I'm a New Hire!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cool deal
At first all the info is a lot to absorb. You will be playing catch up on the first few flights. Don't let that worry you its a natural part of transitioning into a jet. Nothing like a sunset from FL410. Good Luck

Oh yea. Now you will need to start thinking at least 100miles in front of you!

Good job! Nice to hear about the happy endings! thanks for your reply to my resume post and good luck with the job!

OUTSTANDING

First I'd like to say CONGRATS!

I to went from flight instructing to flying a Lear 25D a few years back......The first few flights I was still on the ramp trying to get the door closed at the departure airport while the Captain was calling for the shutdown checklist...at the destination....It took me a couple hundred hours to get "comfortable" (and I use it sparingly) with the airplane.....after about a year and a few hundred hours in the airplane I was just about to figure it out.:D

I loved the performance taking off empty....(what an adreanline rush)

Just be humble and learn all you can...The Lear is a great airplane, respect her and she will take good care of you. I really learned how to "hand fly" while operating the 20 series as the autopilot was notorius(sp?) for failing....(at least ours was)....

Again Congratulations and enjoy!

:cool:

The Lear 35 is a great machine, it was my first jet... I have about 1,000 hours in them... if you have any questions please feel free to PM me...

Good luck and fly safe! You'll love your new job!

Congratulations. I hope you have a blast in the Lear. I have heard them described as being as close to a figher you can get without wearing a flightsuit and as being some of the most fun you can have while clothed. Enjoy yourself.

AWESOME DUDE

I know just how you feel dude. I was fortunate enough to get my break in Learjets about 31/2 years ago, and have loved it 99% of the time. My free and highly suspect advice is as folows:

Don't believe all the horror stories you hear about the jet. They are propagated by egotists or folks who never became fully aquinted with the jet.

Learjets are actually honest, stable airplanes that are flown like any other A/C you've ever been in. Once you get past the OH MY G... LOOK HOW FAST WERE GOING!, You'll find it really is just another airplane. I mean good grief, if I can fly the dumb things...

The Lear is an instrument airplane. unlike the types you've flown before, your not gonna find many usefull parts of the AC to compare to the horizon, It's all behind you. Even on a sunny day, a good portion of flying will be "heads down." Stare at the flight instruments and make them do exactly what you want. Instead of a "primary/supporting" method you may have learned for instrument flying, THe Lear is all ADI. Put the yellow airplane and thrust levers where you want them, and cross-check the other instruments to make sure they follow.

The Lear, even more than some other jets is a trim hog. You will be trimming in orders of magnitude that you never have. The 20 series have an audible trim in motion clacker. Watch the folks you fly with and observe (listen) to how they use the trim.

Pick the brains of everyone you fly with. Even someone new to turbojet ops can seperate the sane from the otherwise, use their experience to help you learn. You didn't mention if you're going to SF or FSI, hopefully they are sending you. If not, YOU are the one responsible for learning the A/C, but there are lots of us to help you out. Some random observations:

CHAIR FLY IN THE COCKPIT

WATCH OTHER LEARS TAKEOFF AND LAND, PUT YOURSELF IN THE COCKPIT MENTALLY, AND TRY MAKING ALL THE CALLOUTS. This will help a lot your first flight.

DO NOT EVER FLY WITH ANY LUNATIC WHO VIOLATES ANY LIMITATION OR LEARJET PROCEDURE. I don't care how much you love this job and how experienced Captain "America" may seem, SPEAK UP! It is NOT OK to land over max landing weight. It is NOT OK to depart over MATOGW. It is NOT OK to pull the tone gen breaker and fly past redline. It IS NOT OK to duck under minimums "just to take a look" The Learjet supposedely "rolls real nice.." IF YOU'RE NOT SITTING NEXT TO PETE REYNOLDS, (LR Test Pilot) DON'T DO IT.

The Learjet is a safe effective Aircraft that will bring you home time and again if you fly it by the book, treat it suspiciously, and blindly adhere to all regulatory and procedural guidance. In the hands of some "wanna be" the Learjet deserves the bad rep it sometimes gets. OK, warnings aside, your gonna love the airplane. If I can do anything to help you out, DON'T HESITATE TO DROP ME A LINE.

The best advice I can give you is:

BE HUMBLE
HAVE A BLAST, BRO!

Warmest Regards,

DAN

Thanks everyone.

I spent about three hours in the airplane today while two techs tried to get the AI on my side to spin up. No luck today. It's ok, though, it's not the only plane we have. While they worked, I sketched the panel and read the flight manual, going over checklists, emergency procedures, limitations, the works. I'm sure it will seem simpler when I watch the preflight being demonstrated. For instance, the trim tests are different depending on serial number, and the manual lists all of the versions possible. Same thing with autopilot tests, stall warning tests, and the like.

The boss has already told me to expect to be behind the airplane for a few flights. I'm going to try and limit just how far behind I am.

I'd like to see a diagram showing the correct way to get past the pedestal and into the seat. Is it easier to get into a 45? I think I'm going to start doing ab crunches again...

Latest resources

Back