Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Indian Jet Plummets 7000' because co-pilot moved seat.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Grab some popcorn and be prepared to say WTFO!?! several times:

http://dgca.nic.in/accident/reports/incident/VT-AXJ.pdf

Holy crap... This airline should not be flying in US airspace. The CA comes back to find his airplane 23 degrees nose down and you criticize him for pulling too hard and "not following RVSM procedures" but give the FO a pass because he was not trained to do an upset recovery with the auto-pilot on! No ******************** he wasn't because the first step would be to turn the AP off!

Not to mention the FO had 1300 TT with 900 hours in 737s. You mean they have 400 hour pilots flying 737s!

You mean they have 400 hour pilots flying 737s!
Yes, it's routine around many parts of the world. And we've had plenty of 200-400 hour pilots hired in RJs in 2004-2008.

At least they recovered and everyone lived. Unlike our lowtime Gulfstream hero who stalled and killed everyone last year.

After flying for an Indian airline for two years, this sort of event doesn't even surprise me anymore. In fact I'm surprised that it doesn't happen more often. In India it is normal for a 200 hour pilots to be hired on a Boeing or Airbus. Air India even has 200 hour new hires on the 777. It is also very common for a 2000 hour FO to be upgraded to Captain on a 737/Airbus 320. Also most Indian Captains fly every leg and therefore the FO never gets any hands on experience. The company that I flew for in India had a policy against any raw data flying unless a training Captain was on board. Pilot training in India is a joke. Many of the FO's I flew with told me that it was common to log hours without flying. There is no instrument training as GA airplanes aren't allowed to do "practice approaches" in India. There is no Instrument check ride. Only requirement is to log 40 hours (20 sim/20 airplane) and then DGCA issues an Instrument rating. Many of the FO's I flew with got their Multi Engine ticket in the ATR simulator when doing their type rating. Inexperienced pilots, low training standards, and corruption make for a very unsafe environment in India and I expect that there will be more incidents like this one in the future.

Last edited:
After flying for an Indian airline for two years, this sort of event doesn't even surprise me anymore. In fact I'm surprised that it doesn't happen more often. In India it is normal for a 200 hour pilots to be hired on a Boeing or Airbus. Air India even has 200 hour new hires on the 777. It is also very common for a 2000 hour FO to be upgraded to Captain on a 737/Airbus 320. Also most Indian Captains fly every leg and therefore the FO never gets any hands on experience. The company that I flew for in India had a policy against any raw data flying unless a training Captain was on board. Pilot training in India is a joke. Many of the FO's I flew with told me that it was common to log hours without flying. There is no instrument training as GA airplanes aren't allowed to do "practice approaches" in India. There is no Instrument check ride. Only requirement is to log 40 hours (20 sim/20 airplane) and then DGCA issues an Instrument rating. Many of the FO's I flew with got their Multi Engine ticket in the ATR simulator when doing their type rating. Inexperienced pilots, low training standards, and corruption make for a very unsafe environment in India and I expect that there will be more incidents like this one in the future.

They're banking on technology to compensate for crap training.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back