• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Innovative ways to save money...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At some point, doesn't the additional time on the airframe eat some of the fuel savings?

MT

That's true for engines with an MSP type program like on the TFE 731s. But on Gulfstreams, at least the old Twos and Threes, they're on calender programs so there's no per hour charge.

We have found that flying LRC (.26 AOA) is the most economical under all circumstances--head winds or tailwinds. We might put more time on the airframe and engines by flying slower, but that will end up paying the owner a little more and giving the oil companies a little less. As I said, this equation changes when you're on an MSP program.

If you time it right, you can stay at the FBO's crew lounge for free! And if they have a shower, you are good to go! And that's not to mention the free candies or cookies that can substitute for one meal a day.

Don't forget to keep the crew car out overnight. Rental cars are for suckers.:laugh: If they have one of those obnoxious 2 hour limit policies, tell them it broke down and you had to call AAA, and how they're lucky your not seeking reimbursment for your time. A strong offense is the best defense.:uzi:

Why bother saving them money....you'll never see an appreciation bonus check at the end of the year "LOL", because there's no way to prove you saved anything. Unless you do the exact same routes, cities and hotels each year. Just fly and don't spend money foolishly, thats the best you can do.

Our dispatcher gets us "pretty much" the best hotels that include breakfast, rental cars at almost every RON and catering on busy days for the crew when we don't have to time to hit a restaurant so we don't starve.......I'm gonna leave well-enough alone at my company.

Last edited:
Why bother saving them money....you'll never see an appreciation bonus check at the end of the year "LOL",

The vast majority of corp pilots I know get bonuses, some easily in the 25-50K range.

While I cant speak for others, I do know that my boss knows damn well how much money he is "saving" by our efforts with negotiatiing fuel, hangar leases, managing general expenses etc....I know this as he tells he us exactly that! - and happens to hand out nice cash bonuses in appreciation.

Its all a game. These are largely luxury toys..but most rich people I have flown take asset management very serious. They look at you as not only flying their families safe, but as managing their money. Thats what they want on your mind all the time.

And I don't mind putting in a decent effort to save money if I get some kind of benefit of it also (A good job, good bonus, etc) If my boss didnt appreciate it and show he did, I'd go work hard for someone else..

Going for the highest altitude is not always the best for fuel burn. By checking the WSI computer and seeing exactly what the winds are doing, you can pick the best altitude. If going eastbound, sometimes an upper 30's altitude is best. It is amazing what a 150kt tailwind will do for your fuel burn. Part of the technique I use is use the best altitude and pull the power back until my ground speed equals my true airspeed or I reach the minimum mach I am comfortable with. On the flip side, if the head winds are strong, I will climb above 410 early. Though I take a hit on true airspeed, my ground speed is generally the same or a little better. But as I get lighter my speed will come back. My trip times doing this are generally about the same but with a lower fuel burn. The G4 I was flying, we starting using LRC. The trip times were averaging a 2 to 4 minutes more per hour of computed flight time, but we were burning about 300 lbs per hour less.

On the catering side. I got so tired of the poor catering and the pax complaints at one of our regular stops, that I started going to the supermarket getting a couple of loaves of bread, some pre shredded lettuce, a package of cheese and 2 or 3 packages of sandwich meats and let them make their own. And they were actually much happier with that. Over 35 dollars per lunch box with stale bread, a little meat, a lot of lettuce, a cookie and a small portion of a hideous salad. And even then the caterer could follow directions.

...I have actually found that flying in the upper 20's/low 30's on hour to hour and half flights (at least in my citation) saves fuel as well as hobbs time... Had a few guys I use to fly with that would take her to the high 30's/low 40's in an attempt to save fuel but actually the flight time was much higher and thus the fuel burn while lower per hour didn't save anything.

Going for the highest altitude possible is certainly no way to save fuel in every airplane I have flown (aside for maybe turbojet lears?) - in fact, its a downright horrible idea if you are trying to fly long range.

For the last few planes I flew, along with the current one, FL370 for a few hours followed by FL410 then later (maybe 6hrs later) FL450....etc..is the way to stretch legs.

Only dorks who like to take goofy FMS and Airshow pictures for the internet struggle to FL510 (hey wait that me!!)

Its the corporate version of the regional adventure called "lets 410 it dude"

Last edited:
Gulfstream 200 said:
Going for the highest altitude possible is certainly no way to save fuel in every airplane I have flown (aside for maybe turbojet lears?) - in fact, its a downright horrible idea if you are trying to fly long range.

I've found climbing to the max operating altitude of FL450 will always provide the best range in the CJ2+. From FL410 to FL450, fuel flow drops 10-12% with only 1-2% drop in TAS.

I'd imagine this is due to the relatively low MMo due to the straight wing (0.737M) and the efficiency of the engines...and obviously doesn't hold true for other swept-wing aircraft.

Latest resources

Back