Info About Air Wisconsin

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pipejockey

Could any AWAC pilots tell me about life there?

1.How long will a new-hire be on reserve.
2. When can someone get long reserve?
3. Where I can find pay rates and work rules. I checked airlinecontracts.com but all they had were 146 rates and it appeared not to be current.
4. Is commuting possible out of Allentown Pa. I heard AWAC was making lines that are harder to commute. What kind of seniority does an FO need to get 15 days off?

Any other info y'all think is interesting. And any other website where I could find info.

Thanks!

1) AWAC is just about done growing unless those extra 20 airplanes become reality. You could be on reserve for a while. Attrition seems to be about 5 to 6 pilots per month right now due to retirements and people going to pursue other airlines.

2) Long call reserve (36 hour callout) is only part of a "build up" line. You have to have enough seniority to hold a line in order to get a build up. Most of the build ups have very little Long call these days because they are made mostly of scheduled flying.

3) I'm not going to post our entire contract, but I'll be happy to answer any specific pay questions you have. 1st year pay is $22.32, 2nd year is 32.56 (RJ) and 38.23 (146). Get hired now and upgrade to RJ captain in your 3rd year and you will make around $58 per hour. Per diem is low... $1.40. We get 100% cancelation pay and deadhead pay, 150% for picking up open time, 1 hour of pay for every 2 hours of duty (16 hours of duty is 8 hours of guarenteed pay), 1 hour of pay for every 4 hours away from base (72 hour trip = 18 hours of pay guarenteed) and we get paid block or better (sit in the penalty box for 15 minutes and you get an extra 15 minutes of pay)

4) I would think Allentown would be an easy commute seeing as how we serve the place. Commuter policy requires 2 flights to get you to work 30 mins prior to your show. ORD is setup for commuters, ATL is getting better, ATW sucks for commuters, don't know about DEN. I'm ORD based and purchase a hotel 1 or 2 times a month (I'm pretty junior).

AWAC is a very pilot friendly place to work. I'm very happy and comfortable here, but I'm also on the top 1/2 of the seniority list. A brand new FO here could have a VERY long haul to upgrade on the RJ if there is no more growth (think Commair). The good news, as long as the Low Cost carriers keep hiring, people will keep leaving AWAC. Attrition may turn out to be the only way into the left seat. Don't want to scare you, but want you to know what you are getting into.

Keep the greasy side down.

I agree with J32driver on everything except for the commutability of ATL trips - they've been about the same (rather uncommutable) for about 8 months now.
This is because AirTran likes to overnight 3 of our airplanes in ATL - someone has to end a trip late and pick up a trip early for each of those airplanes.

Thanks for the info. My main concern is QOL, so if I have to wait even 4 years for an upgrade, I can deal with that. I think I would prefer AWAC over Mesa, Eagle, TSA, and some others out there.

pipejockey said:
so if I have to wait even 4 years for an upgrade, I can deal with that. I think I would prefer AWAC over Mesa, Eagle, TSA, and .

Snap-out -of-it, man....listen to what you're saying! 4 years is a loooong time to be an FO at a commuter. Skywest and Mesa are both hiring! Go West young man, go west!!!

Just a thought...if you're focus is upgrade time, Northwest Airlink is hiring now, and I believe upgrade time is in the 2 -3 year range. All they fly are CRJ's. I don't know what cummuting is like to Minneapolis or Detriot. I heard that Detroit is a much easier commute.

Northwest Airlink is probably not an airline that you would want to retire at, but if you're trying to get to the left seat for PIC time, they might be something to consider.

Just another thought. It matters not what the current upgrade time is at your time of being hired. I'm a 3 year FO at AirWis looking at another year to upgrade. When I was hired, it was about 9 months to a year to upgrade. So..... what's happening right now doesn't mean SQUAT!

S.

Beechnut said:
Just another thought. It matters not what the current upgrade time is at your time of being hired. I'm a 3 year FO at AirWis looking at another year to upgrade. When I was hired, it was about 9 months to a year to upgrade. So..... what's happening right now doesn't mean SQUAT!S.
That time frame could change if more UAL flying comes your way.

WhiteCloud said:
That time frame could change if more UAL flying comes your way.

I wish that they could count on that WC but the sad reality is that UAL has never been loyal to ANY express carrier!!!! Just ask any of the Westair crews!!! As I was bolting for the door from AWAC I was seeing mesa jets on our gates in Denver now they and Skywest are in Chicago pushing loyal to UAL AWAC further eastward with NO gaurantee of more growth beyond what's already on the property!!!! Now keep in mind that Beechnut was only one or two classes JR to me and he's looking at 4yrs to get a type!!! That says volumes doesn't it???

WD

I must be getting tired cause I swear the little pirate avatar is singing;

"Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum,
swaggering to the airbus, here I come!
Used to fly for Wisco and it was fun,
but now I'm basking in the sun.
Yo-ho-ho-ha-ha-haa-aaaa...arg matey!

Latest resources

Back