Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Impact of Delta Selling Regionals on Flow-through & Flow-back?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok Lear,

I hear you. Was it in the Compass contract to have flow-thru? (Im asking?) Unilaterally, that cannot be changed just because they are not wholly owned. There will be lawsuits that's for sure.

Some people need a BIG time reality check. When I came to Delta, I was making more as an F/O than some of our Captain's today. Things change, to say that these talented airmen went to an airline because of a promise to be hired by Delta is an outright lie or the people involved need a real head check.

They can always use the PIC time they have logged and get a job by filling out an APP! "What? You mean I have to interview too?? Awww, damn....man, becoming a mainline Pilot is hard!!!"

Again, nothing in stone about NOT flowing these guys thru, so let's wait and see. And as a sidenote, DALPA shouldn't lift a finger in negotiating capital to guarantee a flow-through for the subsidiaries that benefitted HUGE from our cutting flying. The only reason there was jobs there was because we loosened the scope. Period, end of story.

Rant over
Hey BL, sounds like it is time for some more fiber there, buddy!

Ok Lear,

I hear you. Was it in the Compass contract to have flow-thru? (Im asking?) Unilaterally, that cannot be changed just because they are not wholly owned. There will be lawsuits that's for sure.
Actually, I believe it *IS* in the Compass contract. However, there's some trigger language in the event of a sale which *might* be read as a way to void the agreement (at least that's what I'm hearing). We'll just have to wait and watch it play out...

Some people need a BIG time reality check. When I came to Delta, I was making more as an F/O than some of our Captain's today. Things change, to say that these talented airmen went to an airline because of a promise to be hired by Delta is an outright lie or the people involved need a real head check.
Ummm, calling people a liar is a bit harsh, don't you think? Here's a tidbit for you: when I got caught up in all my AirTran crap, I applied all over the place, but the ONLY Regional I applied to? Compass, for two reasons: relatively (at the time) quick upgrades, and the flow-through.

When making a choice of employers, people may very well use that as a reason to choose one over the other, just like you might choose one that has a faster upgrade track at the time (although that's not contractual and could easily fall through), or one that pays during training or at least puts you up and pays per diem, many things that may be contractual in nature that you expect to happen when you sign on.

To say that one requires "a real head check" while another item does not seems a bit selective. Look, I know you're AT mainline Delta and, therefore, not fond of the flow-through. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but don't fault the people who chose their employer based on that contractual flow-through. There's no reason to bash the people when it's the flow-through POLICY you don't like...

Just a thought.

Again, nothing in stone about NOT flowing these guys thru, so let's wait and see. And as a sidenote, DALPA shouldn't lift a finger in negotiating capital to guarantee a flow-through for the subsidiaries that benefitted HUGE from our cutting flying. The only reason there was jobs there was because we loosened the scope. Period, end of story.

Rant over
No argument about the loss of Scope; that's been one of my biggest soap boxes since I got involved in ALPA.

However, I don't foresee DALPA doing anything about this issue, primarily because I believe the majority of DALPA pilots feel the same way you do about flow-throughs without interviews. I just feel badly for the pilots who got furloughed from good jobs, took the least crappy of a Regional job, then get the carpet yanked out from under them AGAIN.

Hope it doesn't play out that way...

sure. 76 seats and below can be outsourced. If we had put Compass on our list, Delta would have just shifted that flying to another regional.
True the company could have done that but if DL wanted more 76 seaters or say new 90-110 seaters they then would have had an airframe and typed pilots.
I had heard the Compass operation was loosing money flying the Canadian stuff anyway so maybe it is not such a profitable airframe. Same seats as the CR9 and 10,000# heavier, (I know much more comfy inside). Anyways, guess it's water under the bridge.

I just feel badly for the pilots who got furloughed from good jobs, took the least crappy of a Regional job, then get the carpet yanked out from under them AGAIN.
Least crappy? Not so sure about that. I have heard many at the regionals say that cpz is at or near the top of the crap heap in many regards (pay, work rules, etc.) especially when flying major airline equipment. People faulted other for going to mesa for the same reasons. It seems they sold their souls to the devil for a chance at the golden ticket which is now tarnished.

Least crappy? Not so sure about that. I have heard many at the regionals say that cpz is at or near the top of the crap heap in many regards (pay, work rules, etc.) especially when flying major airline equipment. People faulted other for going to mesa for the same reasons. It seems they sold their souls to the devil for a chance at the golden ticket which is now tarnished.

So, why doesn't Delta staple Comair to the bottom of the pilot list? I went to CMR to not sell my soul to the cheapest bidder; so why not in source us? I know our MEC's have some bad blood (most likely because of our MEC), but things have changed.

I've been at Comair for 4 years and don't plan to know everything that happened during the strike or when delta was furloughing, however, I believe it is in our best interests to get more jobs and airframes to mainline, and save Comair pilots' jobs.

Actually, I believe it *IS* in the Compass contract. However, there's some trigger language in the event of a sale which *might* be read as a way to void the agreement (at least that's what I'm hearing). We'll just have to wait and watch it play out...

Ummm, calling people a liar is a bit harsh, don't you think? Here's a tidbit for you: when I got caught up in all my AirTran crap, I applied all over the place, but the ONLY Regional I applied to? Compass, for two reasons: relatively (at the time) quick upgrades, and the flow-through.

When making a choice of employers, people may very well use that as a reason to choose one over the other, just like you might choose one that has a faster upgrade track at the time (although that's not contractual and could easily fall through), or one that pays during training or at least puts you up and pays per diem, many things that may be contractual in nature that you expect to happen when you sign on.

To say that one requires "a real head check" while another item does not seems a bit selective. Look, I know you're AT mainline Delta and, therefore, not fond of the flow-through. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but don't fault the people who chose their employer based on that contractual flow-through. There's no reason to bash the people when it's the flow-through POLICY you don't like...

Just a thought.

No argument about the loss of Scope; that's been one of my biggest soap boxes since I got involved in ALPA.

However, I don't foresee DALPA doing anything about this issue, primarily because I believe the majority of DALPA pilots feel the same way you do about flow-throughs without interviews. I just feel badly for the pilots who got furloughed from good jobs, took the least crappy of a Regional job, then get the carpet yanked out from under them AGAIN.

Hope it doesn't play out that way...

Lear,

You are right....Liar is wrong words...... Misled career planning is where I was going.

You got me wrong about the flow-thru. I am ALL FOR IT!! I say again, ALL FOR IT!!

I think if these pilots were fine yesterday to fly Delta ticketed people around then they should be fine to hire on here today. Growth to the bottom of our list is personally good by me.

What I am entirely against is the whining and crying about this deal by the flow-thru regional pilots. When Delta was rumoring about furloughing, ALL we heard here and in private circles was how "we are gonna get screwed", as if this flow-BACK wasn't explained or described to them when they applied. Now, we hear the latest about empty promises and how DALPA, where I drop my dues money, should spend money and political capital defending these same pilots. Forget it........I'm tired of the whining by some pilots who think the only way to a major cockpit is by a flow-thru.....

Straight from our DELTA pilot contract.....You are welcome!!

"If the provisions of the flow agreements (NWA LOA 2006-10 and LOA 2006-14) stop , there is an immediate snap back of 76 seaters to 85.The current limit is 153."

Mesaba does not have this clause and any sale voided the flow, but the agreement can be readdressed as a result of the sale. There is no way they are going to park 90 airplanes just because of a flow through agreement. So all the crybabies on here who singled out the Delta Pilots as not doing anything to help them, better do your research next time before you post.

You know... Northwest HR told me to leave ASA and go to Compass; they said that would be the fastest way to get to Northwest (now Delta). Assuming the flow through is terminated... Boy, was that guy wrong!

The deal was real simple. If Compass/Mesaba pilots agreed to be furlough fodder they would get to flow up when hiring resumes. No amount of splitting hairs and contractual wordplay will change that.

This flow through means nothing to you guys. It doesn't affect your seniority, career expectations or paycheck in any way at all. I can't for the life of me understand why some of you are against it. Are you really going to screw a guy out of a chance to land a major airline job just because he didn't interview the same way you did? Is it really all just about ego?

If you want to change the agreement grandfather in the pilots currently at Compass/Mesaba and then close the door, but don't screw the guys that upheld their end of the deal by putting themselves at risk. It's just not right.

Caveman?? Screw the guys?? Uphold what deal?? It's not my fight.....there you go making your problems mine.

Honestly....I'm not sure where you think we at Delta hate the flowthru. We never really tal about it. It's just not that important to my daily life there. It sounds like the pilots who are at the regionals are hung on its every word and it takes up every conversation.

Latest resources

Back