Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AA717driver

A simpler time...
Both the NW FA's and ALPA (whoda' thought?) refused to cross the AMFA picket line.

The next time someone laments the weakness of our "profession", I'm gonna resist the urge to come across the table after them and, instead, remind them of this 'shining moment' in labor history.

Good luck, NW folks, you just voted for your next concessionary contract.

I'm actually glad I got laid off and took a $30k/yr. pay cut. Not belonging to a worthless union is worth every penny!TC

What happened? What did I miss?

Linky?

Easy trigger. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Let's hope that most NWA pilots and FAs will find a LOT of discrepencies on their aircraft ... enough to keep the lowlife scabs busy for a very long time. Long enough to delay/cancel a lot of flights.

For those of us at UAL (OK, I've been furloughed for longer than I worked for UAL), the 'summer of love' demonstrated Ghandi-like passive resistance very well.

This is truly a landmark battle for all unions. All the best to my brothers and sisters at NWA.

AA717driver said:
Both the NW FA's and ALPA (whoda' thought?) refused to cross the AMFA picket line.

Are you saying the FA's and Pilots are honoring the AMFA picketline and refusing to work? Where did you find this out?

VampyreGTX said:
Everywhere I look I see mentions of the pilots and FA's stating they will cross the lines and work. Do you have a link to back up the comments you made?

You all fail to notice the sarcasm in the original post. The original poster is pointing out the hypocrisy of the NW pilots and FA's in crossing the picket line.

rightrudder said:
You all fail to notice the sarcasm in the original post. The original poster is pointing out the hypocrisy of the NW pilots and FA's in crossing the picket line.
oh brother...if the mx strike is legal, how can the pilots and flight attendants cross? I'm not trying to be a smart ass here, but to me, the crossing appears to be the begining of the end.

FN FAL said:
oh brother...if the mx strike is legal, how can the pilots and flight attendants cross? I'm not trying to be a smart ass here, but to me, the crossing appears to be the begining of the end.
A strike is not something that a bunch of folks just up and decide to do. A legal strike is sanctioned by the NMB, according to the RLA.

Well, I take that back. We could just up and do it, but it wouldn't be legal, and it would likely result in us getting fired. So, I guess you really do have a choice; you can work or get fired.

NWA AMFA has been released by the NMB to self-help. There are a number of avenues they can persue, and a withholding of services is one. Since it's condoned by the NMB, the company can't fire them just for striking.

Some Collective Bargaining Agreements (contracts) allow workers to engage in sympathy strikes. Some do not. I don't know what the NWA ALPA contract allows. If a sympathy strike is allowed, those who engage in it are afforded the same protections as the unit on strike. If it isn't, well, again, you work or get fired.

If a sympathy strike is not allowed, then those employees are essentially being forced to continue working. As you might imagine, those employees that are being forced to work during such an event won't be the happiest or most productive employees the company has ever had.

Can the Union member Police officer provide security at the airport on the other side of the picket line? Yes. Can the union member firefighter fight a fire on the ramp on the other side of the picket line? Yes. Can a retired American mechanic perform maintenance on a NWA airplane on the other side of the picket line? NO, that's struck work, and that would make him a scab.

TonyC said:
A strike is not something that a bunch of folks just up and decide to do. A legal strike is sanctioned by the NMB, according to the RLA.

Well, I take that back. We could just up and do it, but it wouldn't be legal, and it would likely result in us getting fired. So, I guess you really do have a choice; you can work or get fired.

NWA AMFA has been released by the NMB to self-help. There are a number of avenues they can persue, and a withholding of services is one. Since it's condoned by the NMB, the company can't fire them just for striking.

Some Collective Bargaining Agreements (contracts) allow workers to engage in sympathy strikes. Some do not. I don't know what the NWA ALPA contract allows. If a sympathy strike is allowed, those who engage in it are afforded the same protections as the unit on strike. If it isn't, well, again, you work or get fired.

If a sympathy strike is not allowed, then those employees are essentially being forced to continue working. As you might imagine, those employees that are being forced to work during such an event won't be the happiest or most productive employees the company has ever had.

Can the Union member Police officer provide security at the airport on the other side of the picket line? Yes. Can the union member firefighter fight a fire on the ramp on the other side of the picket line? Yes. Can a retired American mechanic perform maintenance on a NWA airplane on the other side of the picket line? NO, that's struck work, and that would make him a scab.

Are you saying that if in the future ALPA at FedEx strikes and FedEx contracts with Polar, Atlas, Gemini or others that they would not be considered Scabs according to your definition?

Was the ALPA strike in support of the IAM legal at EAL? Just trying to learn.:(

Yeah, good job with the strike and all the support. All the employees can now maintain their pride while searching for a new job. Congrats.

Latest resources

Back