• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Informational Stapling Compass to Delta Website

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Which letter are you reading. I am trying to find the language.

Here you go;
Feeder Carrier Affiliate pilots who elect protected right status:

a. Must do so within forty-five (45) days after their notification of an employment opportunity at Northwest; (1) By doing so, the Feeder Carrier Affiliate pilot will (except as provided in paragraph D.2.c. below) permanently forfeit any future employment opportunity at Northwest Airlines provided by the flow through agreement with Northwest Airlines and Compass Airlines.

b. A protected rights Compass Airlines pilot shall be senior at Compass Airlines to any pilot flowing down from Northwest Airlines subsequent to the employment of the protected rights pilot at Compass Airlines.

c. No more than ninety percent (90%) of pilot positions will be preserved for Northwest Airlines pilots (a "preserved position"). No more than ten
22-3 Section 22 - Seniority July 26, 2007
percent (10%) of pilot positions will be preserved for pilots electing protected rights status (a "rights status position") at Compass Airlines. In the event of a reduction in the total number of positions at Compass, the number of "preserved positions" and "rights status positions" will be adjusted to maintain the nine to one (9:1) ratio. "Rights status" will be removed from pilots in reverse seniority order and such pilot will again have flow rights to Northwest.
3. Compass Airlines pilots will be offered employment at Northwest Airlines before any other Northwest Airlines Affiliate Carrier or new hires from the street directly to Northwest Airlines.

I When DL furloughs all at Compass will be on the steet and DL pilots will be in those seats for a long time

Those seats never belonged to Compass pilots in the first place.

Resolutions should be based solely on recapturing ALL outsourced flying starting with the EMB175. If that includes bringing Compass pilots on to our Delta list then I see no problem. But no sacrifices should be made on behalf of the Delta pilot group. Our priority is to recapture our flying not to hand out seniority numbers.

I think the 100% is correct until CPZ pilots get to choose whether they want to flow-up, and only 10% are protected if they decline. Since no one has had that choice yet, I believe DAL still gets 100% until that point.
This is correct. No one has been offered the flowthrough so 100% of the seats are available.

Here you go;
Feeder Carrier Affiliate pilots who elect protected right status:

a. Must do so within forty-five (45) days after their notification of an employment opportunity at Northwest; (1) By doing so, the Feeder Carrier Affiliate pilot will (except as provided in paragraph D.2.c. below) permanently forfeit any future employment opportunity at Northwest Airlines provided by the flow through agreement with Northwest Airlines and Compass Airlines.

b. A protected rights Compass Airlines pilot shall be senior at Compass Airlines to any pilot flowing down from Northwest Airlines subsequent to the employment of the protected rights pilot at Compass Airlines.

c. No more than ninety percent (90%) of pilot positions will be preserved for Northwest Airlines pilots (a "preserved position"). No more than ten
22-3 Section 22 - Seniority July 26, 2007
percent (10%) of pilot positions will be preserved for pilots electing protected rights status (a "rights status position") at Compass Airlines. In the event of a reduction in the total number of positions at Compass, the number of "preserved positions" and "rights status positions" will be adjusted to maintain the nine to one (9:1) ratio. "Rights status" will be removed from pilots in reverse seniority order and such pilot will again have flow rights to Northwest.
3. Compass Airlines pilots will be offered employment at Northwest Airlines before any other Northwest Airlines Affiliate Carrier or new hires from the street directly to Northwest Airlines.

This doesn't go into effect until DAL is hiring and people decide to stay at Compass. As of right now, DAL gets 100% of the seats.

Blade:
Not sure if you're CMR or XJ. But looking at things, if you're cmr, you might want to start looking for a new line of work! And thank the senior cmr types for the perdicament they put you in today

I'm XJ, We had a very good relationship with NWA MEC and would very much like that to continue with the DAL MEC. Time will tell.

I think it would be a good start to get Compass on the DAL list.

Everyone seems to knock a few guys who don't want the staple at Compass. What if these F/O's in question came to Compass looking for a quick upgrade to go to FDX, UPS, SWA? Maybe they want the PIC time and really don't want anything to do with Delta. The staple would essentially tie them to Delta permanently or force them to look elsewhere to get PIC time. No, I don't work for Compass. Just food for thought.

Roswell,

I think (only 80% sure) an SLI would require member ratification at some point. That pilot could vote.

As for a FO looking for a quick upgrade, how is that going to work at an airline with a 36 jet fleet that is not going to grow under Delta's scope? The best way for this FO to see growth is to hope for a merger which would free Delta to exercise its 36 E175, or E190 options AT MAINLINE.

It is unlikely that many (if any) mainline pilots would bid to Compass unless to improve quality of life, bases or commuting. This push is really about job security, Delta mainline growth, and closing a scope loophole.

... and lets not get confused and think a single list is right around the corner. If (a big IF) the MEC decided a single list policy benefited its pilots, it would be either a management decision to merge the lists, or a item the union had to negotiate.

Many think (me included) that management has economic reasons to consolidate Compass and mainline. But if that is not the case, it might drag all the way out to Section 6 four or five years from now.

I think it is most likely Compass will be split from the MEC, which is the first step in packaging the entity up for a cancellation of the bridges that bind Delta and Compass together. The flow & job protections will be traded away for some trinket that supposedly benefits the entire pilot group.

This "combine compass" effort is hoped to educate pilots so they see that the greatest value to our pilot group is Compass itself, or in a word, "unity." If we decide that we may want to pursue a single list in the future, that answers the question whether we want to split Compass away now.

We have another door of opportunity that is closing. If (a big IF) the pilots at Delta (and Compass since they are represented by Delta) decide that one list is worth pursuing then it holds the door open for unity.

Last edited:
This is correct. No one has been offered the flowthrough so 100% of the seats are available.

Yup he is correct again. As of today 100% of the seats belong to DAL pilots.

This month the first 2 line pilots become eligible. We have a handful of managment pilots eligible already but they are probably going to stay put.

I'm XJ, We had a very good relationship with NWA MEC and would very much like that to continue with the DAL MEC. Time will tell.
Don't interpret "combine compass" as in any way excluding you, CMR, or any other group.

Compass has a representational question that needs to be answered in the very near term. A door of opportunity may be closing. If the door is held open for Compass, that sends a signal to other bargaining groups and enhances the relationships between bargaining groups.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back