Impending Pilot shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gofish said:
Hey 81 horse. Your avitar looks vaguely familiar. Is that from Kubrick's 2001 a space oddesy? Ok...now we all know I am a sci fi geek...just had to ask.

Yes, it is from 2001. Knowing this = geek, which would make me ... ?

Impending pilot shortage?

That phrase reminds me of another one I saw long ago on a sign in front of a bar in Florida: "FREE BEER TOMORROW!"

The stories in industry journals about a shortage of pilots have been around longer than the ones in Popular Science(tm) about flying cars, and with the same degree of realism.

AirBadger said:
All the grumpy old farts on this board who despise anyone who has an interest in being a professional pilot, I bet that when you were all young and starry eyed you wouldn't have let a grumpy old guy convince you to drop the idea of a career being a pilot. You may regret it these days, but I'll bet a years supply of adult diapers you wouldn't have cared what anyone else said when you first started out.
What you talkin bout Willis? I was a grumpy old fart when I took my first lesson at a 141 school.

I knew when I left the factory at 32, that the world would be my oyster if could find a job that was fun, paid as much as a UPIU paperworker made and didn't have me working the back side of the clock or "Southern Swing Shift".

Just promise this grumpy old fart, one thing. If you commit 150,000.00 USD into flying, get into the regionals and make it to the LCC's, don't come on here pi$$ing and moaning five years from now about:

Pay for training people stealing food off your table.

Geaux-jets stealing food off your table.

Brand-x stealing food off your table.

Mainline stealing it's food back off your table.

Highspeeds, illegals, continious duty overnights making you tired.

Problems with commuting.

TSA workers probing you everytime you go to work.

Who was smug and self assured or an ass in the crew van.

Crappy hotels with murders and car jackings in the parking lots.

Ugly, overweight, old, flight attendants.

Captains that won't let you do your own thing.

Guys who wear combat boots instead of whatever.

People who pick on you for wearing a back pack.

Pepole who wear back packs.

Captains that have bad breath.

Having to do all the paperwork and preflights.

Low pay.

No chance for an upgrade.

Flow backs.

No flow through.

Whatever...

Airline pilot shortage?

Sign me up!...I'd love to be one. With such a shortage, they can afford to take lousy pilots like me.

airgunner23 said:
Yes, the "flight attendant" is picking up a pen floating in space from a passenger. She puts it back into his vest pocket... Guess I'm a geek, too...

thread hijacking in progress...

Yep and the ship they were on was called an Orion with a PAN-AM logo....nice glass cockpit too for a film made in 1968...

I'm a big Kubrick fan...think it's time to fire up the ole "Clockwork Orange" and head down to the corova milk bar for a little "in-out-in-out"....

back to our original programming...

Last edited:
I agree with most of the posts here. There will never be a pilot shortage as long as there are idiot pilots around who will fly for nothing, and idiot owners/department managers/chief pilots who will let them. I was in BHM several years ago and this lineguy walked up to me. He told me he had a commercial-multi-instrument and he would fly with me for free, just to get the time. I almost hit him. I got him away from everybody else and told him if he wanted to fly with somebody who didn't need a co-pilot for free, that was fine. If they needed a co-pilot and he didn't charge for it he was screwing me, himself and everybody else who was trying to make a living aviation.

On the other side of it, I interviewed for a job flying a Citation several years ago. The job should have paid in the neighborhood of $60,000. When the subject of pay and benefits came up, the guy told me he was willing to go as high as $25,000, and he wanted me to work in his retail store when I wasn't flying. I asked if it was OK if I took out a life insurance policy on him if he managed to find anyone who would fly for him. Then got up and left. I found out later he had a guy who was retired flying for him back then. The idiot pilot was charging $150 per day. It was the owners first airplane and he didn't know any better. Needless to say, the idiot pilot and the owner are still together.

I have spoken. I'm dizzy now. I think I'll sit down.

FN FAL said:
Guys who wear combat boots instead of whatever.

:cool: I happen to like my Steel Toe Cats. I just can't get use to foo-foo
shiny shoes.

:p

as for the rest of your list....they make me go :puke:

CE

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back