• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Innovative ways to save money...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cynically I think a lot of the effort you guys are making isn't likely even noticed....

Guess to me its more about Integrity... or doing the right thing even if no one is watching. Karma is also at work in aviation I believe.

Biggest way to save money is flying efficiently and tankering smartly. Many dont do a good job of this. Amazing how many dont understand that simply flying the correct climb profile can be huge. How many do you see climb at 250kts all the way to cruise alt? People confuse angle vs rate. Rate is what gets you to alt faster and downrange farther.
Example - if you fly a plane that cruises at .82, climbing to cruise alt at 250kts is criminal! Accellerating to 280/290/300 passing 10K(type dependant) and climbing at that speed until intercepting cruise mach then climbing at that speed the rest of the way.........

There is so much more. Many of us dont understand the math behind it. Try this in your flight department. Ask your pilots what the difference in flight time will be between flying from Dallas to Teterboro at .78 vs .82 or best cruise mach vs fastest cruise in your machine. Then run a flight plan at the different speeds

The guys trying to save 20 bucks on a hotel room are pissing in the wind.

The absolute biggest opportunity to save is fuel and most do a poor job at it

I personally would follow the manufacturers recommendation as far as climbing and flying efficiently. On the 900B, Dassault recommends a 260 knot/.72 mach climb for maximum efficiency. And yes I have compared the 260/.72 to the 300/.80 profile and not surprisingly Dassault is correct. In the Hawker 800, the recommended climb profile for maximum efficiency was 250 knots/.63 mach( or somewhere close to this, it's been a while). So your advice to always use a high speed climb will not save fuel. The manufacturers put a lot of effort into the manuals, so we might as well use their knowledge. I doubt any of us know the airplanes better than they do.

I've got a Hyundai. The transmission is junk, the electrical is crazy, the scheduled maintenance is between $1500 and $2000 every 30,000 miles and the gas mileage is less than my old Yukon.

I told G200 exactly that before he traded in his car for his current Hyundai! There was no talking him down from the ledge though. However, I will give him some credit; He does take exceptional care of his car. Always parks it far away so nobody dings the doors regardless of the outside temperature, and never allows his kids to eat in the car.

Go easy on the brakes and tires. This can be one of your largest maintenance expenses for many aircraft. Roll it to the end and keep the brakes and tires cool. A few dozen extra landings amortized over the cost of a set of tires and brakes is real dollars. Unfortunately there is nothing sexy about doing it this way, and pretty hard to show the boss the cost savings versus getting a hotel room on Priceline. Many times it's about perception than actual savings.

I dont use the brakes.....in my Hyundai or my Grumman. Forget that concept of getting on the brakes to assure they are there and the fact that early steady braking is best for brake life...I dont need any of that. Its my runway I will use it all. I fly a big airplane.

I'm all about saving....you should see the fuel savings program I created for our department.

I got a gold star from my chief pilot.

Last edited:
4.5 degree? Man why don't you just shut down the engines and glide down?

The reality is you can save costs, but I'm not going to do it at the cost of my quality of life.

If the owner doesn't realize your saving money then whats the point? Make sure he understands you are saving him money. At the end of each quarter do a breakdown on where you are saving and how much you are saving.

Because at the end if he doesn't know it you aren't going to get credit for it, and you might lose your job to someone else that says they are going to save him more money. ie a managment company.

The other thing is that it isn't your money. I've seen this thousands of times with people that scrimp to save a buck at the issue of QOL and then screw it up for those that follow. I've seen it the other way of course but generally being pilots we do it the cheapest way possible at the maximum benefit for us. With that though my QOL is job one. period.

If the quality of life goes to hell then whats the point of saving money.

Latest resources

Back