Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
seefive said:
capt.

Is it possible that you are not the best judge of character, ability, skill, qualifications, personality, etc. as compared to those deciding on who gets the instructor/ca jobs?

Hmmmm, let's see. One round of new check airmen a few years back....
All room mates with the Director of Training. Things that make ya go hmmmmmmm.

capt. megadeth said:
BBB,
I do see your point. The point I was trying to make with my post is that (and maybe the military is different) at a lot of airlines, you can be the biggest "go getter" and a great leader, but if you are not friends with the right people, you will never be a check airman, instructor, etc. I have seen a good number of people get into these positions when it was obvious that there were others much more capable and/or qualified. Also, my other point is that others look good on paper but there are many things that don't go on a resume that would make someone stand out amongst a check airman, instructor, etc. That being said, I know it is tough right now and I don't feel entitled to anything but I have seen people with less qualifications than me get interviews which makes me slightly frustrated.

capt mega: my last piece of advice and I'll leave you alone. You must accept in your heart that life is NOT FAIR. If you truly yearn for that dream aviation job, you must persevere through the challenges and continue to enhance your professional qualifications. Network whenever you can, seek out check airman status, take additional courses, volunteer to be a safety pilot on "Mercy Flights", mentor youth in aviation, definitely join WIA and network your fanny off there, join the safety committee in your union (if you have one ... if not, you start one!). You must demonstrate on paper and in person during the interview that you have a passion for aviation and are always attempting to better yourself.

Imagine you are the interviewer and representing your dream company. Would you hire the line pilot with acceptable qualifications that appears to be "waiting for the dream job" or the applicant that really has a burning desire to be here as evidenced by her numerous additional qualifications, duties, professional aviation memberships (WIA), mentoring affiliations, etc ...?

I know it sounds like a huge pain, but in today's environment of just a handful of healthy airlines that are hiring you must do the above to set yourself apart. Trust me, it is worth it for a career at your dream job. Bust your fanny now and cruise later when you are aboard.

Finally, disregard the inequities you see around you. They will only distract and frustrate you from reaching your goal of that dream job. The easy path is to get discouraged, make excuses, and ultimately do nothing. Stay focused, work hard, and imagine yourself at your dream job. Finally, you must internalize (at least temporarily during the interview) the go-getter, positive, polite and enthusiastic qualities. GETTING the interview is just the beginning. Once there, you've got to knock their socks off and convince them you are EXACTLY what they are looking for! <g> Trust me, this is nothing more than a mindset and you've got to get there if you are going to be successful. (Yes, I've coached quite a few applicants successfully ... <vbg> )

Best of luck ...

BBB

capt. megadeth said:
Hmmmm, let's see. One round of new check airmen a few years back....
All room mates with the Director of Training. Things that make ya go hmmmmmmm.

He can directly attest to their character, and the DOT knows he can get along with them. What's the problem with that, Bucko?

Rhoid said:
Somethings definately in Megadeaths closet since she is a FEMALE, has had her app in for YEARS, has RECOMMENDATIONS. Have fun at Chicago Express for the few remaining weeks you have. You will NOT be getting a MAJOR job anytime SOON.

...Negative energy...bad Kharma...chill out dude and have a brewski!

bestpilot said:
He can directly attest to their character, and the DOT knows he can get along with them. What's the problem with that, Bucko?

Should I leave my fiancee and move in with the DOT then? Maybe I should be fake and pretend to be friends with some of these people.

Furloughees.....

I was recently in a new hire class.....

2 ATA
1 Midwest Express
1 American

(that I can remember)

Furloughees ARE being interviewed and hired.

This is such a fabulous place!!

Latest resources

Back