Impending Pilot shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AirBadger said:
All the grumpy old farts on this board who despise anyone who has an interest in being a professional pilot, I bet that when you were all young and starry eyed you wouldn't have let a grumpy old guy convince you to drop the idea of a career being a pilot.

Well back then it was worth the time and $$ to become a professional, nowadays.....nah!!!!

House_X said:
Yep and the ship they were on was called an Orion with a PAN-AM logo....nice glass cockpit too for a film made in 1968...

IMHO, no CG effects film of recent vintage even comes close. Kubrick was a genius. The docking sequence, set to Strauss's Blue Danube Waltz, was worth the price of admission by itself. It has to be seen on the big screen though.

On topic: FN FAL, you left the windbreaker off your list.

Just curious Fly...what were you 2000 hours ago?

W

FlyFlyFly said:
And all these regional airline whizzes wonder why we don't want them anywhere but where they are...

81Horse said:
IMHO, no CG effects film of recent vintage even comes close. Kubrick was a genius. The docking sequence, set to Strauss's Blue Danube Waltz, was worth the price of admission by itself. It has to be seen on the big screen though.

On topic: FN FAL, you left the windbreaker off your list.

Windbreakers, leather jackets, spandex space pilot uniforms, CFI's wearing pilot shirts, Ray-Bans v. Oakley-doaklies, mp-3 players, Virginia, any state beginning and ending with a vowel or Missouri.

FN FAL said:
Windbreakers, leather jackets, spandex space pilot uniforms, CFI's wearing pilot shirts, Ray-Bans v. Oakley-doaklies, mp-3 players, Virginia, any state beginning and ending with a vowel or Missouri.
It's MISERY. An aviation wasteland.

BenderGonzales said:
Does that mean we shouldn't try to warn you?

No, in fact I very much appreciate it. I almost got sucked into going to a crappy, very expensive school and thanks to people that have been there, done that, I changed my mind and am now at much better local state technical college. I consider myself to be a lot better versed in the industry than my peers because I have done the research. All I'm saying is no matter how much older pilots whine, there are going to be a lot of people like me who have wanted to fly since the day they were born.

AirBadger said:
No, in fact I very much appreciate it. I almost got sucked into going to a crappy, very expensive school and thanks to people that have been there, done that, I changed my mind and am now at much better local state technical college. I consider myself to be a lot better versed in the industry than my peers because I have done the research. All I'm saying is no matter how much older pilots whine, there are going to be a lot of people like me who have wanted to fly since the day they were born.

What he said. Also, go easy on us CFIs that have to wear the pilot uniform. Sometimes we have no choice unless we pack up and leave town (well, at least that's my situation.) Never said I like wearing it. I like the uniform o.k. but I'd much rather make more than 10-15k a year for wearing it......and not wear it in a 172 everyday! My least favorite part of a lesson: student asks "BTW what do the 3 stripes on your shoulder mean?"
I respond..."It means I'm your first officer now shutup and fly the plane!":laugh:

After 500 dual given I'm gonna get upgraded to captain!:D

CFI uniforms suck. If someone asks who you fly for, aren't you embarrased to say noone?

But i guess it makes one feel more professional and legitamizes the high rates a student pays to the school.

Do you work for one of the pilot factories or a mom and pop operation?

By the way, you mention that you wear a pilots uniform as a CFI in several of your posts, and no one was even discussing it here. Do you do the same with peoplke you meet in person?

Last edited:
I had to wear those stupid uni's Student through CFI!! We had to buy blue shirts. You got 1 stripe for Private, 2 for instrument, 3 for commercial and then 3 and 4 for CFI's but you had the privelage of wearing a white shirt. There excuse was that it prepares you for the professional world and that they have VIPs coming through and want to look our best. How queer is that? Im out now and I dress like a bum. Thanks college!

There's a greater bartending shortage.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back