simply do the same.

Ty Webb said:
I find this especially interesting for two reasons:

1) I have heard so much grief from pilots on this board that AirTran will only consider pilots with previous 121 PIC and/or Milspec equivalent- imagine if we said now they also had to have been Check Airman . . . . holy cow!

2) Not interviewing furloughed pilots is a real slap, especially to the thousands of pilots that are giving Fedex guys a ride to work. My carrier has less to offer than Fedex from a total compensation standpoint, but we hire plenty of furloughed guys and gals, and it certainly isn't because we have a shortage of applicants! We hire pilots who meet the requirements and express an enthusiasm about working here. Too bad that Fedex can;t simply do the same.

I agree, it is unfair for FedEx to not consider pilots on furlough. I don't think it is management's official policy though. Either way, the pilot force should not be held accountable. Hiring policy is a management decision, not a pilot decision. Please don't take it out on the pilot's trying to get to work. Hopefully things will change.

Last edited:
1. I'm friends with the former MEM CP who now flies the line and does interviews. He told me they shoot for a "mix." I've never seen a class with fewer than 1/3 civvy only; usually more like 40-50%. MUCH better than some mainline carriers I could name (anybody still got some old UAL scantrons? I need to update - I'm getting tons of widebody FE time!)

2. "The Don," former 727 head of training and an old Navy fighter type, told my class he never saw any pilot subgroup that was more trainable or better prepared than any others. Good and bad come from all of them.

3. Ditto on the lack of airline networking. I got recommended to here by I guy I flew corporate with. The friends you make in the regionals tend to be your classmates - and you don't usually fly with them.

I personally sponsored an AA furloughed guy who interviewed with us at FedEx last month. I also have another AA furloughed buddy that interviewed the following day. A third who happened to turn down an interview back in 2000 may even get an interview.....I've also got a NWA furlough bud who's working on getting an appointment with an ACP....

FedEx is considering/interviewing furloughed guys. The door is open, but you need someone willing to sponsor you.

Last edited:
I too have buddies F'd by UAL and AA that have come to MEM for the grip & grin and I think got interviews.

FedEx is hiring furloughed guys. They have to have a sponsor of course. FedEx was burned in the past after furloughed pilots from several carriers were hired and then left following the recall from there original carrier. That left a bad taste in the mouth and has given the company pause in hiring furloughees. Bad deal but somewhat understandable. That being said, they are and have been hiring pilots in that situation for awhile.

Latest resources

Back