• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I'm Standard

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My goal is to create an atmosphere relaxed enough so my FO will speak up if she or he is concerned about something or knows something that should be brought to my attention, but strict enough so that I don't get walked on all day long. If this means I pick my battles and every once in a while a procedure is bent, so be it. My brief is I give no brief. I always fly the first leg when I am with someone for the first time. I kind of set the procedural bar and then expect them to conform to it. If they scare me, I get upset otherwise....party on. As for reading in the cockpit....only if it has pictures.

Ditto. If my FO, with a grin on his face, actually says to me "What the fu&# are you doing?" at some point I know my mission for the month has been accomplished. For one, the FO is challenging my (incorrect, idiotic) actions, and secondly, he's doing it in such an otherwise abusive manner that it's clear we have built a solid rapport and that I can challenge/correct him if necessary without completely derailing the cockpit atmosphere.

And after a year or two of FOing I also took to grimacing when the "I'm standard, really laid back, let's stay safe, not get violated, and have fun in that order" line of BS was briefed. It usually meant expect wildly nonstandard flying, at times abject danger, risk to my continued employment and certificate, cockpit tension, and zero fun.

Last edited:
If I was a captain (which I'm not) I would tell my FOs I am going to fly it like its a checkride, and if ANYTHING pops up that makes US feel uncomfortable we need to speak to each other and provide a resolution, we need to both have "thick skins" to suggestions (grain of salt) If I was a captain I would not try to instruct the FO unless he/she was encroaching on limitations safety. One thing I've found is everybody flies differently and just about everyone arrives at about the same safety and outcome. Most people learn well enough doing it day after day.

The only thing I look forward to with this job is reading. I know that each week I'll finish a good book. Great way to make the day go by. For those of you wimps who dont like it when people read then I say F you! Its not that hard to put the book down and scan or do something else. And for those of you who say that you'll have a hard time putting on your O2 mask? I bet I get it on faster they you, you old greasy fart. Now, let me get back to my book!

My favorites were....

Ok, im laid back, standard and by the book. When its your leg its your plane.

translation

im an uptight pain in the arse. When its your leg, its actually my leg and you are flying.

The worst Captains that I've had are the ones that sit there, turn the hot mic off, and say nothing the entire trip. Conversations are impossible...you ask them something to strike up a conversation and get a one word response. If you're really that miserable then stay home. This also goes for FO's who are like this.

I always fly the first leg when I am with someone for the first time. I kind of set the procedural bar and then expect them to conform to it. If they scare me, I get upset otherwise....party on. As for reading in the cockpit....only if it has pictures.

I agree with that. I prefer CA to fly first so I see how they do things and if it isn't unsafe or against the manual I'll do it their way. Case in point, like when to turn the A/P on. I've been yelled at for not turning it on early enough. Sometimes I just feel like hand flying for awhile.

My goal is to create an atmosphere relaxed enough so my FO will speak up if she or he is concerned about something or knows something that should be brought to my attention, but strict enough so that I don't get walked on all day long. If this means I pick my battles and every once in a while a procedure is bent, so be it. My brief is I give no brief. I always fly the first leg when I am with someone for the first time. I kind of set the procedural bar and then expect them to conform to it. If they scare me, I get upset otherwise....party on. As for reading in the cockpit....only if it has pictures.

That being said....the better you think you are, the more I am going to mess with you. It sounds cruel and mean but really I am doing you a favor. Imagine what you get when a c^cky FO upgrades?

The hardest thing in life is learning to look at situation through someone else's perspective. When you upgrade remember what it was like to fly with the "hot mic off" jerk for a month. Or remember flying with the nit-picker. I can tell you that I would never go out of my way to help these jerks out. I've had many an FO "bail me out" when it comes to stuff and I appreciate it. So here's to you "Mr. Regional Airline First Officer...."

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back