Im Tired Of Fuel Prices

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

It's not Bush's fault, or Clinton's, or any specific president.

It is the fault of ALL polititicians collectively, and therefore, OUR fault, as we vote for them.

A friend of mine who is a staunch Republican and conservative, recently asked a rhetorical question.

When we experienced the Arab oil embargo in the early '70's, why didn't we do anything to wean ourselves off of oil, at least enough so we didn't need to buy ANY Arab oil?

It's an excellent question, and one I wouldn't expect from a conservative. We've had already 30 years since our wakeup call, and done nothing.

I just read about a book that said all changes in energy, from wood-coal, etc. aren't done until a major catastrophe or disruptions occurs.

So, I guess all my attempts to try and get us off of our oil addiction are worthless. When some major problem occurs, and our lives are severely disrupted, then we will quit using oil as a transportation fuel. I hope no one in my family dies as a result of the situation.

Maybe I'm too cynical, and we will soon realize that our oil age is over and take action to replace oil. I'm not holding my breath.

Cliff
MCI

It's the fault of politicians in bed with the oil companies. Why can't the US get ethanol out of plants like in Brazil? There is plenty of farmland being made inactive (with government subsidies). The oil companies have too much influence in DC, a lot of politicians own (or have owned) oil related businesses or stocks in these businesses.

Why is it that trucks and suv's have less stringent fuel burn and emission regulations than cars? Not because it is not technically feasible. Ever been outside the country and you see all those diesel powered vans and pick ups? Oh yeah, the engines are quite a lot smaller, burn a lot less fuel but don't burn rubber at the stoplight.

I always have to laugh when I see 5ft tall people weighing 300lbs having trouble climbing into the suv after putting $60,- or more into the tank, knowing they only have that thing because the neighbor has one, but they can't really afford it.

Let the price go up another dollar or 2 and get the suv's and pick-up trucks (=urbanized farm equipment) of the roads.

furloughfodder said:
Speaking of high gas prices:

What is our genius President Dubbya doing to get this under check? He is practically in bed with the Crown Prince of Saudi and we are paying over $2.20 at the pumps?

Not to mention how this is killing all of us in the airline industry…

Well he did propose expanded drilling but the Dems and a few Repubs shot it down. As long as we dont conserve/expand our own oil production, there isnt anything we can do against OPEC.

Its usually those complaining the loudest about gas prices, are the ones who also are against more drilling.

Eventually, those areas will be drilled. People are way too lazy to walk and bike, when there is still some oil that can be extracted. And if it the price gets much higher, people will be demanding it be drilled.

Frankly, we should start now, while we can still take it slow and make sure it is done right, rather than if it is hastily done when the oil was needed yesterday.

While environmental groups are against drilling because it is the petroleum industry, and love to counter with posters of cute animals, when is the last time those groups tried to stop construction of new malls or Gap/Old Navy stores?

414Flyer said:

While environmental groups are against drilling because it is the petroleum industry, and love to counter with posters of cute animals, when is the last time those groups tried to stop construction of new malls or Gap/Old Navy stores?

Seems like a weekly episode down in Austin...

Hi!

I read recently that Bush's Long Term plan is to drill more wells.

I'm so excited! It's such a great long-term plan!

JHChrist! If U drill a hole in granite, guess how much oil U get out of it? None!

The peak worldwide oil discovery year was 1964! There is, practically speaking, no more oil. We have awesome tools now to discover new oil, and we haven't been able to.

Sure, we could drill out Alaska. That will give us about 6 months worth of oil. And, if we did, all that oil will actually go to Asia, as it's cheaper to send that oil to Asia than to import oil from other sources for the 48 states.

Drilling more doesn't create more oil.

The ONLY place with a lot of oil left is Saudi, and with China, and soon India's explosive growth in oil consumption, it won't matter how much oil Saudi has, because it won't be enough.

The peak oil production year will be between approximately 2005-2012. After that, oil prices will rise dramatically. Are we ready for an explosive rise in oil prices in the next year or so?

Of course not!

We have to spend billions of dollars now to conserve and to create alternative sources of energy that can economically replace oil. The sooner we do it, the cheaper it will be, and the less our lives will be disrupted.

Do we want to be beholdon to Arab oil for decades? I think not. I think we should develop the energy resources that we have so that we can rely on ourselves, and spend money here in America on American jobs.

Cliff
MCN

Latest resources

Back