I'm The Guy You're Talking Junk About!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FN FAL said:
I'll vote for that :D and no, you can't have my red swingline stapler.

Give it to me or I will burn the place down.

Yep, I knew Avbug. In fact, he mentioned an interaction we had once here on Flightinfo. Funny thing was, when I figured it out, I sent him a PM, and he never replied.

I used to talk with him before he departed (we had different jobs), and enjoyed talking with someone who liked avaition, and just wasn't bitter about work.

One thing got me though, he told a story I swear I had read once in an aviation rag. Not that he wasn't the author, but it's possible he was relating a story he had read years ago, and thought he wouldn't be caught. I've always had my eye out for that story since....

Hey Avbug, any progress beyond the tail kit? Mine arrived a few weeks ago...

Lilah

PS. I do think there is some value to anonymous posting, and will respect his obvious desire not to be called out..

Last edited:
bigD said:
For example, any time I see a chick in a pilot's uniform get out of a CJ, I wonder if it's English.

Hey! You outed me!

;)

Of course it was easy to figure out who you are, we even gave out the tail # N888BW. What ever happened with that phone call?

Goose Egg said:
I have disclosed my identity to several of my coworkers. It's not like it's a big secret or something. It doesn't bother me to have other people know who I am.

Exactly. Most people I have worked with over the last couple of years know who I am on here... And another guy I just worked with figgered out that I was on here because my PC's wallpaper is the same as my old avatar.

I even managed to get back in touch with an old college buddy when he read a bunch of my posts and decided that it just HAD to be me (even though he had no idea what I'd been up to, where I worked, etc.)... Sent me a PM and that's how we got to play catch-up after 5 or 6 years.

I'd like to know about that story myself...and what it is I'm supposed to have plagerized.

While the nature of the login isn't a big deal, anonymity and separation from the board certainly can be. Most posters are great people, but over the years I've certainly come across a few that weren't. On three occasions now I've received some nasty threats from folks on different web boards...folks who apparently couldn't distinguish between the web board and their personal lives...or mine.

I know of a few other posters on different boards who have had a fanatic or two call them or email them with personal information. Sort of a "we know where you live" proposition, but with more information. People who are content to communicate through the web board, fine. But it's gone far enough to notify law enforcement, employers, and on one occasion, add security measures I don't normally take, to placate family members.

The login itself isn't a big deal, and if someone ties me to my login on the road, who really cares? But the reverse has also been true, and somewhere in there, I draw a very firm line.

Im not a computer expert or anything, but can a Member on here be tracked down by their computers' IP address? I've heard of investigaters being able to locate where a users compter is located at and who ownes it, similar to how investigaters caught the BTK killer in Wichita.

Midnight Flyer said:
Im not a computer expert or anything, but can a Member on here be tracked down by their computers' IP address? I've heard of investigaters being able to locate where a users compter is located at and who ownes it, similar to how investigaters caught the BTK killer in Wichita.

The best you can do on your own with someones IP is trace route it to see what ISP they are on. If it was a local small ISP you could figure out what town they are in, but thats about it.

To track down who the person is the ISP would have to be subpoenaed for the records.

Actually, no. Individual identities can be easily determined over the internet, without a subpoena.

Latest resources

Back