Incident shows why FedEx pilots should make $250K

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mar said:
I get it. There's no need to be subtle. You think I'm just chompin' at the bit to cross a Polar picket line.

I guess you don't realize I have friends at Polar. Who could fault you?

Things at Atlas are fine. I don't understand why you're "rooting" for us. The Polar guys are really the ones who need everyone's support.

Good luck with your ALPA deal. I hope everything works out.
You don't expect me to give you a hug when you slam FedEx, do ya?

I'm sorry that you don't understand why we're rooting for you. We've been rooting for the pilots at Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings all along, and that includes the pilots at Atlas Air, Inc. and Polar Air Cargo, Inc. The pilots of Polar are clearly in self-help, and we obviously root for them. The pilots of Atlas are in a more complicated situation and difficult position, not being released to self-help, but being so closely tied to the pilots of Polar and the outcome of their contract negotiations. If ever there were a classic opportunity to whipsaw two employee groups, your company is it. We've been rooting for the pilots of Atlas Air, Inc. to do the right thing with respect to their fellow employees of AAWH, Inc. and fellow ALPA brethren. Now that the Atlas MEC has taken steps to affirm that Atlas pilots will not cross Polar picket lines, we continue to root for the pilots of Polar and Atlas.

Why? Since I'm not a pilot for either company, why do I care? I care because it's my industry, and what happens to you and your friends at Polar will have a direct impact on my career. Like it or not, acknowledge it or not, we are ALL in this together. If you fall flat on your faces, it will have a negative impact in the negotiating sessions at FedEx. And if you stand up for what is right, we will benefit from your fight.

Now, what is it you have against FedEx? :)

Dam this medium.

Look Tony. This thread was started in a fairly sarcastic vein. I was merely playing along to a certain extent.

I do have have a fairly pronounced bias against smugness which I perceive to be endemic to the FedEx group of freight dogs.

Formerly, the Kings of Smug were United but recently they've been brought to their knees and are a wee more humble these days.

With respect to the Atlas/Polar situation: I don't think this is the forum (or even the proper medium to seriously discuss what's happening).

I will say this: I was hired to fly Atlas aircraft and the company has asked nothing more of me.

I suppose I should thank you for your support but as far as I'm concerned it's a bit misplaced. As everyone agrees, it's Polar that deserves the support--exclusively.

Just a personal opinion, but I don't believe there will be any whipsaw. That's just union rhetoric.

And speaking of rhetoric, one really needs to filter the noise coming from AAWWH in order to understand what's happened with Polar.

Call me naive if you must but I've never been one to jump on the band wagon.

:D What about the folks at Southwest? You pulling for us, too?

SWA/FO said:
Yes, believe it or not we're pulling for everyone out there. . . .

Kmtc

MAGNUM!! said:
About a month ago, Foxnews showed a live "emergency landing" of an F-15E at STL. Dude had a low oil pressure light or something like that in ONE of his TWO 35K lb thrust engines. Quite uneventful. Media coverage of "all things potentially disastrous that would make good TV" is getting waaaaay outta hand.

That jars a memory --- of all the F-4 emergency landings at KMTC - one
engine landings. Never made the news but we had at least two
"emergency" landings a weekend, every weekend. Emergency crews
rolling, SAR guard helo turning on the pad... never eventful (thank God).

SWA/FO said:
Maybe FedEx needs to save some money because of the 3 hull losses in the last 6 years or so.

SWA/FO said:
"strong" and ALPA used in the same sentence? Now that weird!

SWA/FO said:

Yepp, even the pilots at Southwest. We don't hold it against them for having a bad apple or two amongst them - - all of our groups have a few.

mar said:
Look Tony. This thread was started in a fairly sarcastic vein. I was merely playing along to a certain extent.
If your first post was meant to be sarcasm, I apologize for not catching the tone. You know that the day you decide to come on over to Big Purple, all ya gotta do is say the word and I'll be in the chief pilot's office braggin' aboutcha! :)

mar said:
I do have have a fairly pronounced bias against smugness which I perceive to be endemic to the FedEx group of freight dogs.

Formerly, the Kings of Smug were United but recently they've been brought to their knees and are a wee more humble these days.
I consider myself to be incredibly lucky, and I believe that the vast majority of my peers feel the same. There are a few posters who I believe to NOT be FedEx pilots that pose as such and provide flamebait (and cheap entertainment) on this board. I apologize for any smugness that you have perceived either from myself or from my peers. We realize that we are in no way immune from troubles that have beset other airlines and will continue to challenge us for as many years to come as we might pursue this career.

mar said:
With respect to the Atlas/Polar situation: I don't think this is the forum (or even the proper medium to seriously discuss what's happening).

I will say this: I was hired to fly Atlas aircraft and the company has asked nothing more of me.

I suppose I should thank you for your support but as far as I'm concerned it's a bit misplaced. As everyone agrees, it's Polar that deserves the support--exclusively.
As long as Atlas only asks you to fly Atlas freight on that Atlas airplane (and by the way, which airplanes, exactly, are Atlas airplanes? Do the ones that Polar had until a few weeks ago count?) ... as long as Atlas only asks you to fly Atlas freight on Atlas airplanes, and as long as you can do that without crossing a Polar picket line, I guess your life will be pretty easy. I hope it works out that way for you.

mar said:
Just a personal opinion, but I don't believe there will be any whipsaw. That's just union rhetoric.

And speaking of rhetoric, one really needs to filter the noise coming from AAWWH in order to understand what's happened with Polar.

Call me naive if you must but I've never been one to jump on the band wagon.
OK, you're naive.

:)

Last edited:
MAGNUM!! said:
Were any questions asked of Mr Smith at the shareholder's meeting? What are those things like, anyway?
It was actually pretty boring. It seemed like a mere formality to satisfy the SEC, as almost every word was scripted, and every vote was pre-counted. The brief meeting was followed by Mr. Smith's prepared remarks (the "FedEx is doing great" speech) and a couple of questions from the peanut gallery. He essentially dodged them both, and then some guy that drove through a driving rain from Shreveport took the microphone to tell Mr. Smith what a great company he thought we have.

He's right. We just need to fix a few things.

Latest resources

Back