I'm SOOOOOO Proud!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TonyC said:
A strike is not something that a bunch of folks just up and decide to do. A legal strike is sanctioned by the NMB, according to the RLA.

Well, I take that back. We could just up and do it, but it wouldn't be legal, and it would likely result in us getting fired. So, I guess you really do have a choice; you can work or get fired.
Incorrect.

BOTH the ALPA and PFAA contracts allow for a sympathy strike, but both units have decided AGAINST such an action, stating that "... it would not be in our best interests..."

The main issue here is that AMFA is not AFL-CIO and, as a result, they don't get any NATIONAL support from anyone except other AMFA groups.

The only people who would be "technically" considered "SCABS" would be other mechanics from other airlines (furloughed or not) who come to work, cross the picket lines, and turn wrenches on the aircraft.

Everyone else (pilots, F/A's, etc) are slaves to their short-sighted MEC's decision to work and have no choice.

Personally, I believe those employee groups with INTEGRITY and HONOR for the professional (as well as common sense to see their own future riding on this), should write up every single nut, bolt, rivet, light, seat cushion, WHATEVER is not EXACTLY to specs. Without their union's support, it's all they can do.

Like I said on the other thread;

Won't it be a great picture to see the Leader of the National Union crossing the MX picket line to go fly his big jet, on the cover of ALPA magazine.

FoxHunter said:
Are you saying that if in the future ALPA at FedEx strikes and FedEx contracts with Polar, Atlas, Gemini or others that they would not be considered Scabs according to your definition?

Was the ALPA strike in support of the IAM legal at EAL? Just trying to learn.:(

I agree! Where is the difference between these two?

At EAL you had Frank and management team tearing a airline apart, taking advantage of the employee groups. MX strikes and pilots honor. Pilots that flew are called scabs until the end of time.

Well it looks to me every NWA pilots that fly a jet today are no different. Where am I wrong on this?

You won't see Duane Baby flying anything. But back to the scab mechanics.....its about time we got a list of these losers. There is a rumor that a handful of Mesaba mechanics went to the NEW NWA.

COpilot said:
I agree! Where is the difference between these two?

At EAL you had Frank and management team tearing a airline apart, taking advantage of the employee groups. MX strikes and pilots honor. Pilots that flew are called scabs until the end of time.

Well it looks to me every NWA pilots that fly a jet today are no different. Where am I wrong on this?

The difference is that the EAL MEC decided that they were going to sympathy strike which meant that no eastern airline pilots we going to fly.So any pilot that flew crossed thier own picket line. Last night, the NWA MEC decided that they were not going to sympathy strike, so the pilots have no picket line of their own. Thats the difference.

BL

FoxHunter said:
Are you saying that if in the future ALPA at FedEx strikes and FedEx contracts with Polar, Atlas, Gemini or others that they would not be considered Scabs according to your definition?

Was the ALPA strike in support of the IAM legal at EAL? Just trying to learn.:(

Hey Fox, it gets really complicated. When I was on strike, we got a guide from the MEC that was made in conjunction with ASA, ACA and Delta. It explained what struck work is and what to do if asked to perform it. It is impossible to memorize all the stuff, but rest assured, thosewho need to know the definition of struck work know! And woe be unto those who show up anyway!

Lear70 said:
Incorrect.

BOTH the ALPA and PFAA contracts allow for a sympathy strike, but both units have decided AGAINST such an action, stating that "... it would not be in our best interests..."
If both contracts allow for sympathy strikes, then what you have added is correct also. That doesn't make what I said incorrect. Absent such a Sympathy Strike provision, a group can't just up and strike.

Y'all are wasting your time responding to FoxHunter. He is not "just trying to learn." He is only here to stir the pot. He withdrew his membership from ALPA, stopped paying dues, lost his vote, and lost his voice.

Thanks, Lear. Actually, I have encouraged an illegal strike. When Hank Duffy and the Exec Council failed to go ahead with the SOS in the 80's over drug testing and security for crews, the die was cast. I would have walked over that one.

The CBA's at UA and USAir today (and the forthcoming one at NW) are the inevitible result of the failure of labor to maintain cohesion over the past couple of decades. We are getting what we asked for.

ALPA National is run by a bunch of politically motivated ground hogs who are more afraid of airplanes than a class of "fearful flyers". At least the people in the class are trying to get in an airplane instead of desperately trying to avoid it.

Good luck NWA people. Remember, you can't fly an airplane if you writer's cramp. ;) TC

TonyC said:
If both contracts allow for sympathy strikes, then what you have added is correct also. That doesn't make what I said incorrect. Absent such a Sympathy Strike provision, a group can't just up and strike.

Y'all are wasting your time responding to FoxHunter. He is not "just trying to learn." He is only here to stir the pot. He withdrew his membership from ALPA, stopped paying dues, lost his vote, and lost his voice.

No Tony, I have not lost my voice. You have just no chosen to listen. You are one of the guys that spoke in favor of the FPA/ALPA merger. Your are correct that I opposed it. I had always stated that ALPA had become weak and inefffective. FedEx pilots were sold a Lemon.:(

Latest resources

Back