• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I'm Standard

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have found that when a CA says that he is standard, that is code for "you fly precisely by the book and I'll do whatever I darn well please." I had a few CA's like this over the years and they get really hot when you point out to them that they are being unstandard and therefore unsafe. Especially when they are LCA's.;)

It makes the trip more fun when you try to "out book the standard CA."

I am also proud to say that after becoming a CA, I let the FO's do their jobs.

i think the "I'm standard" speech simply applies to meeting a newbie fo in your cockpit and maybe you're a recent upgrade. since you both have had recent training events, it is certainly a way of saying" let's do this the way we were trained. so many older captains do things in checklist usage that are nonstandard. it should make a fresh off IOE fo feel more at ease.

The best captain breif I have ever had said to me was, "You're young and good looking and I'm old and rich. At the restaurant tonight, you bring the ladies in and I'll buy the beer."

The best captain breif I have ever had said to me was, "You're young and good looking and I'm old and rich. At the restaurant tonight, you bring the ladies in and I'll buy the beer."

Hats off the all the captains who have bought the beer on the overnights!

My favorite brief is "The only reason i am the capt is i have been here longer than you. You watch my back, ill watch yours and we will stay out of the chiefs office."

Yes, the "standard" crewmember is one of my favorites, as well. If you hear, "I'm standard and pretty laid back," well, I hope you're not on a four-day. However, like someone mentioned early in the thread, I had one guy tell me, "I try to be laid back. I know a lot of guys say that and then they're not, but I do my best. If I'm doing something you don't like or I'm getting on your nerves for some reason, let me know." Sure enough, he was one of the easiest guys to fly with, and very "standard" as well, without having to tell me he was. Very impressive, IMHO.

I have no problem with anyone reading the paper or a book while "in cruise." I do have a problem with the guy who turns on the autopilot after about 1000 feet and then goes to his case and pulls out the "Hardy Boys Mystery."

Hats off the all the captains who have bought the beer on the overnights!

My favorite brief is "The only reason i am the capt is i have been here longer than you. You watch my back, ill watch yours and we will stay out of the chiefs office."

Amen!!!!!!!! Keep each other out of trouble, and talk about it over a beer on the overnight.

I like the FOs who pull out the paper on their leg and then proceed to completely unfold it so that they cannot see any engine instruments, flight instruments, or any daylight through the windows. Then they turn to you and ask you if you are "one of those captains" that has a problem with it. Hmm...yeah, on your leg I have a problem with having to fly the airplane. You're not at home in bed on a Sunday morning...

Some people who think they are laidback seem to confuse being lazy with being easy going. There's a big difference.

Just remember that the CA is always right.. We went through the type and it's our asz.
Ha Ha Ha that's what you hear if you speak up. Just do you job the way you were trained and if we have a problem with it then the chief pilot will always agree with whoever is doing what the book says.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back