Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Band Wagon

TonyC said:
I consider myself to be incredily lucky,...

You might just be lucky.

But I'm the incredibly lucky one.

Don't worry about whose airplane is doing what with whom. It's a big pea and shell game that was designed to be as confusing as hell to all the players.

You have to watch them very carefully and if you just joined the game you're probably lost already.

But like I said, don't worry. I always do the right thing.

Bad apple here...... Go ALPA! I can't wait until we get them on the property!

HAHA! The dreaded single-engine F15 landing! The book's standard procedure for any engine problem, at any weight, and any phase of flight, was "climb and investigate."

"Wow, catastophic right engine disintegration and fire at rotation! Better 'climb and investigate!' " ;)

TonyC said:
If they had allowed cameras... :)

Anyone with RC-135U, V and W! time coulda gotten a pic. Hey, even if you got caught, what would "they" do? Take your stock away? A Letter of Charges would've been your honor!:D

Then again I'd love have an avatar pic of Tony C., being hauled away by the Lamar Security Agency of Greater Memphis.....

Last edited:
Rez O. Lewshun said:
Anyone with RC-135U, V and W! time coulda gotten a pic. Hey, even if you got caught, what would "they" do? Take your stock away? A Letter of Charges would've been your honor!:D

Then again I'd love have an avatar pic of Tony C., being hauled away by the Lamar Security Agency of Greater Memphis.....
Well, yanno, ya gotta pick yer battles. If it had just been up to me, I woulda tried to sneak a click or two. But I was there as a part of a larger group trying our best to draw attention without doing anything wrong. No spitting on the sidewalk, no jaywalking, no setting an empty water bottle on the sidewalk (littering) even for a second. We took pains to ensure everything was above board.

We had to pass through metal detectors of the airport security checkpoint variety before we entered the Grand Ballroom. All them guys standing around talking into their fists and playing with their earpieces coulda made a sneaky guy sweat. :)

TonyC said:
. . .<snip>. . No spitting on the sidewalk, no jaywalking, no setting an empty water bottle on the sidewalk (littering) even for a second. We took pains to ensure everything was above board.
. . <snip>. . .
That's funny. After all of the scare talk on the bus, the only cop I saw was the one joking, BS-ing, and bumming waters from our guys. All the rest were driving by on their regular beat.
I think when you put our "rabble rousing" on the spectrum of crime here we just don't rate a second look from the constabulary. . .

TonyC said:
Well, yanno, ya gotta pick yer battles. If it had just been up to me, I woulda tried to sneak a click or two. But I was there as a part of a larger group trying our best to draw attention without doing anything wrong. No spitting on the sidewalk, no jaywalking, no setting an empty water bottle on the sidewalk (littering) even for a second. We took pains to ensure everything was above board.

We had to pass through metal detectors of the airport security checkpoint variety before we entered the Grand Ballroom. All them guys standing around talking into their fists and playing with their earpieces coulda made a sneaky guy sweat. :)

TonyC.,

Were pilot shareholders in the Ballroom in uniform....maybe even with hats?

Rez O.

klhoard said:
That's funny. After all of the scare talk on the bus, the only cop I saw was the one joking, BS-ing, and bumming waters from our guys. All the rest were driving by on their regular beat.
I think when you put our "rabble rousing" on the spectrum of crime here we just don't rate a second look from the constabulary. . .
I don't really consider it scare talk so much as a reminder to everyone to be on their best behavior. It's a standard "brief" given each time we peacefully assemble. We get a permit, and we follow the laws to a tee. (Cindy Sheehan could take a lesson.)

For instance, it would have been more comfortable to stand in the grass immediately adjacent to the sidewalk on Democrat, but that would be considered trespassing. While it's not common to arrest someone for standing on the grass next to a sidewalk, it would have made for an embarrassing photo to have FedEx pilots arrested for trespassing when FedEx security decided to take advantage of an opportunity.

When we conducted informational picketing at the World Headquarters, the sidewalk was very small, and the security contingent was considerable. I understand that some members of the security force are deputized. When one of the local television outlets set up a camera a short distance from the curb in order to interview the MEC Chairman on camera, security immediately approached him and had him move the camera. I believe the would have been delighted to get a pilot littering, or spitting, or trespassing. Mind you, I'm less concerned about Memphis Police or Shelby County Sheriffs than I am about Fred's Mafia.

I've heard the spiel three times now, and I anticipate hearing it again. :) As long as we maintain the high road, we have nothing to worry about.

:)

Latest resources

Back