back up the last time. "Brick" huh...
interesting...What were they talking
about?

Didn't see anything wierd on the FDR
stuff. Everything looked pretty much
like it quit all at once...including the
FDR for a while...pretty tough to read
on a small screen though.

Some very interesting comments here. Today was my first reading of the full CVR transcript......tough to stomach, particularly since I feed my family flying a CRJ these days.

I hope we can move on from the "dude" topic. Yeah, it's a bit disturbing to read, but I think it detracts from looking at the real cause of this accident. Safe pilots are found all over the map and from all walks of life! There are pilots I know who've never uttered the word "dude" or any other surf jargon who I wouldn't let my family ride with.

I think the most telling language used on that CVR was "four one oh, my man" and "made it, man"

This childish obsession with flying a few thousand feet higher than we normally fly the CRJ was what killed these young aviators. What would have been wrong with flying, say, FL350 that evening? To me, the earth looks about the same from FL310 on up, and who cares?!?!

As someone alluded to, the first few high altitude scares one has should leave a permanent mark on one's judgement and flying habits. It's tragic that for these guys, that first scare cost them their lives. There really is no substitute for experience, and how you gain that experience has been the subject of much debate. What's really unfortunate is that airlines don't seem to value, nor do they want to pay for, truely experienced pilots anymore. Seems to me whoever will hire on and fly cheaply is their top candidate, these days.

The CRJ is my fifth jet, and the second smallest one I've flown. I knew the first time I flew it over FL350 that there wasn't much more in it. Why anyone gets a thrill from mushing through the thin air, at M.64, with the nose pointed skyward, I'll never know. I've heard there are guys like that at my airline, though, even post-Pinnacle . And there are probably more of them out there.

Y'all take care.

I wonder how many RJ shaker and stall events (revenue flights during climb) happen each year that go unreported.. I know at my airline (soon to be previous airline) we've had at least 1 shaker and 1 pusher incident in the last 6-8 months.

The problem isn't limited to these two guys and is much more wide spread than most want to admit.

chperplt said:
I wonder how many RJ shaker and stall events (revenue flights during climb) happen each year that go unreported.. I know at my airline (soon to be previous airline) we've had at least 1 shaker and 1 pusher incident in the last 6-8 months.

This was discussed soon after the accident, but I've forgotten the answer. Here goes again. What type of climb mode does the CRJ A/P use? Do you climb in V/S, or A/S -Mach?

If you climb in V/S,.............. why?

enigma

BeCareful! said:
. There really is no substitute for experience, and how you gain that experience has been the subject of much debate. What's really unfortunate is that airlines don't seem to value, nor do they want to pay for, truely experienced pilots anymore. Seems to me whoever will hire on and fly cheaply is their top candidate, these days.

BeCareful, Good Post. I would like to add that while experience can't be gained outside of itself, knowledge can be gained without actually experiencing something. This topic is a great example. The knowledge of high altitude swept wing aerodynamics is readily available. A new jet pilot should be able to gain that knowledge through training and or self study. My original jet was a Lear35. I was FSI trained, but high speed stuff wasn't really emphasised, so I read up on my own. Knowing that speed is life, and that jets need to be flown by the book is such basic info that it pains me to think that someone would climb into one with out having that knowledge.

enigma

enigma said:
This was discussed soon after the accident, but I've forgotten the answer. Here goes again. What type of climb mode does the CRJ A/P use? Do you climb in V/S, or A/S -Mach?

If you climb in V/S,.............. why?

enigma

Don't know what procedures the other regionals have, but Pinnacle doesn't really require any certain mode to be used. Most of the pilots climb in VS mode above 10k because they think the speed mode isn't smooth enough. Personally, I always fly in IAS/MACH Climb mode. If you turn on Turbulence mode along with speed mode then it dampens the pitch oscillations and makes it pretty smooth.

We (CMR) do not have any specific procedure.. We do however have minimim climb speeds. I fly in VS mode because the bird doesn't do very will in IAS mode and will make you sick....plus I don't like watching the VS drop down to 0 (I mean 50 feet) per minute over and over again.

The problem is not flying in VS mode.. Don't break open the newspaper during the climb and cover up the instruments.. The problem is that people don't understand high alt aero and or how to read climb charts.

vocabulary

TonyC said:
EDIT - - Guess I shoulda scrolled down a coupla posts before I answered, huh? My bad.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
You cannot choose for the most part your young looks, blond hair and small size. You shouldn't have to change the color of your hair, which is part of your identity.

However, you can choose how you act, dress, behave and communicate.

You can choose not to say cool words of the pop culture elite when functioning in the professional world. Words like...

Like.
Whatever.
Totally.
Awesome.
Dude.
My bad. (heard by an AA pilot today in STL) :eek:
Yo.
Yo Yo.
Yo Yo Yo
Peace Out.
Check it.
'Sup

I'm sure I'm missing alot and way behind the times as I no longer watch MTV.

Interesting.

This was brought to my attention this morning. Has anyone else noted that the speedbrakes/flight spoilers were deployed at some point early in the descent and remain deployed until impact?

This is illustrated on Plot 11 of the FDR data. Initially it may seem as though only the green line (right flight spoiler) is traced but there is a small trace of red at the point of deployment and I believe that the green line simply overlays the red one.

My question is would/could they have been delpoyed while in manual reversion or is the plot showing a selected position?

TIS

Has anyone else noted that the speedbrakes/flight spoilers were deployed at some point early in the descent and remain deployed until impact?

I beleive I read in an earlier post that the spoilers PARTIALLY deployed because of the loss of hydraulics associated with the dual engine flameout.

Johnny

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back