• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I'm Back, no college degree required

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My friend, I agree with you 100% on that. Education doesn't necessary correlate to a degree any more than hours and experience are tied. They're not.

I do think that everyone, given the opportunity, should seek a degree if they can. A degree of it's own accord confers nothing more than accreditation; it's paper and documentation. A degree based on the hard effort of the bearer, on the other hand is a record not only of effort bu accomplishment, and can serve as the basis of greater things to come.

For the one who lacks such credentials, it's a much steeper climb.

I'll agree with that Av. I flew night freight in MU-2's, flew for the regionals for 6 years and then went to SWA, all wihout a degree. HR folks didn't seem to care, as other areas of ones resume is not dependent on just having a degree. However, for my own satisfastion, I did obtain the mighty BS degree online, but only for the purpose of self gratification, nothing else. Did I need it? Nope. Does it make me a better pilot? Nope. Do I regret paying for it? Nope.

The list goes on, but it does not truly define one's character in itself.

Ah yes the infamous degree battle, well there is more to this story. The fact that Pilot Yips son has made it into USA Jet management with out a degree is the whole reasoning behind this charade. With a degree you have opportunities beyond the cockpit, with out a degree you are more likely chasing jobs from cockpit to cockpit. I know that most people with degrees end up working in fields that have nothing to do with their respective degree. A degree plays a part in social interfunction and understanding certain aspects of social interaction. It has nothing to do with being a pilot and or your flying skills, but it has everything to with being terminated in an economy such as ours. Which is why I am happy to have earned a BS degree for situations such as this. The mass incompentance of CH!

A degree doesn't make one a better pilot, a smarter person, etc. The degree requirement is there to dwindle down the number of applicants, an easy way to shorten the stack of resumes.

So What?

Ah yes the infamous degree battle, well there is more to this story. The fact that Pilot Yips son has made it into USA Jet management with out a degree is the whole reasoning behind this charade. With a degree you have opportunities beyond the cockpit, with out a degree you are more likely chasing jobs from cockpit to cockpit. I know that most people with degrees end up working in fields that have nothing to do with their respective degree. A degree plays a part in social interfunction and understanding certain aspects of social interaction. It has nothing to do with being a pilot and or your flying skills, but it has everything to with being terminated in an economy such as ours. Which is why I am happy to have earned a BS degree for situations such as this. The mass incompentance of CH!
My son, who I taught to fly in high school, graduated from one of the top prep schools in the Detroit area. He had a Navy ROTC scholarship to the U of Airz, dropped out after his first year cause he said college is a waste of time. He wanted to fly. He joined the Army and flew for 11 years helo and fixed wing. His last assignment was at a C-12 YIP transport company with worldwide assignments. I talked him out of going to Net Jets where he had a job offer, because we were desperate for Captains and he would be making twice as much as USA Jet DA-20 Captain than he would as a NJ F/O. Plus I would have my grandkids in the back yard. For that I am truly grateful. I may have made a mistake doing that, for he has lived under my precived shadow since he came to USA Jet, it does not matter that he did it on his own. For that I am sorry. He came to USA Jet and became a DC-9 Captain in four years, which was a longer time than many of the pilots hired at the same time he was, such as Goose. He is now the Chief Pilot for a Gov’t operation. He has raised three fantastic children, who are all going to college, unless my grandson gets into the Trade School then he also will skip college. No person could be more proud of his or her child than I am. Also all of his cousins have college degrees, most still live at home in their late 20's Their degrees in Art, Photography, History, and French have done nothing to enable them to earn a living beyond Starbucks, Barnes and Noble, etc. Marketable skills are the key to succession life, and college and marketable skills are not necessarily the same. I know too many successful people I admire who do not have degrees and I know many that I consider failure who have degrees. . It seems the people at this site believe all non-degreed people are losers and degreed people are superior. BTW most of the people on this site so narrow minded they cannot stand someone having a different option that they do, so I am unfairly beat up because of my beliefs. BTW A degree plays a part in social interfunction and understanding certain aspects of social interaction. You don't think you can develope these skills in other social settings such as an Officer in the military?

Last edited:
Oh this is getting good. I think I will put some popcorn on and see what happens. JUS pilot is bitter, I don't think he could get another flying job.

make it micro-wave, you won't have to wait so long then

It seems the people at this site believe all non-degreed people are losers and degreed people are superior. BTW most of the people on this site so narrow minded they cannot stand someone having a different option that they do, so I am unfairly beat up because of my beliefs. BTW A degree plays a part in social interfunction and understanding certain aspects of social interaction. You don't think you can develope these skills in other social settings such as an Officer in the military?

Yip, seeing as you hold advanced degrees, you really have no place to talk.

I certainly don't believe that individuals who don't hold a degree are "losers." I don't believe individuals with degrees are "superior."

Then again, where you don't have a leg to stand on with respect to the matter, I do. How ironic is that?

As far as becoming an officer in the military...generally speaking...that requires a degree.

Let's not forget that the "trade school" of which you speak, into which your grandson hopes to go...is a military academy...to get a degree.

Time to call a spade, a spade. The only problem for you, in your crusade, is that you really have no right to talk. After all...you hold a degree.

It seems the people at this site believe all non-degreed people are losers and degreed people are superior. BTW most of the people on this site so narrow minded they cannot stand someone having a different option that they do, so I am unfairly beat up because of my beliefs.

No most people on this forum disagree with you counseling people to forgo getting a degree. I can't think of a single incident where somebody has shown disdain for people without degrees. If anything you seem to be the one with a disdian for people with degrees. For the record I never attended college.

You don't think you can develope these skills in other social settings such as an Officer in the military?

Somebody can correct me on this but I believe you need a degree to be an officer in the military these days.

It has been posted that I am anti-college degree. Nothing cold is further from the truth. The country needs all the college-educated citizens it can have, its raises the level of knowledge to keep this as the greatest country in the world. Real degrees in business, engineering, the sciences, math, and medicine provide a graduate with marketable skills. If you are going to go to college, get a real degree from a real university. Do not spend four years getting a degree in Women’s Studies. The college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. Many have posted they agree it has nothing to do with the mastering on an airplane. I have admitted that the possession of a degree may open doors at a few select places of employment in the airline industry. If a potential pilot feels they will only be pleased in life if they get an interview with FedEx, then that prospective pilot should go to college. If a prospective pilots just loves flying airplanes, and would be happy making $70-$100K per year with no debt from college loans, a college degree is not necessary. Many prospective pilots may be steered into attending college when they are not college material, not because of a lack basic intelligence, but because it is not important to them. These pilots want to get on with their lives flying airplanes. I have seen too many non-degreed pilots reach a good career position with out a degree. But then my focus is on job satisfaction and not upon pay, respect, and prestige. It is about the joy of flying an airplane. Others out there may feel the same motivation I do. My advice is go to school part time or community college and fly, pilots get hired because they have flight time. Flt time moves you up the food chain to better jobs; the degree is not needed until the last step. You can go to school part time with a full time flying job, you cannot build real flight time while going to school full time. I have seen non-degreed guys go to the Nationals in their mid-20’s.

Latest resources

Back